Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes

An interview on Rock, Paper, Shotgun talks with Adam Badowski of CD Projekt RED about the version 2.0 update for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings that will be released on Thursday. He also says that if they choose to release DLC for the game, it will be free for the Windows PC edition. "All DLC for the PC version is and will remain FREE. That’s not likely to be the story for the Xbox version, because of certain Microsoft policies that need to be followed," he explains. "But on PC, once you buy our game, you don’t need to worry about any additional costs – we will provide all updates, including those featuring new content, for free. I think it’s reasonable than when you buy our product, you can expect us to service it for you quite a long time after release, though less intensively as time goes by. Any payable DLC that appears is likely to be a more classic expansion pack along the lines of, say, Baldur’s Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast. But this is a purely theoretical discussion at this point, as we have yet to confirm or even plan any official expansion packs." Also, this recent trailer discusses the improvements in version 2.0, and GOG.com offers these patch notes:

1. Completely new, extensive Tutorial System
The new tutorial helps players fully enjoy the game from the very beginning and systematically explains the depth of The Witcher 2’s combat and gameplay mechanics. It allows gamers to be gradually and smoothly immersed in the game world and Geralt’s adventures.

2. Special Dark difficulty setting
A new, intensely challenging difficulty setting that provides the ultimate challenge for players. On the Dark setting, The Witcher 2 is nearly as difficult as Insane, but allowing players to save the game. It also provides a completely new set of dark-themed gear with very high stats such as:

• 18 new equippable items including
  • 3 new sets of dark armor (light, medium, and heavy)
  • 3 new sets of dark swords (3 silver, 3 steel)
  • Other Dark themes/elements in the game

3. Completely new, arcade-style, Arena Mode
Infinitely replayable and progressively more challenging, Arena lets you hone your combat style and techniques against all the different monster types from the game. Dispatch wave upon wave of progressively more difficult enemies, earning awards that you can use to upgrade abilities, weapons and armor, and to test alchemy. Hirelings can also assist you in battle for a price. Combat waves will continue infinitely until your character is defeated, when you’ll see a statistical summary of results. Players can share their results with their friends by uploading this summary to the forums or to Facebook. Arena Mode includes:

• New location, with a dynamic, responsive audience reacting to the events
  • A new monster type, Werewolf
  • Waves of different opponents, looped with increasing levels of difficulty
  • 3 different prizes to choose from in each wave
  • 3 new characters (mage, knight, and dwarven fighter) that can serve as allies during clashes
  • A shopkeeper offering gear and enhancements
  • 3 new GUI panels designed specifically for the mode
  • New dialogue
  • New background music
  • New Witcher Forum and Facebook integration

4. Technical Bliss
Version 2.0 includes all previous and new technical and gameplay enhancements such as:

• 40+ new technical and gameplay enhancements
  • 100+ previous technical and gameplay fixes
  • All 9 previous DLC packs
  • Troll Trouble
  • Roche Commando Jacket
  • Ultimate Alchemy Suit
  • Ultimate Magical Suit
  • Ultimate Swordsman Suit
  • Finisher Pack
  • Mysterious Merchant
  • Barbers and Coiffeuses
  • A Sackfull of Fluff

The Witcher 2, in its most definitive version 2.0, will be available on the 29th of the September through automatic update for free, for all existing and new users (all new installations will update to version 2.0 automatically during game installation process).

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Oct 1, 2011, 06:33 Eldaron Imotholin

Is that since the update? I thought I noticed something off, but nothing to be all dramatic about.  

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 30, 2011, 15:36 avianflu

the only thing I dont like are the crappy shadows -- doesnt matter what setting you use you get a crosshatch pixilicious shadow. In forest areas with tree shadows on everything, it is a hot mess. Lots of forum complaints but nothing can be done.  

29. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 28, 2011, 11:54 Eldaron Imotholin

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 17:35:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 15:46:
Maybe you don't but many of us do. The only way I'll forgo a demo and buy this game is if it's on sale for $5.
Good for you. Meanwhile, I'll support the developers and get to enjoy the game when it is actually relevant. I'll keep supporting the industry while you look to undermine it.

This x20.000!!! I know I sound like a geek when I say something like that but I got exited about how you almost literally said exactly what I wanted to say to that ridiculous comment.

Cutter, with that attitude you might aswell pirate the game. Seriously... just go ahead. You're making fun of yourself by not doing so. I mean, you're neither a pirate nor a supporter of the industry. It's... yeah, ridiculous and pathetic.

As for everyone moaning about wanting a demo... I've no freaking idea what makes you guys differ from people who don't necesseraly need a demo. The thousand gameplay videos on youtube give EVERY SINGLE PERSON who isn't retarded (my sympathy for anyone here who is, and sorry too) the right impression on what this game feels and plays like.

Seriously... worse that pirates, these guys...

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

28. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 28, 2011, 11:13 descender

Fast travel systems are for bad RPG's.  

27. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 22:42 Prez

I am playing the Witcher Enhanced for the first time (played it in the pre-enhancement days) and it is FANTASTIC. I'm torn between taking it slowly, savoring every moment and hurrying through it so I can get to the Witcher 2.

wow, you must have the biggest e-boner ever right now.

LOL!

PHJF wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 18:20:
You kiss your mother with that mouth?

LOL! Again!

Fletch wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 20:45:
Uh-oh. I hope Bethesda doesn't notice these guys are using the word "Arena".

Triple LOL!!

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2011, 22:47.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 20:57 Krovven

Haven't people learned yet? Cutter doesn't like anything.

25. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 20:45 Fletch

Uh-oh. I hope Bethesda doesn't notice these guys are using the word "Arena".

24. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 18:31 panbient

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 18:06:
Uh, hey jackass I bought their first game and like many others I didn't really care for it. And we're not pirating it, are we, dickhole? So if they want us to buy their fucking game it's not a huge request to ask for a demo, is it, fucktard? So how the fuck are we underminding anything, assbag?

wow, you must have the biggest e-boner ever right now.

23. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 18:20 space captain

UH!  
Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 18:20 PHJF

You kiss your mother with that mouth?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. removed Sep 27, 2011, 18:06 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 28, 2011, 07:47.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 17:35 theyarecomingforyou

Maybe you don't but many of us do. The only way I'll forgo a demo and buy this game is if it's on sale for $5.
Good for you. Meanwhile, I'll support the developers and get to enjoy the game when it is actually relevant. I'll keep supporting the industry while you look to undermine it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

19. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 17:14 panbient

This attitude right here - "once you buy our game, you don’t need to worry about any additional costs – we will provide all updates, including those featuring new content, for free." - is what is sorely lacking from the rest of the AAA video game industry.  

18. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 17:06 LittleMe

What about youtube gameplay vids? Do an advanced search and sort by date and you'll get genuine gameplay and not the 500k hit promo trailers.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

17. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 17:00 Reikon

Shineyguy wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 15:07:
You don't need a demo; this game speaks well enough in it's merits and reviews.

As long as you like the genre (action RPG) then you should like The Witcher and The Witcher 2.

I like action RPGs and I couldn't stand The Witcher. There are too many design issues I couldn't stand, like the ridiculous amount of going back and forth between only a few locations, bestiary requirements, poor alchemy GUI, lack of a useful fast travel system, boring combat, and probably other stuff I forgot about.

16. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 16:36 descender

Yeah, the original unbalanced combat and lurching difficulty curve were sooo much better.  

15. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 15:46 Cutter

Shineyguy wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 15:07:
Bumpy wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 13:05:
A+ on PC support for sure.

C on the game due to its console biased design.

And still no demo??

As long as you like the genre (action RPG) then you should like The Witcher and The Witcher 2.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

14. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 15:07 Shineyguy

Bumpy wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 13:05:
A+ on PC support for sure.

C on the game due to its console biased design.

And still no demo??

13. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 14:54 StingingVelvet

Some significant changes to combat going on there. Glad I will always have the launch version on-hand with my GOG backup.  

12. Re: The Witcher 2 PC DLC Would Be Free, Version 2.0 Patch Notes Sep 27, 2011, 14:52 Frijoles

This will probably get me to play again sometime early next year. However, I'd rather see either some DLC or an expansion for after the main part of the game. The only reason I didn't play a lot of that DLC was that it was out after I finished the game or had passed whatever act it was in.

Dark mode looks interesting, but not enough to make me replay quite so soon.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo