Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

How can this be? Today is Wilford Brimley's birthday, and the actor turns 77. If you asked me to guess, I would have said he was almost that old in The Thing, which came out in 1982.

Elderly Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Apocalypse Basketball.
Thelemite.
Science: British coffee-powered car breaks world record. Thanks Slashdot.
Top 5 NASA Space Missions Of All Time.
It’s a Building!
I’m a Big Batman Fan.
Media: Battlefield 3 PC vs. PS3 Comparison of the Day.
NASA Satellite Falls On Car.
Post-it Tetris. Thanks Kotaku.
The Funnies: Comics Commenting on Comics of the Day.
Follow-up: Expert Suggestion- CERN’s “Einstein was Wrong” Neutrino Experiment Results. Thanks dakslf.
SpaceX's Grasshopper to Be Latest Rocket to Fly in the Skies of Texas. Thanks Slashdot.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2011, 20:00 Sepharo

I'm glad you found and fixed it, means I'm not just going crazy Keep up the great job you do here keeping this place humming.

Sorry about that last bit I just was a bit taken aback by the admonishment. Like I said I don't expect you to know everything but a single click (on my name) would've shown the URL in question and I did mention that it was different between original post and edit.

I spent my entire day today sending DLLs to a co-worker on site in Washington to fix a crashing Police server may as well had a blindfold on and the bug ended up being a missing .ToUpper() for a dictionary key (not my code or even product). And I'm still on call for the rest of the weekend

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2011, 20:06.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2011, 08:19  Frans 

Sepharo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 19:15:
In this post I used the url tags on "available here" and posted just fine. I then needed to edit my post. Without modifying the url tags or the url itself I then submitted my edit, but this time the url was deemed too long. I rectified the situation by putting a space between the opening url tag and the 'a' in "available here" and then I was able to submit. The odd part of course was that the error only showed up upon trying to edit my post.
Thanks for elaborating, there still was an inconsistency between the post and edit code. Hopefully solved now.

Sepharo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 19:15:
edit:
Sorry I'm having a hard time letting this go...
so please don't expect me to know everything else that goes on in the forums.
Would it not occur to you to check my post history if I thanked you for the fix and then reported "But I just experienced [...]" ? Surely it must have happened inbetween your fix and recently enough to use the word "just"
You have no idea how much I have on my plate, so I'll forgive you, but... no, even if it occurred to me it's not specific enough.

There are reasons why I'm no longer proofreading the site, nor developing new/updated features, or am barely skimming just the OotB/ItB threads. So unless someone provides a specific and detailed report about some problem here, I have no trouble "letting it go".

-- Frans

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 19:15 Sepharo

Unable to reproduce it currently but I described what happened here. And I wasn't trying to imply you should know everything or something. I'm feeling a bit of role reversal now because normally it's me pulling: http://i.imgur.com/iFZQ4.jpg

In this post I used the url tags on "available here" and posted just fine. I then needed to edit my post. Without modifying the url tags or the url itself I then submitted my edit, but this time the url was deemed too long. I rectified the situation by putting a space between the opening url tag and the 'a' in "available here" and then I was able to submit. The odd part of course was that the error only showed up upon trying to edit my post.

edit:
Sorry I'm having a hard time letting this go...
so please don't expect me to know everything else that goes on in the forums.
Would it not occur to you to check my post history if I thanked you for the fix and then reported "But I just experienced [...]" ? Surely it must have happened inbetween your fix and recently enough to use the word "just"

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2011, 19:24.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 17:55  Xymph 

Sepharo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 02:04:
It's the post I made right before reporting it here
Well, I skim (not even read) only the OotB and ItB comments nowadays, and those often not even daily, so please don't expect me to know everything else that goes on in the forums.

Sepharo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 02:04:
Argh, just trying to report it to you here it's being a pain in the ass since I posted the wrong link and needed to edit... Haha.

edit2 test... trying to recreate it now isn't working
Uhh, you lost me... so is there still a reproducible problem with the url tag or not? Be specific, very specific.

-- Frans

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 02:04 Sepharo

Xymph wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 01:59:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 19:26:
But I just experienced some weirdness where my URL wasn't too long on the original post but when I went back to edit to fix a few things (without touching the URL or tags) and then it was suddenly deemed too long.
Well, maybe I introduced a new problem, like I said it's really tricky. But I'm not going to find out if you don't include your link (and the error message).

Ahh I figured it was something to do specifically with the edit seeing as how it worked and then didn't minutes later during an edit.

It's the post I made right before reporting it here

I wrote it like this available here And it worked fine... but then when I came back to edit the post it complained and I added a space inbetween the first url tag and "available" so that it would post again.

Argh, just trying to report it to you here it's being a pain in the ass since I posted the wrong link and needed to edit... Haha.

edit2 test... trying to recreate it now isn't working

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 01:59  Xymph 

Sepharo wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 19:26:
But I just experienced some weirdness where my URL wasn't too long on the original post but when I went back to edit to fix a few things (without touching the URL or tags) and then it was suddenly deemed too long.
Well, maybe I introduced a new problem, like I said it's really tricky. But I'm not going to find out if you don't include your link (and the error message).

-- Frans

30. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 19:26 Sepharo

Xymph wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 17:20:
Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 10:45:
I tried to URL tag that but it gave errors. The tag may be broken?
That was a bug which popped up only with a certain range in URL lengths in combination with the length of the first word inside the tagged URL. Yeah, it's complicated but it's fixed now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks for the fix Xymph.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 17:38 Beamer

Xymph wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 17:20:
That was a bug which popped up only with a certain range in URL lengths in combination with the length of the first word inside the tagged URL. Yeah, it's complicated but it's fixed now. Thanks for the heads-up.

Awesome! Thanks.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 17:20  Xymph 

-- Frans

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 08:59 InBlack

The Thing had another thing going for it that I doubt this "prequel" can match.

Brutal atmosphere by way of the music courtesy of the composer: Ennio Morricone (Yes THE Ennio Morricone of Sergio Leone fame, not many people know that)

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 00:47 Sepharo

Alan Dean Foster... where do I know that name from...

Oh he did the novelization of "The Dig" the LucasArts + Spielberg Adventure game. I somehow read it as a kid before finding out it was an adventure game and loved it. After I found out about the game it was all very clear that of course I would love a story intended to be for an Adventure game.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 22:51 cappy

Alan Dean Foster's novelization of "The Thing" is still a really good read:

"The worst desert on earth never gets hot. It boasts no towering sand dunes like the Sahara, no miles and miles of barren gravel as does the Gobi. The winds that torment this empty land make those that sweep over the Rub al Khali seem like spring breezes.

A mountain named Erebus stands cloaked in permanent ice, but burns with the fires of hell. Elsewhere the land itself lies crushed beneath the solid ice up to three miles thick. In this frozen waste, the gutted skeleton of a continent unlike any other, only one creature stands a chance of surviving through the winters. His name is Man, and like the diving spider he's forced to carry his sustenance on his back.

Sometimes Man inports other things to Antarctica along with his heat and food and shelter that would not have an immediate impact on an impartial observer. Some are benign, such as the desire to study and learn, which drives him down to this empty wasteland in the first place. Others can be more personal and dangerous. Paranoia, fear of open places, extreme loneliness; all can hitch free and unwelcome rides in the minds of the most stable of scientists and technicians."

He wrote it from the original screenplay, so it includes a few scenes that were eerie, but were never filmed or were shortened due to budget and time constraints.

Highly recommended - used copies are still pretty readily available although their prices seem to have really gone up.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 16:22 sir

I'm glad Carpenter had the good sense not to mess with his original vision. Can you imagine Blair Thing screaming "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" as it gets a mouthful of dynamite?  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 15:44 Cutter

I want to try DOTA2 now but it doesn't seem one can sign up for the beta anymore.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 15:43 Beamer

Ratty wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 14:10:
Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:04:
Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 10:50:
I always use one of the URL shortening services.

I'll rarely click on those. From you, sure, but generally on a messageboard I avoid them. If they took me to a page that showed me the URL I was being redirected to I'd be fine, but when it's just a redirect it's more a tool for spammers and malware distributors than anything else.
I just got back from a week of security training for application developers. 9-6 all week PLUS Saturday and Sunday.

All I can say is be afraid. Be very afraid ...

Yup, those shortened links are the devil. It baffles me that people prefer them to something that lets you see the direct link. Guess we have twitter to blame for popularizing them.

I'm not going to some domain blind.

-------------

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 14:10 Ratty

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:04:
Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 10:50:
I always use one of the URL shortening services.

I'll rarely click on those. From you, sure, but generally on a messageboard I avoid them. If they took me to a page that showed me the URL I was being redirected to I'd be fine, but when it's just a redirect it's more a tool for spammers and malware distributors than anything else.
I just got back from a week of security training for application developers. 9-6 all week PLUS Saturday and Sunday.

All I can say is be afraid. Be very afraid ...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 13:46 Cutter

A remake now and then and of certain material is warranted. Remaking everything just to cash in on a name is utter bullshit. I'm not even saying this will be bad, and I want to see it anyway, just that there are so many new stories Hollywood is ignoring its ridicurous. And they really should have titled it, 'Ain't Nothin' But A Thang'.

Oh yeah, and speaking of flicks. Caught Shaolin the other night. Brilliant film. A must watch. Also looking forward to seeing 1911, also with Jackie Chan. Looks really good!

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2011, 13:52.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 12:43 space captain

its from diabeetus  
Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 12:42 Beamer

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:21:
Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:05:
It's not a remake, it's a prequel.
Although The Thing was a remake, making your point either ironic or hysterical.

Technically it's a prequel but if you compare some of the shots and video we've seen so far they are recreating many scenes from The Thing. I think Cutter's point was that they could have gone somewhere else with the story/IP and still had an interesting film.

We'll see just how close it is, but I do agree that the line between prequel and remake seems very blurred here. Unlike the first remake, which was similar in setting and concept but different in story (much like how the recent Dawn of the Dead was similar in setting and concept but different in story.) It was a reimagining more than a remake, and I think reimaginings are very valid.

The Thing is actually very ripe for reimagining. There are plenty of interesting ways to tell the story of an alien being found buried in ice in Antarctica, and it would have been great to have seen a more modern interpretation rather than a rehash of a perfect movie.

But people would complain regardless. Make the movie without buying the rights and you risk a (valid) lawsuit. Buy the rights, rewarding those first to the concept, but change it drastically and fans accuse you of spitting on the old movie. It's a no-win situation, even though so many old movies have such great settings and concepts to revisit.

-------------

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 12:21 Verno

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 12:05:
It's not a remake, it's a prequel.
Although The Thing was a remake, making your point either ironic or hysterical.

Technically it's a prequel but if you compare some of the shots and video we've seen so far they are recreating many scenes from The Thing. I think Cutter's point was that they could have gone somewhere else with the story/IP and still had an interesting film.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo