Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Is YouTube now on a modem connection or something? It seems like many clips I view from there lately repeatedly pause to buffer, especially in HD. I ran a Speedtest to see if it is on my end, and the results showed my stupid-fast internet connection has actually gotten even faster: My 30 Mbps connection has actually improved by 10% somewhere along the way, and is now actually pulling 32.99 Mbps downloads. I haven't had any problems streaming from other sources, but YouTube has really become painful lately. Is this just me?

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Warlocks Arena 2.
Ricochet Kills 2: Players Pack.
Links: Brass-effect 3D printed steampunk D6s.
Science: Virus kills breast cancer cells in laboratory.
One Female Guppy is Enough to Invade an Ecosystem.
Neil Armstrong says US space program 'embarrassing'. Thanks Digg.
Images: Obama Blocked Mongolian President's Face During Photo Op. Photobombed!
Media: Pretty woman in a romantic comedy? She's going to fall down.
Follow-up: After Report on Speed, a Rush of Scrutiny. Thanks j.c.f.
Falling satellite slows down, Earth strike delayed. Thanks brother19.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2011, 08:19 SpectralMeat

I am also having some issues with youtube lately. It was lightning fast a month or 2 ago, but these days it is painfully slow. I did the same as you Blue and checked out my internet speed and all that stuff, and everything checks out okay.  

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2011, 06:38 Dev

Sugarman wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 14:41:
Get the Motorola Docsis 3.0 cablemodem. Even on the midrange speed package I get 72Mbps down and 7Mbps up, way faster than what it's advertised at, only supposed to get 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. This is the one I'm using [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122009] given the speedboost from Cox Communications gives you much more bandwidth temporarily. My old Docsis 2.0 modem would top out at 18Mbps down. This is at my business, I also put one in at my home and it peaked at 95Mbps down the very first time I tried it on Speakeasy's speedtest page.
I doubt its going to stay that way for long from anyone. Probably just haven't fixed the caps on it until they finish testing and implementing nationwide.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2011, 01:48 Ant

If you sniff the connections, you can see different YouTube video servers. I think it is depending on those.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2011, 01:41 Sepharo

It's definitely been bad for me before but I haven't really had too many buffering issues in the past few years.

There are way too many variables to arrive at any sort of consensus with YouTube issues. Popular videos tend to buffer faster, different servers host different quality levels, your isp may be affecting you.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2011, 00:16 SM0k3

Youtube bandwidth has been shit for years....only certain HD videos play without buffering. Most of the time I don't even bother because they will never even start and I have a 50mbps/50mbps fiber optic connection.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 22:22 jimnms

I've been noticing problems with YouTube videos pausing even when there is more than enough buffer to keep playing. For example, I'm watching a 10 min video, and I'm about 3 minutes in. The buffer shows a little over half way, but then the buffer bar stops moving or slows down. The video pauses anyway even though I should have a a few minutes buffered before it needs to stop. It's like it stops downloading or slows down, but even though there is video buffered, it pauses anyway just because of the slow down rather than playing whats in the buffer.  

Steam Profile

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 22:00 Cutter

Asmo wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 20:44:
What's more embarrasing than the US space program Neil? Ahem, perhaps the economy? Or retired firefighters/police losing part of their pension due to towns going bankrupt? Or any one of the hundreds of problems that plague the US at the moment.

Aspirational goals are fine and well but ultimately are unsustainable if the US gov. can't get it's own backyard in order first.

That's it exactly. People are worried about just keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. Things like the space program are a luxury. And if it's really worthwhile private enterprise will take up the challenge. I respect the man but he's clearly out of touch with what's affecting most people and their priorities these days.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 20:44 Asmo

What's more embarrasing than the US space program Neil? Ahem, perhaps the economy? Or retired firefighters/police losing part of their pension due to towns going bankrupt? Or any one of the hundreds of problems that plague the US at the moment.

Aspirational goals are fine and well but ultimately are unsustainable if the US gov. can't get it's own backyard in order first.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 20:42 Sugarman

I'd call them and see if it has been rolled out. I just read through all the comments on newegg and some of the users there reported they were on Cox, that was good enough for me. The sb6121 wasn't available when I ordered mine so I have no idea on it, check some reviews on the tubes and see what they say. If they are Docsis 3.0 then then yes, it will make quite a difference in speed. Ripped from Wiki
DOCSIS 3.0 features channel bonding, which enables multiple downstream and upstream channels to be used together at the same time by a single subscriber

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 19:02 Mr. Tact

Sugarman wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 14:41:
Get the Motorola Docsis 3.0 cablemodem.

Ok, I'll bite. Is there a reason to prefer the SB6120 over the SB6121? Or it's just the one you happened to buy?

I checked, my cable modem has only DOCSIS 2.0 -- I wonder if upgrading would actually make a difference for me. I have Comcast cable here in central Illinois. "Things that make you go hmmmm.."

Edit: Looks like it might if DOCSIS 3.0 has been rolled out in my area, although I haven't been able to figure out where Comcast might tell me that...

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2011, 19:09.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 17:09 eRe4s3r

youtube sorts videos by priority, high popularity videos get more BW, low pop get low bw.. this is why bluesnews videos can seem to load slower than "popular" youtube videos

Theres also that many ISP's throttle youtube

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 16:57 Fletch

I occasionally have YT videos take long time to load (I think I'm 15mb), but just refreshing the page or switching the video's resolution lower and then back up again often "fixes" it right quick.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 16:54 Endo

I've been having speed issues with Youtube for years.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 16:49 Darks

Blues, I know what you mean, Ive been trying to view some Diablo 3 beta vids and its shitty ass slow.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 16:46 space captain

zincthallinide wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 14:17:
Technically, there is no finite speed of light,

yeh thats wrong

Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 15:45 EddieTheHack

I have only been having speed issues with youtube since G+ fully launched. I am betting certain data centers are struggling with the torrents of fresh data spilling in and localized slowdowns are happening when the video you want is in the same data center as a G+ server cluster.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 14:41 Sugarman

Get the Motorola Docsis 3.0 cablemodem. Even on the midrange speed package I get 72Mbps down and 7Mbps up, way faster than what it's advertised at, only supposed to get 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. This is the one I'm using [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122009] given the speedboost from Cox Communications gives you much more bandwidth temporarily. My old Docsis 2.0 modem would top out at 18Mbps down. This is at my business, I also put one in at my home and it peaked at 95Mbps down the very first time I tried it on Speakeasy's speedtest page.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 14:36 Mashiki Amiketo

Slowness of youtube is random, but seems to do more with problems with a local cache server.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 14:22 Ant

I noticed the same problem too at home and work, Blue. It's not all videos since not all videos are on the same server. Also, YouTube was/is having problems with its subscriptions.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2011, 14:22 PHJF

Every since Gametrailers.com switched video systems I've had shitty buffering from them as well. With youtube, yeah it depends on the video... Some will take as long to load as to watch, others never have a problem.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo