Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order

The latest development in the protracted legal wrangling over rights to a Fallout MMORPG is detailed on Develop, where they have word that a California court has refused to honor Bethesda Softworks' motion for a restraining order against Bulgarian developer Masthead Studios. Here's their summary:

Bethesda first sued Interplay in 2009, before months later a US District Court judge denied its motion for a preliminary injunction.

Bethesda then put a new angle on its complaint. In its second suit, it said Interplay and Masthead could not use assets, characters or narrative belonging to the Fallout IP.

But Judge Walter now claims Bethesda “has not demonstrated that it will be irreparably prejudiced” if the restraining order is enacted.

Bethesda has not shown it is without fault in creating the dispute, the judge ruled.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order Sep 24, 2011, 14:23 Warskull

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 21:33:
At this rate, we'll all be 60 when it goes on sale.

For consoles.

^D^

I'm not sure they actually want to make an MMO. Interplay just wants the full value of their IP. Bethesda refused to buy the MMO rights and now decided they want them. Interplay can only hold on to them if they are working on a Fallout MMO. Instead of buying the rights from Interplay they are trying to sue the rights out of them and now the whole thing is potentially backfiring. Interplay probably still wants to sell the rights to Bethesda, or if their motion to void the contract goes through someone else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order Sep 24, 2011, 07:11 beigemore

I honestly did not realize that Interplay is/was still around.  

5. Re: Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order Sep 24, 2011, 01:15 killer_roach

Krovven wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 23:34:
But I have however heard that Interplay could be close to bankruptcy, again. This is exactly what Bethesda is trying to force.

Not that Interplay really needs any help in going bankrupt...

4. Re: Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order Sep 23, 2011, 23:34 Krovven

If you do some quick Google searches...

Bethesda has attempted many times to impede Interplay in making the MMO despite it being in the contract when the IP was sold. Because Bethesda has been rejected at every turn, Interplay is now going after Bethesda for breach of contract, which Interplay is trying to have the contract reverted to the previous agreement of Bethesda only having license to make 1 more Fallout game.

But I have however heard that Interplay could be close to bankruptcy, again. This is exactly what Bethesda is trying to force.

3. Re: Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order Sep 23, 2011, 22:37 StingingVelvet

The definition of insanity is...  

2. Re: Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order Sep 23, 2011, 21:33 ^Drag0n^

God, this is getting ridiculous.

Two monkeys and Paris Hilton are more likely to ship a Fallout MMORPG than Interplay and Masthead. Which is only a notch or two above Bethesda doing the same.

Seriously.

All we have seen is artwork and a bible document, representing 4+ years of work.

My last crew did that in 3 months.

At this rate, we'll all be 60 when it goes on sale.

For consoles.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

1. Re: Bethesda Denied Fallout MMOG Restraining Order Sep 23, 2011, 21:24 Cutter

Woohohoo! And the plot thickens...

Maybe Bethsoft should turn this into a DLC.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo