Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameSpy - Should Diablo III have been first person?
I'll admit it. My first ever hands-on time with any Diablo game occurred just 24 hours ago, when my inexperienced Demon Hunter took his first fumbling steps into the Diablo III beta's dark and ominous dungeons. It took just three hours before I'd hacked and slashed my way to the main storyline's satisfying conclusion, but in that short period of time my eyes were opened to an entirely new perspective on a gaming world. As a lover of first person games, the isometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why Blizzard didn't make the leap to first person like so many other developers. This led me to wonder - should Diablo III have been a first person game, and what are the pros and cons of this approach? Let's find out.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:22 Alamar

Should D3 have been a FPS? Obviously not... Obviously...

Should a FPS be made with Diablo style game play? Hell yes... And it's not like there isn't, but the FPS-RPG 'genre' (sub genre?) needs to expand... One of the aspects I like the most about Borderlands (or honestly, any game), is the 'rpg' elements...

Part of the problem has, and will continue to be, the differentiation (/bigwords) of auto-hit (where your characters stats matter), and player-hit. GW2 is trying to get away from auto-hit a bit, but it's still going to be relevant...

Fallout tried to get away with it by having the RPG elements increase weapon damage (and other stats)... But is still heavily auto-hit (VATS) based...

And on the other end of the spectrum, FPS' are more about player dodging (and weapon selection) than any kind of player stats, but even that has been changing (again, gun stats, but also speed, jump height, etc...)... reminds me of that awesome RPUT mod for UT : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:16 Mad Max RW

Now you understand how the Fallout fans feel.

Fallout 1 isometric turn based combat
Fallout 2 isometric turn based combat
Fallout 3 first person shooter

7. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:06 Cutter

This is either intentional trolling for page views or the guy is an idiot. Either way, it's not worth rewarding them with views or discussion.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:03 Kajetan

NO! Diablo 3 should NOT have been first person. Because its called "Diablo 3".

That said, i dont have anything against a game like Dark Messiah, set in the Diablo universe. But only as an additional, supplemental game, like Renegade was only a shooter set in the C&C universe, but it was NOT Command & Conqer 3.

5. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:01 Bhruic

"I went to a restaurant the other day, and the served me steak. As a lover of hamburgers, the steak felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why the restaurant didn't make the leap to hamburgers like so many other restaurants."

Dumbass. And that's giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he wrote that idiocy to try and generate controversy - ie, page hits. If he actually believes that, then "dumbass" would be an overly nice description.

4. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:00 Verno

Trolling For Hits: The Game, now on Gamespy.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

3. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 10:52 space captain

dark messiah was pretty good, id be down with a sequel to that.. diablo is basically like an expanded version of guantlet - it might work as an fps, who knows

im not really into the series that much.. had my fill a few months after diablo 1 came out, its always been a really "casual" type of game IMO even though its supposedly so hardcore and all that, i dont see it - the gameplay is pretty shallow.. just clickclickclickclickclickrunrunrunclickclickclick

go ahead an flame all you want, its a well done game, just not my thing

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 10:47 Creston

Some sites will allow any mouthbreather to write a column it seems.

"HUURRR DUURRR, I NEVER PLAYD DIABLO BUT I LIKE TEH HALO HURRRR DIABLO SHULD BE FIRST PERSON DERP!"

Tard.

Creston

1. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 10:40 nin

As a lover of first person games, the isometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why Blizzard didn't make the leap to first person like so many other developers.

Stop him! Stop him now! Silence the heretic!

edit: And give me his fucking beta key!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo