Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises

The Lord of the Rings Online Website announces that the Rise of Isengard expansion is now live in the Tolkien-inspired MMORPG. This offers three new regions to explore, a new 24-player raid, and raises the game's level cap to 75. Here's the flowery version: "Where ancient forests once flourished, a corrupted waste of metal and wheels suffers under the thrall of the traitorous wizard Saruman. Here, in the shadows of the tower of Orthanc, gathers an army of Orcs and Uruk-hai, toiling to make ready for war. Forge ahead into these devastated lands and uncover new quests, skills, and traits as you strive to thwart Saruman's ambition!"

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: removed Sep 28, 2011, 06:38 Julio

I couldn't make it to my first free 30 days with LOTR, though DDO was a great game and I spent years on it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. removed Sep 28, 2011, 03:28 moncleronline

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 28, 2011, 03:56.

13. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 28, 2011, 00:30 Cutter

Alamar wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 21:12:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 20:59:
I'll grab this when it it hits the bargain bin for sure but $30 is just way too much for this. Anyone's who's never playhed LOTRO and looking for a new MMo to pass the time this is a good one. Still the best environments - artwise - of any game. Really feels like Middle-earth.

Did someone steal your blues news acct?

-Alamar

Why because I like some MMOs and I slam others. I take them on their merits and shortcomings. Some deserve praise and others deserve to be ground into the dirt. That ok with you, sport?

And for those who don't know DDO and LOTRO playing populations and money increased dramatically after going F2P. And so far, only Turbine has dones the F2P model properly. Probably why they're doing so well and others aren't.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 28, 2011, 00:20 DarkCntry

Lorcin wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 22:37:
Really man? When an MMO goes free 2 play it really shouts "I FAILED". Now your complaining that the expansion to a failed mmo isn't worth the money - what did you expect, your $30 would make it compete with wow?

City of Heroes, DDO, WoW (1-20), Champions Online, and a slew of other high-market MMOs would beg to differ with you.

Consider that LOTRO's, and most of the more recent offerings, F2P is an OPTION that allows players to play a basically unrestricted trial without having to buy anything.

The minute a game goes f2p it's dead - and everybody playing beyond a few days checking it out will deny it.

Again, those above games, which are doing just fine (if not better) tends to skew your opinion into being completely wrong.

PS Just to make this awkward - you'll try to extol the virtues of the game, whilst I'll link to subscriber figures, financial comparisons with games launched in the same window and the huge lack of community.

No need, considering those with more than 3 braincells working in unison could achieve the same level of cognizant view of how well those games are doing...

To be clear - if D&Do is lacking community, then LOTRO is trying to host a party in the desert.

A party in the desert....hrm...no one could ever attend one of those with a large turnout...

11. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 23:35 KezClone

Really man? When an MMO goes free 2 play it really shouts "I FAILED". Now your complaining that the expansion to a failed mmo isn't worth the money - what did you expect, your $30 would make it compete with wow?

The minute a game goes f2p it's dead - and everybody playing beyond a few days checking it out will deny it.

PS Just to make this awkward - you'll try to extol the virtues of the game, whilst I'll link to subscriber figures, financial comparisons with games launched in the same window and the huge lack of community.

To be clear - if D&Do is lacking community, then LOTRO is trying to host a party in the desert.

Are you nuts?

10. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 23:34 Paranoid Jack

I really enjoy LotRO. Nearly everything about it is well done and great fun to play. Unfortunately the combat is about the worst I've seen in any MMOG and because this MMOG, like most others, is essentially about the combat, I've never been able to spend more than 2-3 months playing at a time before I just got totally bored because of the combat. Even once you hit 50 almost all the new content is combat based.

LMAO, I almost spit my beer all over my 42" Panasonic monitor... you are able to play two or three months before boring combat finally gets to you? I didn't even make it two weeks in the Star Wars beta the combat was so damned boring.

9. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 23:32 Fion

Frijoles wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 23:05:

Not sure if Turbine troll or serious...

Yea, especially since any more when a game goes F2P it actually gains a pretty large influx of users and often, makes more money than when they were subscriber based. LotRO is a good example of that.

8. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 23:05 Frijoles

Not sure if Turbine troll or serious...

7. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 22:52 Bhruic

whilst I'll link to subscriber figures, financial comparisons with games launched in the same window and the huge lack of community.

Go ahead and provide the links. All they'll do is demonstrate that LotRO has become more financially successful since switching to F2P mode.

6. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 22:37 Lorcin

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 20:57:
This is the most disappointing "expansion" of any MMO I ever played. It's essentially a glorified quest pack with a $30 price tag. I wouldn't mind that essentially but my biggest gripe is they are killing end-game raiders like me until update 5 which isn't coming out till the end of the year. There are no new end game instances and that raid can only be played once a week.

They didn't scale any old instances, they just raised the level of already scalable instances, forcing players to grind the same 3 dailies for the stupid superior 4th marks for raid armor.

Even if you don't purchase the expansion you still get access to the new regions and epic quests, which makes me wonder why pay for this at all. The new level cap is nice but everything else just...blows.

This expansion made me quit the game. End game content is scarce enough, this eliminated all of it with a stupid once a week lair boss.

5. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 22:32 LittleMe

I'll grab this when it it hits the bargain bin for sure but $30 is just way too much for this. Anyone's who's never playhed LOTRO and looking for a new MMo to pass the time this is a good one. Still the best environments - artwise - of any game. Really feels like Middle-earth.

Yeah they should make this free and charge for superfluous stuff. They'd get a lot of new players.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

4. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 21:12 Alamar

Did someone steal your blues news acct?

-Alamar

3. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 21:12 Fion

I really enjoy LotRO. Nearly everything about it is well done and great fun to play. Unfortunately the combat is about the worst I've seen in any MMOG and because this MMOG, like most others, is essentially about the combat, I've never been able to spend more than 2-3 months playing at a time before I just got totally bored because of the combat. Even once you hit 50 almost all the new content is combat based.

Ah well. :/

2. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 20:59 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

1. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Rises Sep 27, 2011, 20:57 Rattlehead

This is the most disappointing "expansion" of any MMO I ever played. It's essentially a glorified quest pack with a $30 price tag. I wouldn't mind that essentially but my biggest gripe is they are killing end-game raiders like me until update 5 which isn't coming out till the end of the year. There are no new end game instances and that raid can only be played once a week.

They didn't scale any old instances, they just raised the level of already scalable instances, forcing players to grind the same 3 dailies for the stupid superior 4th marks for raid armor.

Even if you don't purchase the expansion you still get access to the new regions and epic quests, which makes me wonder why pay for this at all. The new level cap is nice but everything else just...blows.

This expansion made me quit the game. End game content is scarce enough, this eliminated all of it with a stupid once a week lair boss.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo