Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations

The Football Manager Forums have complaints from users unhappy over the fact that Windows and OS X editions of Football Manager 2012 will require a one-time online activation through Steam as an anti-piracy measure (thanks Develop). There are pages of objections to this from fans of the sports simulation who don't seem to find this reasoning from SEGA acceptable:

Make no mistake, if a quarter of the people that usually pirate the game switch to purchasing Football Manager 2012, the sales of the game worldwide would more than double. This would lead to increased development budgets and more benefits for all of you who do buy the game.

We've taken this decision because we believe that the steps the consumer has to take are not excessive, and that as a one-time only measure with no tracking or reporting it is not too intrusive. Having worked with Steam for a few years now we also believe that their system is ever improving and gives Football Manager players a good service of free auto-updating, achievements and other great benefits without cost or hassle.

We hope you understand and support the decision. It's by no means taken lightly, although I hope for the vast majority of you it's nowhere near as big an issue as we treat it as being.

In summary:

• You need to connect to the internet to activate Football Manager 2012 on PC and Mac before you start playing it
  • To activate you will need to sign up to, and install the Steam client
  • Once you have activated Football Manager 2012 you can then play it in Steam's "offline mode" - meaning you do not have to be connected to the internet to play
  • Saved games are stored locally on your machine, but you can play Football Manager on any machine by signing into Steam and selecting it from your purchased games
  • Staying connected to Steam will mean Football Manager 2012 is automatically updated with any patches or data updates released

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Oct 3, 2011, 21:33 vermin

Prez wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:36:
That's a possible issue with many games. Which is why it is great that Steam allows you to turn off auto-updating. It's very easy to do, and it can be done for each game individually.

except when you need to be on a specific version, like in almost all previous football manager games you are fucked with steam, which is either latest version or original release. complete garbage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. removed Sep 29, 2011, 08:25 poijsf

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 29, 2011, 08:30.

23. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 29, 2011, 02:45 theyarecomingforyou

AnointedSword wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 16:38:
Good job. Trying to justify pirating is like trying to justify your decision for voting for Obama. It is laughable.
And what would that make voting for McCain/Palin: certifiable insanity?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 19:47 Dev

briktal wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:27:
One problem is that this is the kind of game where you might not want to be running the latest update.
I'm not too familiar with this kinda game, its SP mostly right? In that case you can tell steam to turn off the auto updates if that might be an issue for you
Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 12:19:
And they know how many people pirate this how?
Like most companies they probably just take a quick glance at the top torrent sites and assume thats representative. Companies see X hundred thousand or million downloads on torrents and the dollar signs start blinking in their brains. When that happens with ubi, they do nutty always on stuff. With football manager, using steam seems pretty reasonable to me.

I'm curious to see what will happen. I'm guessing that their sales might hit a slight uptick, but that most people who pirate it will just keep pirating it.

21. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 17:41 Quboid

AnointedSword wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 16:38:
Good job. Trying to justify pirating is like trying to justify your decision for voting for Obama. It is laughable.

Trying to justify pirating is like trying to justify bringing irrelevant political bullshit into a discussion. Your trolling isn't laughable.

- Quboid

20. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 16:38 AnointedSword

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

19. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 14:36 Prez

briktal wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:27:

One problem is that this is the kind of game where you might not want to be running the latest update.

That's a possible issue with many games. Which is why it is great that Steam allows you to turn off auto-updating. It's very easy to do, and it can be done for each game individually.
Always, always, always promote the positives. Never engage in negative 'piracy' talk. After all, preventing piracy isn't a positive for the paying consumer.

Sense. If you don't work in marketing, you ought to.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 14:35 Prez

double post deleted

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 14:27 briktal

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:16:
It would have been wiser to promote what the Steam platform brings to the gaming experience, rather than mentioning piracy. For instance, they could have touted the ability to push out updates to the season roster via the Steam update service, earn achievements (like they did), utilise the matchmaking service for online play and the ability to store progress / saved games online through Steam Cloud.

Always, always, always promote the positives. Never engage in negative 'piracy' talk. Afterall, preventing piracy isn't a positive for the paying consumer. Personally I love Steam but I accept that it has its flaws and can understand why people would object. Therefore it's simply not tactful to say "if the people that played our games weren't stinky pirates we wouldn't be forced to use Steam".

16. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 14:16 theyarecomingforyou

It would have been wiser to promote what the Steam platform brings to the gaming experience, rather than mentioning piracy. For instance, they could have touted the ability to push out updates to the season roster via the Steam update service, earn achievements (like they did), utilise the matchmaking service for online play and the ability to store progress / saved games online through Steam Cloud.

Always, always, always promote the positives. Never engage in negative 'piracy' talk. Afterall, preventing piracy isn't a positive for the paying consumer. Personally I love Steam but I accept that it has its flaws and can understand why people would object. Therefore it's simply not tactful to say "if the people that played our games weren't stinky pirates we wouldn't be forced to use Steam".

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

15. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 13:52 Buckermann

What Creston said is true.
Also, the core group of FM player are no hardcore gamer, like us Blue's reader. They are mostly casual gamer who buy one or two games a year. And this steam activation is new for them.
I had the same feelings when steam started to be a requirement for my games.

14. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 13:47 Creston

necrosis wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 13:29:
People are pissing and moaning over a one time activation? Do these fuckheads even play anything other than farmville on their PC's?

One time activation online is tame as shit compared to what else is out there. This whole thing is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

I think previous versions of FM just had a disc check, so if you go from that to having to sign up for Steam, I can see why you'd feel it was a big annoyance.

Creston

13. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 13:44 necrosis

Halo wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 13:37:
People are pissing and moaning over a one time activation? Do these fuckheads even play anything other than farmville on their PC's?

One time activation online is tame as shit compared to what else is out there. This whole thing is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

It was harder to pull out your manual turn to page X and find word 46
Seriously. I love the people who are like 'My internet connection isn't good! Im on dialup!"... really? If your connection is so bad you can't connect for 30 seconds to authorize your copy you have serious issues.

12. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 13:37 Halo

It was harder to pull out your manual turn to page X and find word 46

11. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 13:29 necrosis

10. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 12:51 Creston

Although I understand the complaint in principle, they should kinda be glad the game isn't being released by Blizzard or Ubisoft.

All things considered, Steam's fairly mellow DRM.

Creston

9. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 12:48 KilrathiAce

SEGA, make no mistake this will not affect ur sales lol.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

8. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 12:48 Quboid

Is this different from other Steam games? Is the "one time activation" new or do they mean the usual Steam stuff. I know the FM community is relatively untechnical, for many using Steam is scary.

I've no doubt that FM is heavily pirated. Whether it is 4:1 as they imply is anyone's guess (including theirs, counting torrent peers can't be very reliable), the idea that effective DRM would convert a quarter of these into sales is bogus - and the idea that DRM is effective is laughable.

- Quboid

7. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 12:42 netWilk

Sadly, I can only see the number of paying customers decreasing (those angry with the decision) as the game will still be pirated anyway.  

6. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 12:33 Elf Shot The Food

Hating Steam and refusing to use it is so 2006.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo