Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Island Film Optioned

Lionsgate has optioned rights to adapt Dead Island for the big screen, reports FirstShowing, saying the game will play on the Dead Island cinematic trailer that created such a stir, as well as the game itself: "Like the trailer that will serve as its primary creative inspiration, the film Dead Island will be an innovation of the zombie genre because of its focus on human emotion, family ties and non-linear storytelling." A report in February that the film rights to the game were optioned before it was even released were quickly debunked.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 29, 2011, 02:31 Sepharo

I was going to ask why they don't make more films like Cemetery Man and as I was reading the Wiki page I came across mention of a sequel planned for late 2011 early 2012. Wonder if that's still going to happen?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 28, 2011, 16:52 w00tie

So basically this will be an American remake of Shaun of the Dead?  

8. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 28, 2011, 09:10 Beamer

What ruined the last Walking Dead season was a bunch of bland, cardboard characters played by bland, wooden actors doing scenes of bland, dull drama. Not sure how you make a zombie TV show boring (having entire episodes without zombies is a start) but man, those characters sucked. The psychological drama is great if the characters are. Unfortunately nearly everyone in The Walking Dead sucked.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 28, 2011, 09:00 gilly775

bigspender wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 01:48:
Mark wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 22:11:
everyday folk (and their everyday drama)

EDIT : BOOOOOORING

edit 2 : i just find it annoying when they focus too much on the drama between the characters - especially when it seems like pointless filler a lot of the time. I mean, can't they wait until after the zombie apocalypse to have a domesitc argument?

yes you need characters that have emotions and different agenda's that you can understand and even relate to, but people watch a zombie show for the zombie factor and that should always come first

Except, that in itself won't sell. How many movies alone have focused on just zombies minus human emotions? More than the latter. That's the problem with these movies and books. I've been writing a book myself on this trying to find an even balance of gore and death coupled with what it would be like if you were in those person's shoes. Look at Stephen King's book Cell. Brilliant storytelling of a different type of zombie attack but also focusing on the psychological aspect of living in that type of world. I don't know about you, but actually surviving in a anarchist world of zombies trying to emotionally stay in check is far more terrifying that having to beat down zombies day in and out.

6. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 28, 2011, 08:14 Trainwreck

The whole zombie phenomenon really overstayed its welcome about five years ago. It's so mundane now, and it never really was compelling from an intellectual standpoint.  

5. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 28, 2011, 05:09 pnag

bigspender wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 01:48:

yes you need characters that have emotions and different agenda's that you can understand and even relate to, but people watch a zombie show for the zombie factor and that should always come first

Yeah, cause the fact that they're surrounded by zombies in a zombie filled world just isn't enough. In fact, why not just have a story about zombies, shambling around, from their point of view??? Oh, wait, "Land of the Dead" tried to do that and it was SHIT.

You need the drama to connect with the characters. And life does go on, as do domestics.

4. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 28, 2011, 01:48 bigspender

Mark wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 22:11:
everyday folk (and their everyday drama)

EDIT : BOOOOOORING

edit 2 : i just find it annoying when they focus too much on the drama between the characters - especially when it seems like pointless filler a lot of the time. I mean, can't they wait until after the zombie apocalypse to have a domesitc argument?

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2011, 01:55.

3. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 27, 2011, 22:11 Mark

Whoah dude... one of the best things about the last series of The Walking Dead was the idea of putting everyday folk (and their everyday drama) up against a sudden zombie outbreak. That's what made the pilot episode (with the father & son trying to deal with with their mother who'd turned zombie) so fascinating and engaging. If you're after some standard zombie vs human action, there's numerous straight to DVD flicks around instead.

As for a Dead Island film... I remember reading an article the other week where the author was disappointed at how the game didn't have any of the emotion the trailer seemed to promise. Indeed it's true, and actually, maybe a film is the best way to do it.

2. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 27, 2011, 22:00 entr0py

If they hire Axis Animation to make the film it would be a must-see. Short of that, there's nothing interesting about the Dead Island setting.  

1. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 27, 2011, 21:01 bigspender

oh ffs, screw human emotions and family ties - save that crap for soap opera's - its what ruined the Walking Dead show....

I WANT TO SEE ZOMBIES AND A FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL - not a bunch of people crying and arguing about "emotions".

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo