Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On PC Batman: Arkham City

Following the completion of development of the console editions of Batman: Arkham City, Eurogamer has word from Rocksteady on what to expect from the Windows PC version of the action/stealth sequel that was recently delayed until next month. "We're really aware of all the different SKUs," says game director Sefton Hill. "What's great for us is we have gamers who are real console gamers and gamers who are PC gamers. I guess, generally, I would consider myself more of a console gamer. I do play more of my games on console. But then we have people in the office who are really hardcore PC players, and they will always pull me up and say, we need to sort this out, we need to sort that out." Here's specifically what he says about the PC edition:

"We got a lot of credit on the first one, about how well it played on the PC, and how well-refined the controls were," Sefton said. "It's because part of our attitude is always to listen to those people. We want to make the best game we can for all SKUs."

"If you do have a super powerful high-end PC, you are going to see higher detail textures," Hill explained. "You are going to see a more richly realised world. But having said that, given there are so many console gamers in there, we're always fine-tuning to get the game to run super smooth on Xbox and PS3. The console versions look great as well.

"All of the source textures and assets are done at a very very high res and we make them work on all the different SKUs. People will really love the PC version when it comes out.

View
32. Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City Sep 26, 2011, 21:11 theyarecomingforyou

Mastaba wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 12:45:
I don't quite understand all the hate directed towards GFWL. I've never had to pay to use it. It's never stopped me from playing a game because of techincal issues. No one forces me to shop on the GFWL client. And it stays out of the way while playing the GFWL games, just like Steam does. I suppose its still fashionable within some niche to "hate" anything remotely associated with Microsoft, as a means to show nerd cred.
1) Corrupted save files.
2) Having to enter a serial key every time you reinstall, rather than saving it to your GFWL account.
3) Encrypted save files, which make it more difficult to backup your game.
4) Slow login / login problems, which prevent you accessing your save content.
5) Poor patch handling / update procedures.
6) Games that like DiRT3 use GFWL to input text, meaning rather than just letting you type with the keyboard it first has to open the overlay.

The only worthwhile feature is the friends / invite functionality, though it isn't worth the inconvenience it causes. I had saved games corrupt on Batman: Arkham Asylum and GTA IV, causing me to lose all my progress.

And it's worrying that the ONLY thing that Rocksteady can come up with is 'higher resolution textures', which EVERYBODY takes for granted. The PC platform supports DX11, which allows for hardware tessellation, DirectCompute for physics and a whole host of other features not available on consoles. It supports 3D. It supports displays with a higher colour gamut. And PC interfaces usually sport a more detailed interface, due to the user's proximity to the screen. And yet they can only come up with ONE point and keep repeating it? And then they talk up the console versions?

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 26, 11:36 Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City Creston
  4. Sep 26, 11:47  Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City nin
  6. Sep 26, 12:18   Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City Elessar
  9. Sep 26, 12:45    Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City Mastaba
  12. Sep 26, 12:53     Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City necrosis
  13. Sep 26, 13:01      Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City Mastaba
  15. Sep 26, 13:04       Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City necrosis
  14. Sep 26, 13:03      Re: On PC Batman: Arkham City Frijoles