Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameSpy - Should Diablo III have been first person?
I'll admit it. My first ever hands-on time with any Diablo game occurred just 24 hours ago, when my inexperienced Demon Hunter took his first fumbling steps into the Diablo III beta's dark and ominous dungeons. It took just three hours before I'd hacked and slashed my way to the main storyline's satisfying conclusion, but in that short period of time my eyes were opened to an entirely new perspective on a gaming world. As a lover of first person games, the isometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar, and I inevitably wondered why Blizzard didn't make the leap to first person like so many other developers. This led me to wonder - should Diablo III have been a first person game, and what are the pros and cons of this approach? Let's find out.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 15:21 Ruffiana

I agree that Diablo III should be a first person game.

I would also add that they could stand to tweak the art-style a bit, perhaps something more akin to what they're doing in Halo. Less swords and demons, more aliens and space-marines.

The controls could also be tweaked a bit to work better on the console in the new FPS viewpoint. Maybe tone down the whole class and skill tree elements and just focus on one main character.

And they should totally add some vehicles, maybe a bit of multiplayer game modes.

I like Halo a lot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 15:06 nin

DG wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 13:13:
qisometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar,

How do you get to be a gaming "journalist" yet have not used iso before?

This explains confirms a lot.

Wasn't there someone on here awhile back talking about how good gaming journalism is these days? And that just because they're young, doesn't mean they don't know the scene?

Oh yeah, here we go.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Sep 22, 2011, 13:46 Bhruic

Up monster HPs + nerf player stats = EXTRA DIFFICULTY!

I agree, they didn't really put that much thought into it - although I liked what they did with Act V.

My guess is he asked someone who has all the best runewords, etc, and gets char rushes than does Baal runs for levels - ie, basically not really playing the game at all. If you do nothing but that, sure, the game isn't really that hard.

26. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 13:30 beigemore

WinterMadness wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 12:24:
I tried to play Diablo once, but all the incessant clickity-click-click-clicking turned me off to this game altogether. They could at LEAST implement W-A-S-D movement to alleviate this problem. People who play these types of games (that have the same movement controls)must burn through a mouse per month.

Try holding the left mouse button down.

25. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 13:18 Red

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 10:47:
"HUURRR DUURRR, I NEVER PLAYD DIABLO BUT I LIKE TEH HALO HURRRR DIABLO SHULD BE FIRST PERSON DERP!"
Eloquently put.

It's this mindset that everything should be FPS that ruined my patient wait for a Fallout 3. Never played 3. Never will. FPS is not Fallout. Nor is it Diablo. I hate modern "gamers."

24. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 13:13 DG

qisometric camera system in Diablo III felt very unfamiliar,

How do you get to be a gaming "journalist" yet have not used iso before?

This explains confirms a lot.

23. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 13:08 Lobster

This is the kind of logic that gives us the X-COM FPS and the Syndicate FPS.

This is the third game of the franchise. No, it should not have been first person, because it's never been first person and the fact that that makes you scared and uncomfortable shouldn't lead Blizzard to abandon a system that works.

22. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 12:42 Creston

PHJF wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 12:37:
asdf Al;sdSDJ FLKJASGKLWE LGKERJALGKHJASLKFHSDJLKG JAGLFHGSJLFSHLSKAFJSDALKFJHAGLKJ HGELKWHGERAJGFKHALKJFDA!~@#$!@$!$JRKL FDG FLKGJ SDALHJSDA KSDJAFSD@#LK% QJ@%L!??!~?!!?@!?!@?!@!@?

Fuck, it appears when I bang my head against the keyboard like a fucking moron I don't end up with a stupid fucking op ed for Gamespy. Maybe I'll try again.

I dunno, man, I thought yours made much more sense than the Gamespy drivel.

Creston

21. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 12:39 beigemore

Is this guy freaking serious? What the hell... I don't even know what to say.  

20. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 12:37 PHJF

asdf Al;sdSDJ FLKJASGKLWE LGKERJALGKHJASLKFHSDJLKG JAGLFHGSJLFSHLSKAFJSDALKFJHAGLKJ HGELKWHGERAJGFKHALKJFDA!~@#$!@$!$JRKL FDG FLKGJ SDALHJSDA KSDJAFSD@#LK% QJ@%L!??!~?!!?@!?!@?!@!@?

Fuck, it appears when I bang my head against the keyboard like a fucking moron I don't end up with a stupid fucking op ed for Gamespy. Maybe I'll try again.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 12:24 WinterMadness

I tried to play Diablo once, but all the incessant clickity-click-click-clicking turned me off to this game altogether. They could at LEAST implement W-A-S-D movement to alleviate this problem. People who play these types of games (that have the same movement controls)must burn through a mouse per month.  

18. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Sep 22, 2011, 12:03 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:53:
Total BS. The ease of running around in Act I Normal compared to running around in Act V Hell is considerable. Especially if you aren't dealing with a fully twinked out character.

Yeah, the idea that Diablo never gets difficult is insane. Of course, it's the cheap variety of difficulty:

Up monster HPs + nerf player stats = EXTRA DIFFICULTY!

but Hell diff is seriously not for the faint of heart.

One thing I really missed in Diablo 2 was being able to access Hell diff even if you hadn't completed Nightmare diff. In Diablo 1 it was awesome to just go from normal to hell, be sweating your ass off because one hit would kill you, but at the same time getting totally obscene xp per skeleton kill. (something like 8K per skellie.)

Creston

17. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:58 Darks

gilly775 wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:54:
To the author of the article:

Not only no, but HELL NO!

Maybe not a first person game, but Blizzard needs to pull their heads out of their asses and get with the times. The Camera needs to be a full 360 degree rotatable camera. This locked down shit is for the birds. Blizzard continues to make mistakes like this the way they did with Star Craft 2. Make it look modern but god forbid we do anything outside the box and make it feel more modern.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2011, 11:54 gilly775

To the author of the article:

Not only no, but HELL NO!

15. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Sep 22, 2011, 11:53 Bhruic

I hope that isn't true. Perhaps I'm an aberration in that I never once played any of the Diablo's as multiplayer, only single player, but a three hour game?

The beta only has Act I in it. Not sure how many acts it'll have overall, but Diablo II had 4, with a 5th added in the expansion. Plus there are multiple difficulty levels, so you generally go back and re-do the content on a higher difficulty.

Which does bring up the following quote from the article:
He informed me that, based on his many hours with the first two games, Diablo never gets very difficult.

Total BS. The ease of running around in Act I Normal compared to running around in Act V Hell is considerable. Especially if you aren't dealing with a fully twinked out character.

14. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Sep 22, 2011, 11:48 nin

Alamar wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:31:
Watter wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:27:
It's interesting that everyone's commenting on the first/third person thing when what really caught my eye was:
It took just three hours before I'd hacked and slashed my way to the main storyline's satisfying conclusion
I hope that isn't true. Perhaps I'm an aberration in that I never once played any of the Diablo's as multiplayer, only single player, but a three hour game? I think I'd have to pass on that.

The DEMO is 3h...

-Alamar

Yeah, it's my understanding the beta is a small portion of the overall game. Think D2 was the same way.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Sep 22, 2011, 11:43 Shok

Blizzard already made a Diablo3 FPS. It's called World of Warcraft.  

12. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Sep 22, 2011, 11:31 Alamar

Watter wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:27:
It's interesting that everyone's commenting on the first/third person thing when what really caught my eye was:
It took just three hours before I'd hacked and slashed my way to the main storyline's satisfying conclusion
I hope that isn't true. Perhaps I'm an aberration in that I never once played any of the Diablo's as multiplayer, only single player, but a three hour game? I think I'd have to pass on that.

The DEMO is 3h...

-Alamar

11. Re: Game Reviews Sep 22, 2011, 11:30 CommunistHamster

A first person view is great for many things, but close combat is not one of them.  

10. matthew@welchkin.net Sep 22, 2011, 11:27 Watter

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo