Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis

A post on PC Games Hardware takes a look at the graphics in the Battlefield 3 beta, offering a bunch of screenshots to show off visual ups and downs of the new installment in the military shooter sequel. They offer high praise for the game's appearance, and also note their quibbles, saying that if these few things are fixed, the game will take the crown for best graphics from their pick for the previous winner, Crysis and Crysis 2. They have another article with more on this which includes 75 maxed-out screenshots. There's also a beta performance preview on VR-Zone.com with their own set of high-resolution screenshots and a video clip showing off the game's ultra settings. They also offer their Guide To Building A Gaming Rig For Battlefield 3 and answer the burning question of Can an Intel dual core laptop with AMD discrete GPU run BF3?

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 29, 2011, 10:07 Ant

Beamer wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 09:59:
Ant wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 09:57:
Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:32:
I did not preorder and got into the beta today.
Doubtful that I'll have time. Never liked any of the BF games, and quite honestly what little time I have is being spent in Gears 3's horde mode, though it's near impossible to get on a team of competent people...
Give me your beta then. J/K!

It's Xbox only!
Oh nevermind then! Give it to someone then! My Xbox 360 friend might want it.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 29, 2011, 09:59 Beamer

Ant wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 09:57:
Doubtful that I'll have time. Never liked any of the BF games, and quite honestly what little time I have is being spent in Gears 3's horde mode, though it's near impossible to get on a team of competent people...

It's Xbox only!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 29, 2011, 09:57 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 21:28 Agent.X7

Teddy wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 03:07:
Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 02:12:
Teddy wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 00:46:
Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 00:38:
Control mapping wasn't working in Alpha either. You know what that means? Yeah, control mapping is going to be fucked when they release. Add that into the queue where you wait to join the login server to wait to join the game, and I just cancelled my pre-order.

PC is the SKU! PC is the lead SKU! Yeah. Bull. Shit.

The queue worked just fine in the alpha. It didn't respond well with the number of people trying to use it in the beta. That's why they took it offline. There's a note about it in battlelog. Don't know why they left the window for it popping up, but the functionality is turned off at present.

*shrug* If you're cancelling a pre-order because of bugs in a beta, then you're an idiot, frankly. Your money though, go for it.

Thank you for insulting me, Teddy, you wonderful example of a human being. I'm cancelling because of bugs that have been here since the alpha. That are still here. That will be here in release. I'm not paying for another shooter that they will take their sweet-ass time fixing when this shit should already be working. If they took the queue offline, it's funny that it keeps trying to make me wait in it, over and over and over. Not testing keybinds in a beta is begging for huge issues with them on release.

You fanboys can call "it's a beta! it's a beta!" all you like, but we all know almost all shit from betas makes it live in this day and age.

Again, your money, your choice. That doesn't mean I can't think you're an idiot for making that decision and what paltry justification you try to give for it. And yes, they did take the queue offline. Read the freaking news post on battlelog about it. But then, that just lends more weight to my judgement of you doesn't it? And yes, thank you, I am a wonderful example of a human being. One that realizes that sometimes, insults are earned and justified, but then some would rather take the cowardly passive aggressive route. I think even less of those people than I do of idiots in general.

Don't pay, begone and have a nice day.

The really funny thing is, you probably think that you are witty and smart.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 21:17 Krovven

Teddy wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 02:04:
Not sure what you mean by the squad leader's name in the squad menu. I have "Leave squad" And "Find Squad".

I took a closer look, I thought the names listed on the Deploy screen were Squads to jump between, but they are the your current squadmates to spawn on top of.

So yes, the only thing is the "Leave squad" And "Find Squad".

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 06:13 SpectralMeat

I did not have time to download and try the beta last night but I did see the Total Biscuit youtube video of it, and his first impression was this beta is a lot like Medal Of Honor. That was an instant turn off for me. I'll try the beta later this week, but the website server browser, gotta be in the MP game in order to change settings, and the feels like MoH are all very negative points in my eyes.

He also mentioned that one of the test servers were running Caspian Boarder which will probably be opened up to the public later. We'll see.

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 03:07 Teddy

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 02:12:
Control mapping wasn't working in Alpha either. You know what that means? Yeah, control mapping is going to be fucked when they release. Add that into the queue where you wait to join the login server to wait to join the game, and I just cancelled my pre-order.

The queue worked just fine in the alpha. It didn't respond well with the number of people trying to use it in the beta. That's why they took it offline. There's a note about it in battlelog. Don't know why they left the window for it popping up, but the functionality is turned off at present.

*shrug* If you're cancelling a pre-order because of bugs in a beta, then you're an idiot, frankly. Your money though, go for it.

Thank you for insulting me, Teddy, you wonderful example of a human being. I'm cancelling because of bugs that have been here since the alpha. That are still here. That will be here in release. I'm not paying for another shooter that they will take their sweet-ass time fixing when this shit should already be working. If they took the queue offline, it's funny that it keeps trying to make me wait in it, over and over and over. Not testing keybinds in a beta is begging for huge issues with them on release.

You fanboys can call "it's a beta! it's a beta!" all you like, but we all know almost all shit from betas makes it live in this day and age.

Again, your money, your choice. That doesn't mean I can't think you're an idiot for making that decision and what paltry justification you try to give for it. And yes, they did take the queue offline. Read the freaking news post on battlelog about it. But then, that just lends more weight to my judgement of you doesn't it? And yes, thank you, I am a wonderful example of a human being. One that realizes that sometimes, insults are earned and justified, but then some would rather take the cowardly passive aggressive route. I think even less of those people than I do of idiots in general.

Don't pay, begone and have a nice day.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 02:12 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 02:04 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 01:26:
Teddy you can change the Squad you are in by simply clicking on the squad leaders name on the Squad menu.

I haven't used it, but my understanding is you can even form a Squad in Battlelog before joining a game.

You can definitely create one in battlelog. The incident where it put me and my friends in a squad together automatically was purely coincidental. Has not happened again. Not sure what you mean by the squad leader's name in the squad menu. I have "Leave squad" And "Find Squad". Find squad just seems to automatically dump me somewhere, and I see no list of SL names or anything.

Maybe I'm just reading the screen wrong. I'll check into it more a little later. Just using the battlelog function at the moment.

Edit: Yay, join as a party doesn't work for me from battlelog and no, I can't select squad leaders in game to choose a squad. Don't know where you're seeing that interface. I don't have it.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2011, 03:08.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 01:26 Krovven

Teddy you can change the Squad you are in by simply clicking on the squad leaders name on the Squad menu.

I haven't used it, but my understanding is you can even form a Squad in Battlelog before joining a game.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 00:46 Teddy

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 00:38 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 00:25 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 23:58:
Keybinding menu is a freaking mess. Can't rebind the mouse buttons at all, lose the mouse cursor half the time and have to back out, or use the keyboard. Joystick rebinds are just hosed, such as using gamepad buttons R Button and L Button when rebinding the throttle on my Force 3d Pro. Clicking Reset Bindings resets everything (ie: Video settings) in the menu's back to default.

Forced myself to use default controls for 30min...the gameplay is awesome. Game looks and runs fantastic on my aging system (basically met Beta minimum requirements) and it defaulted to just about everything maxed at 1920x1080, so that's impressive.

Now, they have until beta ends to fix the button and joystick mapping.

I was under the impression that control mapping wasn't even functional in the beta. I have to admit I haven't bothered to try.

The squad system I have issues with, since it's not very useful in game. From experience so far with friends, it does seem to try and group you together with people in your friends list at the start of a new round. I joined a server with a couple of friends, it auto-placed me in a random squad, played out the round. Next round, me and my two friends were in the same squad. Could have been a coincidence, but with three of us getting put together in a single 4 man squad, that'd be a hell of a coincidence.

That said, if you can get together with friends ahead of time, form a party and join a server that way, it puts you into a squad with them and you can lock the squad to stop random people from joining. That much is a relief.

The game is fun as hell, though while I can't say I've had any issue with it, one of my friends railed about how the guns felt bad and hit detection was awful, etc. I didn't have any issues with it myself. Could be he's used to other games and hasn't gotten used to the aiming/RoF/recoil in this game yet. Could be bug related. Could be he's just terrible at aiming, and is blaming the game for it.

I'm still not 100% convinced that all the graphical goodies are in the beta, despite having the options there. I'm on a brand new system, much more powerful than what I ran the alpha on, with much higher settings and it doesn't look much different to me.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 23:58 Krovven

Keybinding menu is a freaking mess. Can't rebind the mouse buttons at all, lose the mouse cursor half the time and have to back out, or use the keyboard. Joystick rebinds are just hosed, such as using gamepad buttons R Button and L Button when rebinding the throttle on my Force 3d Pro. Clicking Reset Bindings resets everything (ie: Video settings) in the menu's back to default.

Forced myself to use default controls for 30min...the gameplay is awesome. Game looks and runs fantastic on my aging system (basically met Beta minimum requirements) and it defaulted to just about everything maxed at 1920x1080, so that's impressive.

Now, they have until beta ends to fix the button and joystick mapping.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 22:27 Teddy

entr0py wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 22:18:
They don't have enough servers, and quickmatch doesn't work well, but if you know how to work the server browser it doesn't take too long to get in. I've joined maybe 10 servers today, and it's never taken more than 3 minutes of trying.

From battlelog point at multiplayer, then click filter. Set the region filter, then check 1-5 free slots, and check Operation Metro and view servers. Now you can sort by ping or player count. Try servers until you're in.

I'm seeing plenty of empty servers and servers with 5+ spots available.

The quickmatch doesn't just not work well, it's been taken offline, and so has the queue joining. So if you're sitting in a queue waiting to get in, stop, find a different server or wait for an empty spot and try to join then.

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 22:18 entr0py

They don't have enough servers, and quickmatch doesn't work well, but if you know how to work the server browser it doesn't take too long to get in. I've joined maybe 10 servers today, and it's never taken more than 3 minutes of trying.

From battlelog point at multiplayer, then click filter. Set the region filter, then check 1-5 free slots, and check Operation Metro and view servers. Now you can sort by ping or player count. Try servers until you're in.

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 19:41 Shataan

Running the beta nicely. And love it so far accept for the freaking WASD POS controls. I despise WASD. Always have..... always will. Can`t wait for the Final release..... so I can remap asap.  

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 18:38 Krovven

http://kotaku.com/5844124/battlefield-3s-pc-and-ahem-ps3-versions-compared

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 18:10 eunichron

Actually got into a server not long after finishing the download. Graphics are amazing, even if they're not maxed out (I'm on an HD 5870). The sound is underwhelming, which is surprising since BC2's sound was so amazing (I have it set on War Tapes, same as BC2).

Prone and sniper seems to be the name of the game. Hopefully they won't be as dominant on other maps/game modes. Would have been nice to see a Conquest map at least.

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 13:44 Beamer

Creston wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 13:32:
Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 13:19:

Apparently it's a reward for buying MoH for the Xbox.

I can think of a few things that would be a better "reward" for buying that... On the Xbox, no less...

Creston

It was a console game, why would I buy it on PC?
"Oh, but you have to support the platform." Screw that, some games I want to be close to the screen, some games I want to be slouched on a couch.
"Oh, but you can hook your PC up to the HDTV" Not if one is in my main room and one is in my office.

Yeah, game wasn't very good, but for $9.99 I got my money's worth.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo