Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans

GameSpy interviews Alan Wilson, of Tripwire Interactive about post-release support for Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, the World War II first-person shooter sequel. Alan describes how they are "madly" working at addressing key issues with the release version of the game, listing the top three priorities as fixing crashes, the server browser, and the stats system. He also discusses performance improvements, changes to the lockdown system, how problems with lag and rubber-banding are mainly due to overloaded servers. He also admits that they mistakenly thought players were no longer interested in game manuals, and that they are working on one to add to the game on Steam, offering a draft version of it for download in Adobe Acrobat format through FilePlanet.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 29, 2011, 10:58 Overon

KilrathiAce wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 12:53:
Overon wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 10:13:
Fileplanet exclusive?

Overon, once the manual is finished it will be on steam of course as for the work in progress you can download it with free membership on fileplanet.
Looks like fileplanet has changed, I don't have to jump through multiple hoops anymore to download something. Good job fileplanet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 14:15 bhcompy

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:12:
Bhruic wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 13:52:
The hoops you gotta go through to get into a game to even change your options or settings is retarded.

Yes, yes it is. For those not in the beta, you have to be in-game to change your settings. That is, actually playing in a round. You can't change them if you are dead. You can't change them if you haven't spawned. So in order to fiddle around with your game settings, you have to spawn into the game, and hope that no one sees you and kills you. Why? Because as soon as you are killed, the settings screen closes, and you have to start all over again - once you've respawned.

Sheer idiocy, and if they release the game in that state, I'll be pretty pissed. The only reason I'm giving them a pass is because of the hope that this is merely a beta restriction, and won't be present in the final game.

I was watching the TotalBiscuit video preview of the beta last night while waiting for the beta to download and he was saying he joined in the game, started changing his settings then he was booted from the game for inactivity. Whoever made that decision and to have friendly fire on in the beta was a really smart person.

Didn't UE games and some others(Serious Sam?) used to have external configuration tools(like a VB type window) where you handle all of your settings without having to log in to the game? That's all that is really needed.

13. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 14:12 SpectralMeat

Bhruic wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 13:52:
The hoops you gotta go through to get into a game to even change your options or settings is retarded.

Yes, yes it is. For those not in the beta, you have to be in-game to change your settings. That is, actually playing in a round. You can't change them if you are dead. You can't change them if you haven't spawned. So in order to fiddle around with your game settings, you have to spawn into the game, and hope that no one sees you and kills you. Why? Because as soon as you are killed, the settings screen closes, and you have to start all over again - once you've respawned.

Sheer idiocy, and if they release the game in that state, I'll be pretty pissed. The only reason I'm giving them a pass is because of the hope that this is merely a beta restriction, and won't be present in the final game.

I was watching the TotalBiscuit video preview of the beta last night while waiting for the beta to download and he was saying he joined in the game, started changing his settings then he was booted from the game for inactivity. Whoever made that decision and to have friendly fire on in the beta was a really smart person.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 13:52 Bhruic

11. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 12:53 KilrathiAce

Overon wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 10:13:
Fileplanet exclusive?

Overon, once the manual is finished it will be on steam of course as for the work in progress you can download it with free membership on fileplanet.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

10. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 12:51 KilrathiAce

This game is great and will be great, HOWEVER it should of been released during winter, maybe around christmas. It wont be ready to play by my standards until then. Good news is that with TWI, you know the game will be polished in few months and in true release state. I think TWI rushed release to compete in sales ahead of games like BF3 but this resulted in a game release in a state thats technically unnacceptable. I hope TWI will never do this again.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

9. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 12:41 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 12:35:
I was just disappointed that Tripwire thought it was ok to release RO2 like this.

The only real problem I have with it is the click not responding 30% of the time when you want to fire. I hope they have this fixed soon, because it's extremely annoying and the cause of numerous deaths

8. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 12:35 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 11:47:
Wait until they release BF3 in a month. Based on the beta feedback from friends (I know it is a beta) it is a freakin mess. The hoops you gotta go through to get into a game to even change your options or settings is retarded. At least with RO2 within 30 seconds of the game launches I am joining into a MP match, and that is something awesome these days with the whackjob server browsers some games have.

I'll most likely skip BF3 unless my clan does a 180 on it, the alpha was alright but I hear beta is a total disaster. I'm inundated with games this holiday season already as it is. I was just disappointed that Tripwire thought it was ok to release RO2 like this.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

7. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 12:30 bhcompy

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 11:47:
Wait until they release BF3 in a month. Based on the beta feedback from friends (I know it is a beta) it is a freakin mess. The hoops you gotta go through to get into a game to even change your options or settings is retarded. At least with RO2 within 30 seconds of the game launches I am joining into a MP match, and that is something awesome these days with the whackjob server browsers some games have.

Need to bring back the days of GS3d and ASE. They're ancient and yet still have the best options for server browsers by far.

6. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 11:47 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 11:37:
The game itself is pretty enjoyable but the state they released is unacceptable. I'll be sure to wait a few months on their next title. On the other hand I like that they are earnest about fixing the games problems rather than the blame the player approach we see so often from publishers.

5. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 11:37 Verno

The game itself is pretty enjoyable but the state they released is unacceptable. I'll be sure to wait a few months on their next title. On the other hand I like that they are earnest about fixing the games problems rather than the blame the player approach we see so often from publishers.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

4. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 11:35 SpectralMeat

Techie714 wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 10:28:
the game is still an outstanding tactical shooter.
Agree 100%, so much fun to play every single time.

3. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 10:28 Techie714

bhcompy wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 10:18:
Considering the complexity of the game, it's ridiculous that it doesn't have a manual

Totally agree & they have a post on the forums that is like 8 pages long of people complaining of this & trying to help each other explain some of the mechanics of the game. Very bad move on TWI part. But the game is still an outstanding tactical shooter.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

2. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 10:18 bhcompy

Considering the complexity of the game, it's ridiculous that it doesn't have a manual  

1. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Draft Manual and Other Post-Release Plans Sep 28, 2011, 10:13 Overon

Fileplanet exclusive?

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo