Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends

Techgage and PC Perspective both offer reports based on a conference call conducted by NVIDIA to discuss gaming trends on the PC platform. They provide results of some research conducted by DFC Intelligence to suggest that not only is PC gaming not on the wane, as some have suggested, but that revenues from PC games will surpass consoles by 2014, offering a graph showing the uptrend in sales via digital distribution, online subscriptions, and microtransactions being a major part of this equation. True to NVIDIA's business, they also offer a graph showing the steady improvement in PC graphics performance in the past six years compared that with console graphics performance, which obviously has not changed at all over that span. They start at 2005 showing PC graphics performance about 80% higher than the Xbox 360, and the uptrend that leads to the present, where graphics performance on the PC is shown to be nearly 900% higher than on the 360.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 24, 2011, 01:04 Beaner

I remember when so many in the gaming industry were sounding the death toll for PC gaming. The industry forgot to consider that all those young casual gamers are growing up. Its no longer a few of us old school PC gamers. Its a whole generation of young gamers who are now far more sophisticated in their taste's.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 23, 2011, 15:14 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:48:
Can there be a difference between GPUs with regards to IQ? Sure. Like I said, ATI has pretty much always had a slight edge in IQ vs Nvidia, but that's a difference that's noticeable only if you compare side by side screenshots.

That has actually not been true for a few years by now. nVidia has long taken the lead in IQ thanks to a much better implementation of AF and slightly better AA modes. The argument that ATI may be a tad bit slower but offers better IQ is obsolete and has been for a long time already (like when the ATI 9800s were around). You may want to update yourself on this stuff some time.

24. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 23, 2011, 01:36 KilrathiAce

Why would I want to play on crap hardware that is xbox 360 when I have a nice baby PC I built with true power and at same time I can do a lot more than crap consoles. If I had xbox the only use for it would be, well stress relief with a hammer.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

23. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 22:03 Lorcin

Beamer wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:47:
PC releases occasionally come out months later due to piracy concerns.

PC releases often come out months later because the team is being pressed for time and need to focus on getting a good product out the door by the release date. Rather than let all 3 platforms slip a small amount they let the platform that needs the most individual work yet will sell the least slip for a long amount.

PC releases also often come out months later because a different team works on them and they can't complete until the other versions are done.

But don't let the conspiracy train stop.

I'm not saying if I believe that or not but as I've been a PC Gamer since Doom (1) I honestly have to say PC gamers are the connoisseurs. A well built pc game is like an aged singled malt whiskey - the best the lager boys on the consoles can hope is that their cheap lager doesn't give them too bad a headache.

There's the odd beer like god of war which is worth a nights drinking - but for the most part lets leave the plebs to their lager. Bring on the whiskey.

PS I actually hate whiskey - but vodka didn't fit the tone

22. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 21:25 JaguarUSF

WaltC wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:53:
replace your aging 8800GTs with a single inexpensive AMD HD 5770 or 6770

I have a 5770 and it's fantastic.

21. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 21:23 HorrorScope

Make consoles like Apple products. Keep pumping out upgraded units that are 100% compatible. Or perhaps Apple will enter the fray and lay waste to the other two.

ATI and NVidia should make PC games to actually push pc gaming and their sales forward.

20. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 18:48 Creston

WaltC wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 17:09:

Magically? I don't think there's anything "magical" about the fact that a new DX-11 class gpu renders better IQ than a practically ancient DX9-class gpu. All I can tell you is that the difference was stark to my eyes. Maybe you don't see so well...or maybe it's a difference in monitors...I don't know. But *my* 8800GT is retired, permanently...;) That's all I can tell you.

I mean, there are people who swear to me that the IQ from their old 21" CRT's is better than current LCDs with higher resolution. In all seriousness, the only way I can explain that is to conclude that they are nearly blind...;)

I quote : "And I don't mean DX11 vs DX9--I'm talking vastly improved DX9 game displays."

I'd seriously like for you to explain to me how two graphics cards with settings maxed out on a DX9 game, can look "vastly better" than one another. Because the game's still sending the same rendering instructions, and once your graphics settings are maxed, there's nothing there to make it look better. (note, two fairly modern cards. Obviously if you go 6 generations back it'll look better because of the Shader model being used. But a shader model 4 8800GT vs a shader model 4 GTX580?)

Can there be a difference between GPUs with regards to IQ? Sure. Like I said, ATI has pretty much always had a slight edge in IQ vs Nvidia, but that's a difference that's noticeable only if you compare side by side screenshots.

An 8800GT rendering a DX9 game is going to produce the same image as a GTX580 rendering that DX9 game (all other variables being equal.)

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2011, 18:53.

19. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 18:47 Beamer

PC releases occasionally come out months later due to piracy concerns.

PC releases often come out months later because the team is being pressed for time and need to focus on getting a good product out the door by the release date. Rather than let all 3 platforms slip a small amount they let the platform that needs the most individual work yet will sell the least slip for a long amount.

PC releases also often come out months later because a different team works on them and they can't complete until the other versions are done.

But don't let the conspiracy train stop.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 18:30 ASeven

I honestly don't believe this will be a cycle the next time new consoles come out. The reason I don't believe it is that the next consoles won't be a technological leap like the PS2 was to the PS1 or the PS3 and Xbox360 were to the PS2 and Xbox. The leap will be far smaller and I don't think the graphical quality will be that different like it was in previous console generations.

The fact MS and Sony keep saying this current generation of consoles are fine just gives credence to my reasoning. I think people will move to the PC expecting another huge leap in graphics and technology like the previous generations of consoles and when they see the leap isn't that big at all many might stick to the PC.

17. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:25 ^Drag0n^

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:30:
Well that and the fact that this is mostly WoW expansion and Facebook games.

I'm honestly quite surprised that NV/ATI are weathering this economic climate, given the fact that 5-year-old 8xxx series hardware still runs most modern games admirably well. I'm still running a pair of 8800GTX's in SLI on my current rig, and I can play *anything* maxxed out in HD resolution.

All I lose out on is tessilation (Oooooo...)

^D^

Heh...;) Keep telling yourself that...;) Or, do what I did and replace your aging 8800GTs with a single inexpensive AMD HD 5770 or 6770--and get ready for some vastly improved graphics. And I don't mean DX11 vs DX9--I'm talking vastly improved DX9 game displays. Until you yank those old ponies out and replace them with something current you simply won't be able to imagine let alone appreciate the difference that will greet you eyes the very first time you game. I was amazed, frankly. Now I am assuming that your current monitor isn't as old hat as your gpus--'cause if you are still doing CRT or you are looking at a 5-year-old LCD display, then I might not bother. Ugh...;) Seriously guy, you are missing a lot, no kidding.

I have a Radeon 6-series card in my shuttle in the livingroom; I really just don't see a big difference between the 8800gtx and the 6770 IQ.

Now going back to the 7950gtx? There I DEFINITELY see a quality dropoff....

*shrug*

PS: That you, |2|?

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

16. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:20 Draugr

Zyrxil wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:44:
Those are hugely inaccurate graphs.

The revenue one shows PC gaming revenues grow nonstop while console revenues dip 5% in the next 5 years. Optimistic, to say the least.

The performance one has the 8800GT being 3x as powerful as a console. The console GPUs are approximately 7800GTX level, and there is no benchmark that will show a 8800GT as 3x the power of a 7800GTX.

The data for video card performance is all over the internet, seems like 3x the power is the case in Crysis (if we're using the 7800 GTX as the 'console equivalent'.) I'm sure it's not the only game.

Here's a Decent breakdown of the two cards with multiple benchmarks.

Doesn't seem inaccurate, give or take a few percentage points. Though ymmv depending on the game, in some cases it only doubles performance. Generally speaking though the 3x power assertion seems pretty accurate.

The console projections don't seem to stray to much from what the trends would indicate, so it seems quite plausible, and to see them wane in popularity as they age I don't think seems implausible, and would contribute to this. The PC numbers certainly do seem slighty optimistic, though they've cleary been trending upwards for some time, for that to continue seems reasonable, but perhaps not at the rate they project..

15. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:19 Cornholio

WaltC wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 17:09:
Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:58:

Really? I just yanked out my 5850 to put it in my new box, and put my old 8800GT back in my current one, and games look pretty much the same to me. (other than the fact that ATI has always had better IQ than Nvidia.)

How are these things magically getting better if you've already got the settings maxed out?

Creston

Magically? I don't think there's anything "magical" about the fact that a new DX-11 class gpu renders better IQ than a practically ancient DX9-class gpu. All I can tell you is that the difference was stark to my eyes. Maybe you don't see so well...or maybe it's a difference in monitors...I don't know. But *my* 8800GT is retired, permanently...;) That's all I can tell you.

I mean, there are people who swear to me that the IQ from their old 21" CRT's is better than current LCDs with higher resolution. In all seriousness, the only way I can explain that is to conclude that they are nearly blind...;)

My old IIyama still has better IQ than the LCD I'm using now, or any lcd my friends have.
But I left it with my mom so I no longer can really call it mine...

I upgraded from a 4870x2 to two 6950's and there was no difference. The card I had before that? x1950 pro. No difference.

The only reason I can't do Nvidia is because I can't stand the way colours look in games. As far as IQ goes Matrox>ATI>Nvidia. Has nothing to do with the dx version of the card.

14. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:11 PHJF

You're an idiot.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:09 WaltC

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:58:

Really? I just yanked out my 5850 to put it in my new box, and put my old 8800GT back in my current one, and games look pretty much the same to me. (other than the fact that ATI has always had better IQ than Nvidia.)

How are these things magically getting better if you've already got the settings maxed out?

Creston

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

12. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:05 Creston

WaltC wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:52:
necrosis wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:17:
So why do PC versions come out months after their console counterparts again?

Because idiot publishers believe that that will somehow magically lessen piracy.

Creston

Yea, the sentiment about that is crazy...;) I mean, all you have to do is Google or Bing "copying xbox 360 disks" and you'll see pages of "how to's"...;) I was surprised, actually, by how rampant the practice of bootlegging console gaming DVDs apparently is--you'd think it was non-existent listening to some folks.

Well, not only that, but if someone is determined to pirate it on the PC, they'll just wait a month and pirate it then. I think the amount of people who have a mentality of "I will either pirate it now, but if I can't, I'll spend 60 bucks on the inferior console version" can be counted on no hands. Ie, they don't exist.

Creston

11. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:59 WaltC

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:52:

Because idiot publishers believe that that will somehow magically lessen piracy.

Creston

Yea, the sentiment about that is crazy...;) I mean, all you have to do is Google or Bing "copying xbox 360 disks" and you'll see pages of "how to's"...;) I was surprised, actually, by how rampant the practice of bootlegging console gaming DVDs apparently is--you'd think it was non-existent listening to some folks.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

10. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:58 Creston

Heh...;) Keep telling yourself that...;) Or, do what I did and replace your aging 8800GTs with a single inexpensive AMD HD 5770 or 6770--and get ready for some vastly improved graphics. And I don't mean DX11 vs DX9--I'm talking vastly improved DX9 game displays. Until you yank those old ponies out and replace them with something current you simply won't be able to imagine let alone appreciate the difference that will greet you eyes the very first time you game. I was amazed, frankly. Now I am assuming that your current monitor isn't as old hat as your gpus--'cause if you are still doing CRT or you are looking at a 5-year-old LCD display, then I might not bother. Ugh...;) Seriously guy, you are missing a lot, no kidding.

Creston

9. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:53 WaltC

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:30:
Well that and the fact that this is mostly WoW expansion and Facebook games.

I'm honestly quite surprised that NV/ATI are weathering this economic climate, given the fact that 5-year-old 8xxx series hardware still runs most modern games admirably well. I'm still running a pair of 8800GTX's in SLI on my current rig, and I can play *anything* maxxed out in HD resolution.

All I lose out on is tessilation (Oooooo...)

^D^

8. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:52 Creston

Creston

7. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:44 Zyrxil

Those are hugely inaccurate graphs.

The revenue one shows PC gaming revenues grow nonstop while console revenues dip 5% in the next 5 years. Optimistic, to say the least.

The performance one has the 8800GT being 3x as powerful as a console. The console GPUs are approximately 7800GTX level, and there is no benchmark that will show a 8800GT as 3x the power of a 7800GTX.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo