Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameFront - Consoles Have Just Become Sh*tty PCs.
Itís funny, but I used to think PC gamers had all the problems. What with games becoming obsolete upon the release of a new OS, the lack of extra support and new content that studios lavish on console games, and the ever-present problems with excessive digital rights management, I was once glad that I stuck to consoles. After all, with an Xbox 360 or PS3, you just pop in a disc and the game works, right? Sure, the graphics might not be on par and the deep customization options donít exist, but at least we get right into a game ó no fuss, no muss.

Thinking of that attitude as I come fresh off a forty-five minute Resistance 3 patch, I canít help feeling like a little bit of a tool.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2011, 00:25 Sepharo

Welp...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Op Ed Sep 24, 2011, 00:15 Jerykk

Well, console games don't JUST care about ease of use. They care about cost, someone can break into console gaming for $200 rather than maybe $700 for a PC that can handle newly released games. There's also the recurring cost of PC upgrades; you can play the latest games on a 6 year old Xbox 360, but not on a 6 year old PC.

And for me, the ability to rent console games is a huge advantage. With a game that lasts 10 hours you're really better off paying $8 for a rental than $60 to own a new release. They also care about selection, with the quantity and production budget of console exclusives outweighing that of PC exclusives. Also, the vast majority of console games don't have serial numbers, meaning they retain some of their value and there is a market for trading and selling. Again making the hobby more affordable.

PC gaming may have a higher initial barrier to entry but in the long-term, you save more money. The standard MSRP for most PC games is $10-20 lower than the standard MSRP for a console game. In addition, PC games go on sale sooner and much more often. If you buy a lot of games each year, you'll save at least $100 a year vs console gaming. In addition, if your console is an Xbox and you want to play your games online, that's an additional $60 a year. And if you want to upgrade your Xbox's HD, you're going to get horribly ripped off because the official Xbox drives are way overpriced.

As for rentals and used sales, that's a slippery slope. Those are basically just legal ways of saving money at the expense of developers, as they are rewarded little to no profit from rentals and no profit whatsoever from used sales. If you don't care about such things, you might as well just get your games for free and that's much easier to do on PC.

8. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 20:15 entr0py

Well, console games don't JUST care about ease of use. They care about cost, someone can break into console gaming for $200 rather than maybe $700 for a PC that can handle newly released games. There's also the recurring cost of PC upgrades; you can play the latest games on a 6 year old Xbox 360, but not on a 6 year old PC.

And for me, the ability to rent console games is a huge advantage. With a game that lasts 10 hours you're really better off paying $8 for a rental than $60 to own a new release. They also care about selection, with the quantity and production budget of console exclusives outweighing that of PC exclusives. Also, the vast majority of console games don't have serial numbers, meaning they retain some of their value and there is a market for trading and selling. Again making the hobby more affordable.

I still prefer PC games for all the reasons that everyone else has articulated. But I think you guys tend to sell short the advantages of consoles.

7. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 09:36 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 04:48:
Pretty good article but sadly, it won't convert any console gamers into PC gamers.
Why should they? Console gamers only want to have a fun game experience on their platform of choice. And more console gamers realizing that the majors consider them stupid consumer sheeple who will endure ANYTHING to get their gaming fix, the better.

6. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 04:48 Jerykk

Pretty good article but sadly, it won't convert any console gamers into PC gamers. Console gamers are console gamers for a reason. They care about convenience above all else. Why else would they settle for no flexibility, inferior graphics, inferior framerates, more expensive games, fees for basic online functionality and no mod support whatsoever? Sure, consoles now have firmware updates, game patches, serial numbers, etc, just like the PC, but that stuff doesn't require any tech savvy. It just requires time. Conversely, if you want to install new drivers for your videocard or configure your game's settings, that takes a modicum of technical knowledge. It doesn't take long to google terms like "V-sync" or "antialiasing" but that's still too much effort for the average console gamer.  

5. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 03:07 bhcompy

Consoles are shitty PCs because all the meatheads wanted to do shit on their consoles that they should have left on the PC to begin with. Leave the multimedia, ditch all the other shit  

3. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 00:21 dj LiTh

I've always considered consoles the perfect gaming platform for sports and fighting games...thats it, pc's do everything else better without question (just talkin gameplay here, which is why i play games)  

2. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 00:00 PropheT

Pretty sure this is just Jim trolling for hits again, but...This isn't a consoles gripe, this is a PS3 gripe. I can't think of one single time I've been stuck waiting for my 360 to update firmware so that I could use the store or download a patch so I could play a game that took more than 10 seconds. Gears of War 3 needed a patch when I put it in this week to first play it, and it took all of 5 seconds to download and restart the game...my PS3 often takes half an hour or more just to see what's new on the damn store.

I prefer my PC to either of them but that's because I have some control over what I'm using on it with mods or performance, not ease of use. This stuff does suck, but give credit where it's due here and point the finger at Sony where it belongs.

1. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 22:42 Creston

"pop in the disc and play" was just about the only real advantage consoles still had anymore, and in the age of the PS3 and the 360, that's been completely and utterly nullified, with the PS3 taking longer to patch shit than my PC EVER has.

Creston

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo