Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Safety Dance

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2011, 17:37 Punisher

Nameless One wrote on Sep 25, 2011, 06:36:
And what, pray tell, does any claim about Macs and viruses have to do with a trojan?
To the extent that an OS can protect itself, Mac OS X and other *nix based systems seem to be better equiped
than Windows, especially to many peoples beloved XP.
Well for me, I am referring to the average end user/ non-techy customer.... The ones that don't know or understand the differences.... The ones that see everything more as malware and whatnot.. The average person doesn't know the difference between trojans, viruses, bots, adware, etc....
I have had plenty of these type of people come back after the fact with MAC "issues" such as compatibility with websites and the lack of software/not understanding that the windows software on the shelf won't work with the MAC OS.
As SectorEffector mentioned, and I agree with, MACs DO have the use... My problem is with the general user base that is growing because they DON'T understand computers and just hear "MACs don't crash, MACs don't get viruses, etc" These are the people that just basically hear. "MACs don't have any problems".. These are the people that I deal with as customers on a daily basis... MACs don't have all of the PC problems, but they do have their own problems...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 25, 2011, 15:22 SectorEffector

That's exactly what people are buying Macs for, you sure sussed that one out.

Before you continue masquerading as a moron...

Luckily working at a larger studio with OSX, Win, and primarily Linux I've ACTUALLY seen consistent performance differences in an environment where we need uber dependability. I've also been to other studios where they also need that same dependability because you can't tell a client we need more $ because the 500k to 1.5 mil wasn't enough for this current commercial or job because our windows box died thanks to the blue screen.

I've heard from multiple IT's who have worked at ILM, Framestore and several other larger studios adamantly defend the choices apple makes for its hardware + OSX. I do believe these ARE the people buying Mac's, contrary to your point, and they are spending boatloads on Apple hardware with Quadro's built in and are happy because they know during crunch time these machines won't fail, besides the occasional hardware faults ANY computer can have regardless of OS choice.

Anyone with the actual computer knowledge that's not an idiot who has a good slashdot sense will always defer to Linux destroys all of them because it's the best of both worlds and it's already not retard friendly unless your using a super bloated distro.

I really hope you can take note, I don't really love Apple personally I just can't sit here and listen to bullshit when I've seen the hardware perform fantastically when it was called to arms renderwise or setup wise in a high pressure studio, that I ASSURE you, would not be wasting their money on that Apple hardware if it hadn't already proved itself worthy on the previous show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

17. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2011, 06:36 Nameless One

And what, pray tell, does any claim about Macs and viruses have to do with a trojan?

Whatever OS you are using, if you put a program on it, run it and let it do what it wants
(ignorance to the risk trumps any security measures) there is very little that any system can do to protect itself.

To the extent that an OS can protect itself, Mac OS X and other *nix based systems seem to be better equiped
than Windows, especially to many peoples beloved XP.

16. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2011, 02:24 Sugarman

We really shouldn't be arguing though, as everyone knows Mac's can't get viruses. Apparently this article is a troll.  

15. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2011, 02:16 Sugarman

^^ this  

14. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2011, 00:46 Punisher

I don't have a big problem with MAC's in general, especially if you are getting one for what they were designed for... graphic design and other "creative" aspects.. (although, Windows PC's HAVE made huge strides in these areas as well).. I do think that MAC's are overpriced for basic use though and they STILL have compatibility issues with some websites which can come back and bite some people...
I DO have an issue with the Apple hype machine though... The people who say: "MACs never crash, MACs can never get viruses, MACs have superior hardware, etc...."
It's an electronic device... EVERY electronic device can have problems... I have crashed my MAC multiple times... and that was when I was only using it for Final Cut.... I have had to format and reload it multiple times since I've owned, replace hardware, and gotten the grey wheel of death... I don't hate MACs by any means, but I do think that many people who buy them are buying them for the wrong reasons...

13. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 25, 2011, 00:40 LittleMe

OS X Trojan paves way for Mac zombie army.

Yeah this Mac zombie army was assemble back in the 80's. Now they just need someone to pave the way for them since they can't even use a two button mouse.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 23:20 Dades

Macs are certainly overpriced, have you seen the profit margins Apple has on the hardware alone? They're also overhyped in the media but so are many other things these days. All of the OS X related discussion is kind of pointless since Apple is leveraging iOS to the hilt and will most likely sunset OS X as fast as it can.

I'd love to see you set up a node system in Shake or Houdini Only idiots do that.

That's exactly what people are buying Macs for, you sure sussed that one out.

11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 23:20 SectorEffector

Dades wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 23:18:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 18:19:
I absolutely love these "Macs are for Idiots" arguments. Sugarman, lets sit you in front of the mac terminal and show us what your superior intellect is capable of.

Using the terminal isn't exactly difficult, it's all syntax memorization and experience. Anyone who has used a generic Unix variant will be immediately comfortable. You would have to be a complete moron to imply that is the regular user experience on a Mac. Mac are for idiots if idiots are people who just want to accomplish simple tasks.

I'd love to see you set up a node system in Shake or Houdini Only idiots do that.

refrain from being an idiot.

10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 23:19 Quboid

Sugarman wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 21:15:
It's all a matter of perspective I suppose. Brought down by the all knowing internet tyrants again. I do agree with some of what you guys have said as in the advancements they've brought to the market, but I was simply stating that Mac's are overpriced/overhyped, how is that wrong? I'm sure you'll tell me as I've somehow hurt you deeply by either talking about your boyfriend Steve or talking trash on your large white toasters.

So you are simply stating that Macs are overpriced/overhyped? Then you question the sexuality of people who disagree with you and give a derogatory reference to their computer.

Why am I feeding the troll?

- Quboid

9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 23:18 Dades

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 18:19:
I absolutely love these "Macs are for Idiots" arguments. Sugarman, lets sit you in front of the mac terminal and show us what your superior intellect is capable of.

Using the terminal isn't exactly difficult, it's all syntax memorization and experience. Anyone who has used a generic Unix variant will be immediately comfortable. You would have to be a complete moron to imply that is the regular user experience on a Mac. Mac are for idiots if idiots are people who just want to accomplish simple tasks.

8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 22:55 SectorEffector

Sugarman wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 21:15:
It's all a matter of perspective I suppose. Brought down by the all knowing internet tyrants again. I do agree with some of what you guys have said as in the advancements they've brought to the market, but I was simply stating that Mac's are overpriced/overhyped, how is that wrong? I'm sure you'll tell me as I've somehow hurt you deeply by either talking about your boyfriend Steve or talking trash on your large white toasters.

even if that perspective is less clear? I'm definitely no mac fanboi. Regardless, your first post was vastly superior in troll-dom.

7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 21:36 eunichron

The extent of my Mac usage doesn't go beyond using the iMacs at the school library to do a quick catalog search... but I have to say, if I could get a Macbook Pro for just a couple hundred bucks more than a comparable PC laptop, I would love to have one as my general use internet/e-mail/IM machine. Yes, I know that it is the same hardware as a PC, but there are advantages to Apple's fascist, dictatorial, autocratic ways.  

6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 21:15 Sugarman

5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 20:53 Quboid

Sugarman wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 20:29:
I knew this would bring out the trolls, and indeed it did!

You think the replies are trolling and your original post isn't?

Is it opposite day?

- Quboid

4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 20:29 Sugarman

I knew this would bring out the trolls, and indeed it did!  

3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 18:19 BIGtrouble77

2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 14:44 SectorEffector

as a hardcore PC / Linux / OSX user I can officially declare you slightly stupid.

You must be the type that ignores the fact that Apple has been responsible for the last two gigantic technological trends that all their competitors ( android / pc ) have only followed. I'm sure it's no surprise to you every new phone that is the "iPhone Killer!" must be just plain coincidence.

It's okay we can go back to 2008 and ignore the iphone and you can keep buying overpriced shitty flip phones. I'm also gonna assure you with pancreatic cancer he is hardly laughing, if he even can with his gaunt appearance.

The point is anything based in Unix is so much better security wise then any awful Registry based OS.

go sell crazy someplace else.

Really...

1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 24, 2011, 14:25 Sugarman

Ha, I love how it says mac users are clueless about needing antivirus. I like how macs are such a fad, people think they are bucking the trend by purchasing a mac and everyone loves an underdog, however they are just paying more for pretty much exactly the same hardware as whats in a pc "albeit controlled by a single corporation". Steve Jobs is laughing all the way to the bank while the clueless public convinces itself mac's can't get a virus or are easier to use. However I do see the appeal from the standpoint of someone who has no clue how to shop for a pc, when they buy a mac it's the same machine everywhere you go. Preying on the stupid, shame on you corporations.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo