Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch; Pricing Details

The official website for Star Wars: The Old Republic announces BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG will launch on December 20, 2011 in North America, and on December 22nd in Europe, noting that those who preorder the game and register on the website will be eligible for early game access. "This is an incredible moment for everyone at BioWare and our partners at LucasArts who have dedicated their lives to build this extraordinary game," says BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka. "We appreciate the patience from the millions of fans who have been waiting for the game’s release." The game comes with a 30 day subscription, and they outline the fees that are required to play after that:

• 1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (£8.99/€12.99)
  • 3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)
  • 6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

40. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 23:03 Acleacius

December 20, 2011
This has publisher desperation written all over it. Oh sure there's stupidity involved too but this is ea, so that was a given.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 21:38 Burrito of Peace

Hudson wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 18:40:
Maybe if you like PVP...

While Guild Wars supported PvP, there was never a question that it was largely devoted to PvE. I'm certain that I recall that, in the interviews given about GW2, it was stated that this would be the case with GW2 as well.

38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 21:33 entr0py

That's a relief. Usually when a big game isn't ready in time for a thanksgiving weekend release the publisher will wait until March for some idiotic reason having to do with fiscal quarters or whatnot. I'm just glad it's coming this year.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2011, 21:42.

37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 21:15 Grokk

I'm still on the bench with this one. Like some others, everytime I see new media for the game I still think it's missing a hell of a lot of polish that mmo's have nowadays.
The world looks square/straight/sharp/stagnant. This isn't helped by teh shitty quality videos they put on their site.

A while back, I was going to sign up day one, but now I'm thinking I might wait until it's been out a couple of months.

I really want it to be great, but there's no chance most of my wow friends will play it, so I might just buy it for the single player aspect, and quit after hitting level cap.

36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 21:11 Lorcin

Sorry but I have a life - no way I'd be allowed to spend Christmas on a game. Maybe in the new year  

35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 19:49 Jonny

I'm happy to see a release date, but one working day before Christmas? How is that not an utterly retarded time to release a new MMO? It doesn't exactly give them much leeway. If something unexpected crops up as often happens with MMO launches, then either their staff will have to work over Christmas or everyone will be screwed until the middle of the week after.  

34. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 19:38 Cutter

Hudson wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 18:40:
Oh Cutter how ignorant you are about the MMO world. I can tell you are a bitter anti mmo gamer with such dumb statements as "And Guild Wars 2 is pretty much going to siphon the majority of all players from every MMO out there including this one anyway"

Maybe if you like PVP yes, which is in itself a retarded way to spend time in an MMO, but otherwise Star Wars will suffer no setbacks from Guild Wars 2. If anything will be hurt here it will be Rift and that is unfortunate.

Wow, stupid and a troll. How sad your little world must be.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 19:27 Luke

ZeroCougar wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 16:43:
Rockn-Roll wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 16:33:
Let's see...first you give them like $60 for the standard edition or upto $140 for the collector's edition, then you give them at least $12.99 per month. Eventually, if you play the game for 2 years, you will have paid anywhere from $360 to $400 for one game. Is it really worth that much?

Ask that same type of question to 5+year WoW diehards, and you already know the response.

I hope for the best for this game, I really do. If they shaved a couple $'s off the sub fee they would get alot more WoWer's and others comming over, for at least for a while... till they went back to WoW or there other respective MMO.

My friend says he's having an awesome time with the game in closed beta. But I'll reserve the right to use my own judgment for myself later.

Sure he has fun in the BETA he just wait till the elite enters the game and crying out there demand for dps meter gearscore addons ans so on, then the fun will die quick.

32. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 19:20 Alamar

Let's see...first you give them like $60 for the standard edition or upto $140 for the collector's edition, then you give them at least $12.99 per month. Eventually, if you play the game for 2 years, you will have paid anywhere from $360 to $400 for one game. Is it really worth that much?

I can't be bothered to calculate how many hundreds, if not a few thousand, dollars I saved playing massives over the last ten years...

So yes, it's worth it; I like money : )

-Alamar

31. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 18:40 Angrius Maximis

Oh Cutter how ignorant you are about the MMO world. I can tell you are a bitter anti mmo gamer with such dumb statements as "And Guild Wars 2 is pretty much going to siphon the majority of all players from every MMO out there including this one anyway"

Maybe if you like PVP yes, which is in itself a retarded way to spend time in an MMO, but otherwise Star Wars will suffer no setbacks from Guild Wars 2. If anything will be hurt here it will be Rift and that is unfortunate.

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 18:37 Eldaron Imotholin

KataSteel wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 16:27:
Gonna pass on this one.

Your loss.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 18:36 creatorswhim

I feel sorry for the Bioware employees that will have to work through christmas and the new year in order to keep this thing running during its first two weeks after launch.

Bioware's first MMO: what could possibly go wrong?

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 17:56 NicklePop

... and more than enough people that like good games.

If you like KOTOR and WoW this game is your dream.

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 17:19 Alamar

Holy crapple... Dec 20/22... Not cutting it close at all : )

-Alamar

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 17:03 Cutter

Bucky wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 14:04:
I want to be excited for this, but every time I see the game in action I can't help but think 'meh'.

I think they would have been better off doing another KotOR or something similar, but that's just me. I'll wait to see what people think of ToR before I decide.

This what they've built. It's a slightly larger and overpriced KOTOR with a monthly fee. It plays just like any other MMO. Exactly. Anyone who's expecting anything new an improved is in for a major dissapointment. The only thing different is the novelty of fully voiced quest givers. And whilst the main quest for each archetype is good, everything else is standard fare - courier/kill. The upside it they allow you be a real douchebag if you want to play evil to the hilt and that actually is fun. However, after you played out the main quests for both sides there's zero reason to stick around, unless you're the typical end-game raider into grind.

If they want to continue providing content that's fully voiced that's obviously going to take a long time so I'd suspect new content will be exceedingly slow in coming. I still believe most people will play for 3-6 months to see and do everything and then be gone. Given how the costs of this game are now officially into the stratosphere I honestly have a hard time believing they'll recoup their costs much less turn a profit. And Guild Wars 2 is pretty much going to siphon the majority of all players from every MMO out there including this one anyway.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 16:43 ZeroCougar

Ask that same type of question to 5+year WoW diehards, and you already know the response.

I hope for the best for this game, I really do. If they shaved a couple $'s off the sub fee they would get alot more WoWer's and others comming over, for at least for a while... till they went back to WoW or there other respective MMO.

My friend says he's having an awesome time with the game in closed beta. But I'll reserve the right to use my own judgment for myself later.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 16:33 Rockn-Roll

Let's Rock!

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 16:29 Ant

Illumin wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 16:10:
Ant wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 15:34:
eunichron wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 15:26:
Ant wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 14:45:
I still want a free sampler (e.g., beta and trial) before paying.

I don't think they've announced anything about an open beta yet, but I'm sure it will happen. Buying the game also includes 1 month of play time.
I ain't paying for it! What if I hate it? I only buy when I know I like/love it.

A betting man would say that a month or two after launch there will be buddy keys / free 7 day trial or what have you. It makes sense to try and gain some customers from the ones that drop after the first month. So while you might not get to check it out for free right off im sure it wont be long until you can.
That's fine. At least most of the big problems will be fixed by then.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 16:27 Fion

RaZ0r! wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 16:09:
F2P in six months tops.

I think there are more than enough rabid fanbois to say otherwise.

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 24, 2011, 16:27 KataSteel

Gonna pass on this one.  

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo