Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives

DICE has struck a deal with Sony to make all "full-blown upcoming expansion packs" for Battlefield 3 timed PS3 exclusives, though the exclusivity period will be just one week, as opposed to the approximate month-long headstart Xbox 360 users get on DLC for Call of Duty. Tommy Rydling, Junior Product Manager at DICE, made the announcement on PlayStation Blog: "But thatís not all for our PlayStation fans! Youíll be happy to know that beginning with our first expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand (to be released later this year), all full-blown upcoming expansion packs for the game will appear one week early exclusively on PS3, brought to you by Sony!" Thanks G4tv.com.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 23, 2011, 08:08 SpectralMeat

Xoxotl wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 20:00:
Since PC gamers tend to pretty much stomp all over console gamers in FPS games, I just view this as a form of handicap to give PS3 owners a chance to get a hang of the maps before we come in and school them....

Huh

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 20:57 Teddy

Xoxotl wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 20:00:
Since PC gamers tend to pretty much stomp all over console gamers in FPS games, I just view this as a form of handicap to give PS3 owners a chance to get a hang of the maps before we come in and school them....

Except that we won't be playing against them...

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 20:01 Tumbler

LOL, a week?

Who fucking cares. This ends up making the PS3 look weak in the eyes of consumers. The xbox can keep map packs for CoD exclusive for a month! Oh yeah...well, welll....BF3 DLC will be exclusive to the PS3 for a whole WEEK! BOO YAA!

So stupid.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 20:00 Xoxotl

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 19:52 BurntSoul

Not to try to change the subject, but:

Did you know the Witcher 2 is going to be coming out with some new DLC in late September?

The DLC is Free.
The DLC includes all previous DLC content.
The DLC will be coming out the same time for all platforms it is currently on.
The DLC adds a game type, a tutorial, new quests, another difficulty setting.
The DLC will not have horse armor.

Now that is the right way to do it.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 19:06 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 14:53:
Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 14:45:
Come on.. one week is not that bad for hardworking devs to bring in extra income from the highest bid. Relaxxxx

I doubt Dice devs sees a penny of that, it's most likely EA penning the deals.

Just another in a long running series of bone headed moves related to this games pre-release marketing and support plans. If you go back to the initial announcement its amazing how fairly united people were in their excitement when you compare to +10 stupid announcements later.

Care to elaborate? Its not like this is something evil. If you have your game done and plan on DLC why not look around whether anyone wants to pay your for a week of exclusivity? If anything this announcement means 1 thing, we get a big fat DLC just months after release of BF3 - and i can't see how thats supposed to be bone headed..

Because regardless of whether or not a company is willing to pay for exclusivity, the only people you're screwing with a move like this are the fans of your game on other platforms. Justify it all you like, any form of exclusivity to any individual platform is a slap in the face to people on the other platforms. I paid just as much as John Doe on his PS3, why am I as a PC gamer being punished for that?

Regardless of whether it's only a week, this is nothing more than screwing a portion of their customers for money. How anyone can even defend something like that is just baffling to me.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 17:02 DangerDog

PS3 gamers get to be early beta testers for all Battlefield 3 expansion packs.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 16:30 Joss

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 15:34:
Nah, people bitched plenty when they said they would only think about a map editor.
Yelp! Sad times.

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:34 Verno

necrosis wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 15:20:
I love how more people bitch and moan over the release dates of DLC than the fact there are no mod tools to make our own "DLC".

Nah, people bitched plenty when they said they would only think about a map editor.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:34 entr0py

necrosis wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 15:20:
I love how more people bitch and moan over the release dates of DLC than the fact there are no mod tools to make our own "DLC".

I don't expect any game I buy to have mod tools any more. If I did, I wouldn't buy any games.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:21 Creston

"The PC is our lead platform."

Heh.

Creston

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:20 necrosis

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:20 Verno

If you have your game done and plan on DLC why not look around whether anyone wants to pay your for a week of exclusivity? If anything this announcement means 1 thing, we get a big fat DLC

Publishers and people who work in the industry like exclusivity stuff, no one else does. I see no evidence of getting "a big fat DLC" either, if anything I recall EA saying they were going to focus on more frequent, smaller DLC releases in the future.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:18 eRe4s3r

I see... thanks for spelling it out for me.. i admit i didn't really follow the whole thing.. 4 maps (not to mention some of the best BF2 maps..) are cool DLC but 1 week more or less ain't going to do anything for me.. theres Skyrim coming up as well after all  

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:05 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 15:01:
That page confuses me even more.. it does say the weapons will be for free for everyone, after some time, but pre-orders get it early.. so that means BTK is free for pre-orders (they get it on release day) and the DLC as such will only be sold 1 month later.

Nowhere does it say when the DLC releases or if we get it on day 0 ;(

They haven't announced the release date of the Karkard DLC pack. That's why there's nothing on there. No, you don't get it day 0. It's just free when it IS released.

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:05 SpectralMeat

If you do some Google searching you'll see some other websites console related ones spell it out differently, and it is pretty clear the Karkland pack will be released in about a month after the game releases, and the PS3 will get it first, everyone else after that.

I am sure as we get closer to release things will clear up a little more, but the more announcement these guys do the worst this game looks. Like Verno said not necessarily Dice's fault most likely EA tries to milk this game to death

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:01 eRe4s3r

That page confuses me even more.. it does say the weapons will be for free for everyone, after some time, but pre-orders get it early.. so that means BTK is free for pre-orders (they get it on release day) and the DLC as such will only be sold 1 month later.

Nowhere does it say when the DLC releases or if we get it on day 0 ;(

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 15:01 ^Drag0n^

...because this is how you support your lead platform.

(sic.)

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

9. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 14:57 SpectralMeat

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 14:55:
Ah.. well thats one way to read it. Has it been said anywhere Back to Karkand will not be unlocked on release day? I was under the impression its 0-day DLC for pre-orders and "proper" sales of it will only start with some delay, and THEN 1 week exclusivity applies.

Here: http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-back-to-karkand/

The Back To Karkand DLC will be available for free to those who pre-order Battlefield 3, while everyone else will get a chance to purchase the DLC approximately one month after the release of Battlefield 3.

8. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 14:55 eRe4s3r

Ah.. well thats one way to read it. Has it been said anywhere Back to Karkand will not be unlocked on release day? I was under the impression its 0-day DLC for pre-orders and "proper" sales of it will only start with some delay, and THEN 1 week exclusivity applies.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo