Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

So many techie bits today and too many game stories make for quite an evening news flood. Days like this make me consider the pros and cons of giving up on the bulleted lists of tech stories to concentrate on getting the game stories posted as they come up, rather than in a big batch like this, but it's hard to make such a fundamental change in approach. I'm very concerned with what you all would think about this, so feel free to share your thoughts if you have an opinion.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Into the Black Sep 30, 2011, 07:13 jdreyer

Totally agree with Beamer on this.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Into the Black Sep 30, 2011, 00:51 Ant

crypto wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:47:
since you ask...

I want more of everything.

I want double editions on the weekends.

I want morning editions at 7am on the weekends.

I want the D3 beta.

I want 100 skulltulas.
And I want to get paid for reading BN.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

20. Re: Into the Black Sep 30, 2011, 00:47 crypto

since you ask...

I want more of everything.

I want double editions on the weekends.

I want morning editions at 7am on the weekends.

I want the D3 beta.

I want 100 skulltulas.

19. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2011, 10:50 Beamer

Jim wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 08:47:
I tend to skim the gaming headlines, and am more likely to read the tech news stories.

Thanks for your continued efforts keeping this site up, Blue!

Yup. Inevitably I'll pick up most of the gaming news elsewhere, if I really care, but the tech/other stuff? I don't have time to go to tons of different sites (although you wouldn't know it for how often I post here), so it's extremely nice to be able to count on Blue's judgment in aggregating interesting links rather than having to go to Ars or whatever a few times a day.

I tend to hit Engadget, thisismynext, and Blues regularly, with a few non-tech/gaming sites mixed in. Blues gives me far more variety than those sites, but thisismynext gives me more editorial and context.

I really, really appreciate Blues for the variety and for the judgment in what stories to cover. But I understand it may not be the best or flashiest for traffic. I think we're kind of an old-person's site, with our roots in the 1990s worn happily on our sleeves. It fits us, but it may not be the best for revenue, if that's a consideration. If the goal is the "best" site, not the "busiest" site I'm very happy with it as-is.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2011, 10:30 Ant

Jim wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 08:47:
I tend to skim the gaming headlines, and am more likely to read the tech news stories.

Ditto. I don't game much these days.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

17. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2011, 08:47 Jim

Jim

16. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2011, 02:58 everyone

I liked the scheduled batch approach because it allows the front page to stay the same for a while. This way I can check the site at a variety of times and reliably see the same content (more or less).

What I WOULD like is a better segmentation of the content that groups it by update. A thin line separating morning and evening updates would be nice.

On the content side: I generally skip the hardware reviews, and I really appreciate the security and metaverse sections. I generally ignore all the content relating to big name games (mass effect, call of duty, WoW, modern games etc) for some reason. Instead, I like hearing about new games and lesser known projects.

15. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2011, 02:14 Hyatus

I'm fine with the way it is. We fear change. However, you can always go back and change it if it sucks.  

14. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2011, 01:01 Hoop

When I vist here a fiesta breaks out in my hippocampus.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 23:31 jdreyer

I agree mostly with Cutter, although I do rely somewhat on Blues for tech news. I visit Ars and Anandtech, but there's lots of cool tech stuff that Blues covers that isn't on those sites, and I don't have time to visit everywhere. But if it's between games and tech, I guess games?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 23:11 Pete

Seems fine the way it is now.  
Doin' it Big

11. if it aint broke... Sep 27, 2011, 23:02 zirik

i like the current format. its easy to browse the different news sections. no need to change it.  

10. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 22:43 slipmat

I like it the way it is.  

9. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 22:21 NotOneOfUs

Been fine the way it is.  

8. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 22:06 Learning

I think its just fine the way it is.You do a great job,I check it a number of times a day.Great job Blue.  

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

7. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 21:55 Neutronbeam

I like it just as it is. IF its a choice between more gaming content sooner or a mix of content later, then I vote for the mix. I don't go to bed unless I read the evening update first; it's an essential part of my evening activities and I'm happy to wait for it.  

6. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 21:20 Cutter

I think it's safe to say the gaming news is the priority for most everyone. I've always seen Blues as a PC gaming news site first everything else second. An early Friday round-up of weekend sales would be nice for those looking to buy something to play over the weekend like they do on Shack sometimes.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

5. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 21:19 Quboid

I tend to skim over some of the bullet lists, the console news and the security section. I don't have a console and although I know the security still is important, much of it isn't relevant.

I'm happy with the way it is, the few parts that don't really interest me probably interest plenty of others.

- Quboid

4. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 21:16 Sepharo

You're considering not doing the bulleted non-game stories so that you will be able to post game news quicker? I think I would miss some sections (metaverse, etc, legal) but not others (hardware, tech bits).

Would being more selective (posting less) about the bulleted stories save time or would the selection process itself end up taking more time?

I've never felt that a news story took too long to appear but I also don't read other sites unless I've been linked to them through here.

3. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2011, 21:03 Efflixi

Keep everything the same as far as I'm concerned. I've been coming here since it was Blue's Quake Rag and I really enjoy the classic style of the website you have going on.

Side note, you are the only website that I white listed in ad-block.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo