Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I asked last night for opinions about ditching the bulleted tech lists here in favor of a more timely approach to game news as it arrives. The limited response to this questions was mostly in favor of keeping things as they are, which I probably should have anticipated, since those of you who frequent this site are most likely doing so because you like the way things are. This brings up the question of whether making the change would be beneficial towards growing the audience here, which is desirable, versus the prospect of disappointing the regulars, which is not. This has me contemplating the idea of doing things differently as a trial for a day or two to allow everyone to compare the pros and cons of doing things each way.

R.I.P.: Implantable pacemaker inventor Wilson Greatbatch dies. Thanks Acleacius.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Arcuz 2: Dungeons.
Odd Ducks.
Links: Frank Zappa: the clean-living hellraiser.
Stories: Ice-Cream Shop Owner Forced to Clarify That Mascot Is Not a KKK Member.
Canada has best reputation in the world: study.
Asterix creator Albert Uderzo quits drawing at 84.
Science: Coffee may prevent depression, scientists say.
Rat cyborg gets digital cerebellum.
'Smart' window switches to dark mode to save energy.
Media: The Vote Off - Most Brutal Of The Reality Shows.
MAD TV - The Internet Invades The Thundercats.
If Darth Maul's Entrance was a bit more realistic.
Follow-up: UK medics lead Europe's first embryonic stem cell trial.
'Antimagnet' joins list of invisibility approaches.
HBO's 'Boardwalk Empire' Returns Down. Thanks Dark Horizons.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 08:59 lochwinnoch78

Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 17:44:
Thanks to all the long-time lurkers for responding, btw!

Creston

lol - I'm firmly in that camp. Guess I just haven't had much to say for..oh... ten years or so

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 09:46 Beamer

I definitely dig the tech reviews. I'll browse them maybe only once or twice a week, and click a link maybe only once a month, but when I'm shopping they're invaluable. Although I guess Google handles it.

The other bullets, though, such as the legal, metaverse, etc., I always read. I usually hit one of those links a day, at least. And they're usually pretty current and interesting articles, whereas the "OotB" links are sometimes memes a few days old, haha. Though as I get older it more and more becomes the first place I see them...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

75. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 09:20 Eldaron Imotholin

Never read the first "poll"!

I'd say less tech-bits more game-bits! I only frequent this site due to the already VERY up-to-date game news.

How about adding a beautiful .pdf file from the news of every day? Would be awesome to get a collection of these!

Sorry for that random idea.

Love,
Vince

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

74. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 09:03  Blue 

Kosumo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 03:41:
Also you could get a cat and post about that.

Being a cat person and not a dog person means that, although I like the Gunner man and Hundson the wonder dog, I would like more stroies of cats (in the Bluestower!)

After all the internet is made of cats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8VTeDHjcM

Haha, I love cats, and MrsBlue does too for that matter, but she is deathly allergic, and I mean that literally, she was hospitalized before we met after stopping breathing during an asthma attack as she tried to brave through these allergies to own a pair of cats. I'm sure the dogs would love it if we had cats too, but it's not in the cards.

I want to thank everybody for all the feedback in this thread, I will consider your suggestions. It's also helpful to know that the bulleted lists about which I wrote are actually appreciated by a lot of readers, as one of my concerns is that there are so many links in them that they were getting ignored.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

73. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 03:41 Kosumo

Also you could get a cat and post about that.

Being a cat person and not a dog person means that, although I like the Gunner man and Hundson the wonder dog, I would like more stroies of cats (in the Bluestower!)

After all the internet is made of cats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8VTeDHjcM

72. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 01:24 Kosumo

Love the site.

Love the Frank Zappa links every now and then (although I don't think it helps with get new viewers).

First thing after reinstall a PC is to get the net going, second thing is to homepage Bluesnews

I happy to try other flavours of Bluenews though.

71. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 01:12 Dan =0)

I tend to lurk more than post, but here are my thoughts regarding site layout:

- Keep the wide format, as others have suggested.

- I really like how it's simply one page of links to what is a wide variety of articles that I do click through; maybe make some of the sections that have heaps of links collapsable?

- Sidebar: I barely use it, myself.

- Comments system: Not really sure what I would change here to attract more folks (lurkers and new folks)... though, to be honest, (and this is probably just me) I feel like I might be one who, as Creston had put it, posts something "stupid", so I would prefer instead to post less than more.

*raises hand* Hi, I'm Dan =0), and I've been lurking/posting on Blue's News since... oh, 1998?

EDIT: I do tend to check Blue's several times a day, myself... The comments to a fair number of articles are fun and informative to read, as are the articles themselves.

Bussing back to MA from VA,

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

70. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 00:58 zirik

Creston wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 23:12:
I can see their reason for not putting an SD slot on it: That way you store everything in their cloud.Creston

i was hoping for more expandability. amazon cloud is only unlimited for amazon purchased content. what if you have a lot of non-amazon stuff? other sources like photos downloaded from email attachments or pdf downloaded from the web? its too bad the USB port will only be used for charging the battery. and its not just kindle. it seems all android devices dont have support for mass storage via USB.

69. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 00:00 Beamer

I'm unsure of the Fire. In fairness I have a TouchPad and think that tablets are mostly useless.

I don't understand the Touch, though. With the regular Kindle the buttons to change pages are just under your thumb. With the Touch you have to move and swipe your thumb. I average several pages per minute, so that's a ton of thumb movement. Much, much nicer to just gently push the button.
I guess I'll have to see one in person.

Love my Kindle. Love the new one. Just not loving the Touch, and waiting to see on the Fire.

-------------

68. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 23:33 nin

Shacks comment system maybe works for them but I think its horrendous.

That's a good point I agree with. It feels like a zoo over there.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

67. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 23:26 ZeroCougar

Well Creston spells Kotaku's problems out very nicely and honestly and I fully agree with him.

What I like about here vs other places is how you have the story and link-to source on the main page. VS say other places, but probably other places get cash for having people click on each story. From the writer to site staff. Which is fine you know everybody needs to make money. But as a site visitor it kinda sucks. Here I see if I want to even click on a topic to begin with. And not to mention misleading/poorly written news topic titles on Kotaku.

If you were to make it Kotaku styled, I'd go with putting larger sentences and descriptions to a news bullet point so we can consider how much we want to actually click on them.

As for Shacknews. The cover page. I don't care for it, I'm visiting a news site for news. Not some latest review, not some latest hot topic or game ad or vid that they are ether paid to promote, or the site editor thinks its worth putting on it. I know I can just book mark straight to news. So its kinda a non topic. But if people just skip it anyway why waste the bandwidth?

Also for shack and joystiq, its how there days are not clearly seperated. I come here, I know that I have yesterdays below, and today's on top. I know I have morning news below and afternoon/evening news above. When I visit shack/joystiq its just one giant list. One news topic over another, you end up scrolling a long time to find what you might or might not want to read/know about as well as no clear definition of what was early in the day, or late in the day for news.

Shacks comment system maybe works for them but I think its horrendous. Here I have to click on comments to view them. By clicking that I know that I shouldn't expect all positive comments. You scroll down a shack page and there you see everybody flapping there gums, when sometimes you really don't want to know what people are saying about a given topic.

Opinion wise I enjoy the color scheme here its easy on my eyes anyway.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

66. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 23:12 Creston

I can see their reason for not putting an SD slot on it: That way you store everything in their cloud.

It's really not a tablet, rather an advanced e-reader that allows you to easily partake of Amazon's massive amounts of content. Which is about all I'll use it for, so that works out fine.

Creston

65. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 22:49 nin

Let me know how that pans out, Creston. They look pretty cool. I'll prob look into the second generation or middle of next year, which ever comes first.

Wish they'd put a damn SD slot on them!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

64. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 21:44 Creston

Slightly off-topic (though it was announced today, so maybe sorta on-topic), but I pre-ordered a Kindle Fire. That thing just looks fucking sweet.

I was going to buy my wife a Kindle for Christmas anyways, and though I was tempted to get the 3G touch, the Fire just seems to add a lot more functionality for not many more dollars.

Wifi only is somewhat annoying, but eh. I've never had faith in that whole "you get 3G connectivity unlimited for life!!"
I'm sure AT&T and Verizon will come up with some kind of fucktardery to make you pay for it (and heavily) in the future.

Pretty excited. I bought it for my wife, but... hehe.

Creston

63. Re: One Lurker's Suggestions Sep 28, 2011, 21:24 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 19:20:
toT wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 15:22:
A front page suggestion from me... could there be some indication on the front page when there is a new comment since you last viewed the thread? Carrying over the asterisk that you are currently using inside the comments section to mark a new post to the front page would be a handy way to indicate that new posts were made. It beats trying to remember the number of posts on each story when you revisit later in the day.

This is available here, I know not the front page, but it's practically my front page

Like Beamer, I'll browse the front page about 4 times a day but for the rest of my visits I use the front page to click "News Forum".

In truth I didn't find that for years. Like many or most I've been coming here since 97 or 98, registered the day IGN killed the VE3D forums, yet I didn't start using that link until maybe 2009. Probably 2010.

I can be slow.

-------------

62. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 21:05 zirik

Blue wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 11:02:
To be specific, the sections I picture dispensing with with are: Metaverse, Legal Briefs, Safety Dance, and possibly even Tech Bits.

i actually enjoy reading those sections. maybe they can be consolidated into one?

61. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 20:46 Enahs

nutshell42 wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 19:43:

In short: It's nice that there's one gaming page that's not made for retarded 13 year olds - with dyslexia and a profound disinterest in world affairs - surfing the web on a netbook with a 1024x600 resolution.

I agree with nutshell completely.

As for new content ideas that would not make you do all the work. Interviews do not seem like it would be all that time consuming to try and pump out 1 a week.

Also, reviews. You do not even have to do all the reviewing your self. I really like the 'discussion' type reviewing; where multiple people give their perspective on the same aspect of the game in the same 'article'. I think reviews should be devoid of stupid scores in the end, that is just silly. Just because you do not like something does not mean I will not; but a proper discussion of the various aspects of the game are great. It is also nice when reviewers point out things I might not have noticed, or provided information I might no have known, etc.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

60. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 19:43 nutshell42

1. I love the information density of the site.
The Shacknews frontpage is completely devoid of information and their news page gives you about two shitty headlines and soundbites per page so you develop RSI from getting up-to-date. Too many pictures, not enough content.

2. I love the wide format
Every other fucking page takes up about 20% of my widescreen monitor with gratuitous amounts of white space everywhere else. Add white space between posts, ads everywhere and combine it with the excessive klickibunti style mentioned in 1. makes me wanna shoot their web designers.

3. I think original content would be great
Editorials, interviews, how about an extended review round-up (Joystiq does it sometimes, but thanks to 1. and 2. they're limited to 3 reviews per game), i.e. the major sites, their scores and a sentence or two on the gist.

4. Please keep the wide variety of content
n/t

5. Keep the JS/BS in check.
I'm not a fan of javascript. I see how people who connect to the cloud to enhance their hip social lifestyles like it and I'm ready to accept some of it.
But the stuff that's on the page right now should stay there without having to click all kinds of interactive controls that fade extended content containers into and out of existence. Go to /. Look at the new slashcode. *Don't* do that. God that site went down the drain; I couldn't name anything more horrible than their new comments system.

6. Layout suggestions
Imho you could ditch the whole sidebar for a few dropdowns at the top for people who want it. This would open up space at the left for adding pictures to articles without violating 1&2 too badly.

In short: It's nice that there's one gaming page that's not made for retarded 13 year olds - with dyslexia and a profound disinterest in world affairs - surfing the web on a netbook with a 1024x600 resolution.

59. Re: One Lurker's Suggestions Sep 28, 2011, 19:20 Sepharo

toT wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 15:22:
A front page suggestion from me... could there be some indication on the front page when there is a new comment since you last viewed the thread? Carrying over the asterisk that you are currently using inside the comments section to mark a new post to the front page would be a handy way to indicate that new posts were made. It beats trying to remember the number of posts on each story when you revisit later in the day.

This is available here, I know not the front page, but it's practically my front page

Like Beamer, I'll browse the front page about 4 times a day but for the rest of my visits I use the front page to click "News Forum".

58. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 17:51 Ray Marden

What are you talking about? Terra Nova is one of my all time favorites and is dying for a remake! Wait...you are talking about Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, right?

As for the television show, I will DVR a few episodes, but it does not seem terribly amazing. I have various "Wait, why would...?" type questions, but it just seems like two camps of people having this implausible conflict in an extremely convenient side timeline.

Otherwise, the effects are so so, the people are not terribly realistic, the at-war camp is super peaceful, the dinosaurs do not seem threatening, there are huge divides in the available technology, etc.

Blah blah blah, it just is not that interesting right now. I still have yet to even finish the pilot - I sat down to watch it, but then walked away and let the DVR record. I tried sitting down and watching it more, but went off and did something else thirty minutes later. The show does not seem terribly original, but maybe if they tighten up the dialogue, toss in some real drama, and give us something to wait for...
The cop guy has the most amazing luck.
Thinking of it as an even weaker, dinosaur version of Falling Skies,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo