Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III DRM Problems

Rock, Paper, Shotgun discusses the always-on DRM in the Diablo III beta in an article titled "How Diablo IIIís DRM Will Affect You," posted under the heading "Why Blizzard Must Reconsider." This recaps Blizzard's reasoning for requiring a constant internet connection to play the upcoming action/RPG sequel, and in spite of there being a better reason for risking players losing their progress due to crashing than was the case in Settlers VII, says: "it doesnít make the problem go away, and I want to strongly argue that Blizzard reconsider their decision, in the face of its simply breaking their game. Because no matter how perfect your connection, it will affect you." The author describes losing progress due to server glitches, and grants that this is still a beta, but notes that such glitches are still to be expected occasionally once the game launches for real. He also goes on to outline the following "more striking and regular problem" he has encountered:

You canít pause. In fact, in most ways, the game acts like an MMO. For instance, quit it, and youíre given the optional cooldown to have your player clear the server properly. But itís not an MMO. Itís not even close to an MMO. So when Iím playing the single-player game, and Iím in the middle of a frenzied mob, and thereís a knock at the front door, thereís nothing I can do. As happened to me yesterday. Twice. On another occasion I was surprised by a phone call that led to my having to do some other things. Iíd safely left my character in a cleared area, but long between checkpoints. When I came back to the PC, Iíd been idle for too long and the game had logged me out.

Iíd been logged out of a single-player game because I was away for an hour. And thus lost all my progress (although not my items and stats) since the last checkpoint, a long, long way back.

In fact, currently, losing your connection (either by idling or the server going down) resets huge chunks of what youíve already played, such that the map is blank, and you need to battle through it again. Whether thatís an issue with the beta, or something that will also carry through to the finished game, we obviously donít know. But itís another clear example of how having your single-player, offline game require a constant connection is massively idiotic and counter-productive.

Games with occasional checkpoints are obviously a massive pain for anyone who might or need to stop playing at that moment Ė something thatís not exactly an uncommon occurrence. But a game where thatís the case, AND you canít even leave it running in the background, is beyond acceptable.

View
107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

107. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 26, 2011, 11:02 Bhruic

I can't fathom a single player game getting released without pause. It sucks when I get interrupted in the middle of multiplayer games, but that's a risk I take for the benefit of multiplayer.

It's not exactly a constant risk. Hell, even Starcraft II has a pause option built in, and that's a (primarily) competitive multiplayer game. There's no excuse for not having a pause option in a co-operative one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

106. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 26, 2011, 10:07 Beamer

I can't fathom a single player game getting released without pause. It sucks when I get interrupted in the middle of multiplayer games, but that's a risk I take for the benefit of multiplayer.

Diablo is almost definitely a game I'd prefer singleplayer, too. It's one of those games that's less rewarding with strangers than it is alone, and at this point I can guarantee I don't know a single person I'd play it with.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

105. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 26, 2011, 09:46 Overon

There is a video on youtube of a guy playing the beta and during his wizard beta playthrough he experiences what is simply unacceptable. He loses his connection to battlenet. And all of a sudden the enemies stop moving and he can't do anything except move around and can't affect the game. Also he was in between checkpoints. So he had to replay since his last checkpoint.

This is the consequences of a lack fo quicksave and forcing you to maintain a connection to battletnet even when you are playing a single player game.

I think Blizzard can do wrong and has done wrong. They need to rethink this.

104. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 25, 2011, 05:06 Asmo

Erebus wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:09:
This is a tempest in a teapot. The proof is in the quality of the overall experience, which I'm guessing will be Blizzard-level all the way.

IMHO most of the best and most relevant gaming experiences today are real-time experiences that don't let you get up and take a little vacation at the door, phone, or water closet. Whether RTS, FPS, or MMO you can't just leave in the middle of a battle.

Game developers have a right to DRM, and online play and server-side components are about the only way to achieve it unless you're into dongles. We're all going to have higher quality experiences, SP and MP, when piracy is a thing of the past.

Lemme guess, you don't have kids? Part of my major departure from MMO's was not being able to do anything I used to like (raid etc) because of a young child. I abstain just in case because I don't want to inconvenience everyone else asking for a 5 min stop (which can turn in to hours if you're unlucky).

Single player is exactly that, and you should have the choice to pause and answer the door, phone, take a shit, get some food, get sex (I'm married, I can't afford to knock back that offer) etc

Actually, I wonder how this will work if there is a hardcore mod or mode out? Oh dear, I lagged and my hardcore character is toast... G effing G.

103. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 24, 2011, 10:02 Slashman

What's funny is that I've been on scene release sights when Ubi first did this with AssCreed 2. Contrary to what the devs and publishers were telling themselves...people simply waited for a decent emulator and crack. Some of them bitched and some of them whined. Others simply checked in over and over again...but there didn't seem to be any mass rush to purchase the game.

Oddly enough, Blizzard doesn't even need to worry about the piracy. People buy their games blindly, without even worrying past the point of if it is a Blizzard game.

Still...it's yet another Blizzard game that I will gladly skip. Nothing I've seen of it has yet to show me something significantly better than Titan Quest(and in fact it is more shallow). And for a game in development for so long...that's the real sad part.

102. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 24, 2011, 01:09 Animals for Crackers

Emulated servers take time and resources to perfect is my point I guess. Much of the time the information/values used are best-guesses and approximations, some code has to be re-written from the ground up. It can take awhile for an emulated server to reach the same level of parity of it's officially supported sibling to where the average player wouldn't notice.

I play EQ Emu and nothing is ever perfect, more than 10 years after release. Things taken for granted in most games are still being patched in to this day. I'm not disagreeing that it would not be a superior product eventually, just saying it wouldn't be as instantaneous as any other pirated/cracked game (like Diablo 2) that isn't filled to the brim with other MMO trappings and for all intents and purposes basically IS an MMO. It's different this time.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2011, 01:20.

101. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 24, 2011, 00:58 Sepharo

Animals for Crackers wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 00:39:
It sounds like the best solution will be to wait for pirates to release a superior product.

I've read that since this uses the same network infrastructure as WoW, the majority of the game logic will need to come from their servers. They're trying to unify the entire game into a more MMO-ish experience, with the AH, etc.; having an SP component would open up the floodgates for hacks that enable people to sell/dupe items not earned in the online component just like D2, and since there's now a real money AH, it's not surprising they went this route. Cheating/duping was a huge problem for D2. This is one way to solve most of that. Everything has to be authenticated on their end.

So playing a cracked version just for SP, you will still need to be online and on an emulated server to get the game logic to work properly.

It sucks I know, but I don't think they can so easily disentangle a separate SP experience from what they're doing right now with the game. It's too late. They'd have to delay the game by another 6 months at the least if they were to change it.

So.... It sounds like the best solution will be to wait for pirates to release a superior product.

100. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 24, 2011, 00:39 Animals for Crackers

It sounds like the best solution will be to wait for pirates to release a superior product.

I've read that since this uses the same network infrastructure as WoW, the majority of the game logic will need to come from their servers. They're trying to unify the entire game into a more MMO-ish experience, with the AH, etc.; having an SP component would open up the floodgates for hacks that enable people to sell/dupe items not earned in the online component just like D2, and since there's now a real money AH, it's not surprising they went this route. Cheating/duping was a huge problem for D2. This is one way to solve most of that. Everything has to be authenticated on their end.

So playing a cracked version just for SP, you will still need to be online and on an emulated server to get the game logic to work properly.

It sucks I know, but I don't think they can so easily disentangle a separate SP experience from what they're doing right now with the game. It's too late. They'd have to delay the game by another 6 months at the least if they were to change it.

I'm still on the fence on whether I will eventually buy this. I love me some Diablo and all these inconvenience make me sad, even if for the most part I'm largely unaffected by most of them (I played D2 mostly solo in private sessions on Battle.net). Others are VERY affected unfortunately.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2011, 00:51.

99. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 23:27 Prez

merloid wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 22:03:
Prez wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 20:50:
This straw man argument is getting a bit old. At the very least it's an apples to oranges comparison...

... I played Diablo 2 on a computer not connected to the internet, and I played it over a LAN not connected to the internet. These were features that would still be features had they not been subsequently removed to accommodate Blizzard's new asinine DRM scheme, and for no other reason. Conversely, no one ever complained about Guild Wars' lack of LAN play because it was never designed for it.

Just a personal observation here - It seems like some of the Blizzard faithful are going out of their way to rationalize this nonsense to themselves so that they feel less like tools for buying into Blizzard's bullshit here...

Says the person who resorts to ad hominem. Well, to use your reasoning, Diablo III, clearly, was never designed for LAN play so then why are you complaining? I hadn't considered my argument to be a straw man in any respect and this is very much an apples to apples comparison. Guild Wars 2 is being designed as an online only game.. as is Diablo III.

Deal with it.

If they add an offline mode during their beta, then they add it. Make no mistake, I'll be happy. But the point is that this is no more a DRM scheme than anything Guild Wars 2 is giving you.. or any other game that requires you to play on a server. There's nothing to rationalize here.. it is merely a fact.

And none of this negates the lack of features Diablo III seems to be shipping without. Such _as_ a seemingly lackluster waypoint system and no method for pausing the game, both features than can and have been added to other online-only games. Perhaps reasons why it's not going to ship until 2012..?

Dear Mr. Sensitive:

Diablo 3 may been designed as an online only game, but the franchise being turned into an online only game is a drastic shift from the norm. Notice how Blizzard didn't call WoW "Warcraft 4"? By your reasoning, they could have and no one has the right to be miffed at it. I don't care what apologists like you might think; Diablo's online only requirement is DRM. If it makes you feel better, Guild War's online only component serves as DRM so it could technically be called as such. At any rate, it's a stupid comparison that doesn't work regardless of how you spin it. Diablo 3 has a singleplayer component; Guild Wars does not. It can be played solo but you still share the towns with others players. And I won't "deal with it", just as I don't deal with Ubisoft's bullshit DRM. At least they have the grace not to lie about it and tell me it's to prevent cheating.

If Blizzard had made an isolated offline component for SP, separate from the online SP, as they did with SC2, no one would be complaining. But despite there being no good reason not to, they refuse, then turn around and insultingly try to spin this as being to our benefit.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2011, 23:39.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

98. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 22:20 Lokust

97. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 22:03 merloid

Prez wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 20:50:
This straw man argument is getting a bit old. At the very least it's an apples to oranges comparison...

... I played Diablo 2 on a computer not connected to the internet, and I played it over a LAN not connected to the internet. These were features that would still be features had they not been subsequently removed to accommodate Blizzard's new asinine DRM scheme, and for no other reason. Conversely, no one ever complained about Guild Wars' lack of LAN play because it was never designed for it.

Just a personal observation here - It seems like some of the Blizzard faithful are going out of their way to rationalize this nonsense to themselves so that they feel less like tools for buying into Blizzard's bullshit here...

Says the person who resorts to ad hominem. Well, to use your reasoning, Diablo III, clearly, was never designed for LAN play so then why are you complaining? I hadn't considered my argument to be a straw man in any respect and this is very much an apples to apples comparison. Guild Wars 2 is being designed as an online only game.. as is Diablo III.

Deal with it.

If they add an offline mode during their beta, then they add it. Make no mistake, I'll be happy. But the point is that this is no more a DRM scheme than anything Guild Wars 2 is giving you.. or any other game that requires you to play on a server. There's nothing to rationalize here.. it is merely a fact.

And none of this negates the lack of features Diablo III seems to be shipping without. Such _as_ a seemingly lackluster waypoint system and no method for pausing the game, both features than can and have been added to other online-only games. Perhaps reasons why it's not going to ship until 2012..?

96. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 22:00 eRe4s3r

It will happen a week after a Diablo 3 Emulator Crack has been made, and you know its gonna be made. Because it was made for SC2 as well  

95. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 14:05 Flatline

avianflu wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 13:07:
No interest in this game until one year after release when blizzard introduces an "offline edition."

That won't happen before there is a general consensus that spending 50 bucks to watch blizzcon on your computer monitor is a stupid waste of money. At this point, Blizzard could shit on a plate and you'd have people willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it.

Then... *maybe*... some day... years later... Blizzard might relent.

94. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 13:07 avianflu

No interest in this game until one year after release when blizzard introduces an "offline edition."  

93. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 11:33 netWilk

InBlack wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 03:23:
Yeah this is not a MMORPG. It is a MULTIPLAYER game though, does Battlefield 3 have a pause? Does L4D have a pause?

There is no single-player portion of Diablo3, you can choose to play it solo, but its a multiplayer game through and through.

I fail to see why this causes so much bitching, OMG THERE IS NO PAUSE!!!! ARRRRRGGGHHHH, its the end of the world!

(I understand your reasoning if all you want out of Diablo3 is singleplayer, in that case all of the whining is justified. Blizzard shot themselves in the foot. They should have simply announced that there will be no singleplayer and end of story)

Yes, L4D has pause. And L4D2. And Torchlight. And so do Supreme Commander & Rise of Nations, in multi-player no less...

92. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 11:32 dheer

Julio wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 05:04:
Hope this works out as well for Blizzard as Dragon Age 2 changes worked out for Bioware.

The only thing I'm looking forward to now for Diablo 3 is the obligatory dev interview where they tell us:
-We made major changes and stand by them
-Gamers just didn't get it, otherwise they would have bought our game
-We didn't learn anything from screwing up, we'll do it again
Ouch. Sadly, I have to agree. Quite a few companies that have done well in the past, game studio or not, seem to forget how they became successful and are shocked when they design something not for the benefit of their customers or audience and it fails. Hard. The Netflix fiasco as an example of how quickly it can go wrong.

Bioware, with DA2, loves saying how it's been financially successful. I can't help but laugh to myself whenever I see it repeated, knowing they lost half of the people who bought the first game. It reminds me of the middle school I drive by on the way to work every morning. They have a banner over the front door that reads "Adequate yearly progress three years in a row!" Talk about celebrating mediocrity. Sheesh.

To the subject at hand, I played D2 online with a few friends but most of the time solo. Every feature they take away from the game or hassle they add to it in the name of preventing multiplayer cheating, makes the game less and less appealing. I've gone from drooling and giddy waiting for news about the game to meh, maybe if it's bargain bin. *sigh*

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

91. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 11:12 Slashman

Dev wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:14:
Not going to happen. All the changes in starcraft 2 didn't stop it from being a huge success. This is blizzard, people go nuts over their games regardless of what they are. D3 is going to be a massive hit, even if a few percent of people refuse to buy it. I don't like this stuff (I played d1 and d2 almost entirely for single player, I don't care much about multiplayer), but I can be realistic about the sales potential of blizzard games.

I don't think anyone here will argue this point. However, that's exactly what makes stuff like this a sad case and not something to be celebrated.

I haven't bought a Blizzard game since Warcraft 3. I'm a minority in the gaming world, but I don't feel the need to blindly close my eyes and sell out because my secret identity is 'Easily Distracted Man'.

No one should promote these types of practices. Whether it be by Ubisoft, Blizzard, Bioware or any other developer.

If Blizzard comes out and says that this game is multiplayer-only, then I don't suppose anyone will have any grounds to argue. However, they have never said that. No one thought that they would be buying a multiplayer-only game, even if some people were planning to only play online.

But hey...I'm going to go out and buy the game anyway right? Except, you know, I won't...

90. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 10:51 Mr. Tact

InBlack wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 03:23:
(I understand your reasoning if all you want out of Diablo3 is singleplayer, in that case all of the whining is justified. Blizzard shot themselves in the foot. They should have simply announced that there will be no singleplayer and end of story)

Yes, that is exactly what I want. Although I did play LAN games with D2, I had then and have now no interest in battle.net. You are also right about Blizzard -- if they had come out and said "There is no single player D3, it is a multiplayer game." I would have said, "oh well" and went on my merry way.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

89. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 10:14 Dev

Julio wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 05:04:
This game has gone from a must buy, to a 'maybe buy' (due to DRM/Real Cash Microtransaction Auction House crap), to a 'not buying it' (no pause).

Hope this works out as well for Blizzard as Dragon Age 2 changes worked out for Bioware.

The only thing I'm looking forward to now for Diablo 3 is the obligatory dev interview where they tell us:
-We made major changes and stand by them
-Gamers just didn't get it, otherwise they would have bought our game
-We didn't learn anything from screwing up, we'll do it again

Not going to happen. All the changes in starcraft 2 didn't stop it from being a huge success. This is blizzard, people go nuts over their games regardless of what they are. D3 is going to be a massive hit, even if a few percent of people refuse to buy it. I don't like this stuff (I played d1 and d2 almost entirely for single player, I don't care much about multiplayer), but I can be realistic about the sales potential of blizzard games.

88. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 23, 2011, 09:49 yuastnav

Warrax wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 09:29:
[...] you probably gonna end up buying it anyway you know you're just being picky.

Because clearly it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a solid state of morals that you don't throw out the window the moment someone waves something shiny in your face.

107 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo