Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3

Infinity Ward does not care at all how many people buy Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, the company's creative strategist Robert Bowling tells IGN, to the extent that he says: "we don't care if there are three people playing it or 30 million people playing it. If there are three people having a great time then we've done our job correctly and we will be happy." Of course if that's the case, this happiness will serve them well on the unemployment line, but the point he seems to be making is they are making the game they want to make: "We don't care about sales numbers, we don't care about competition, we don't care about beating anyone. Our 100 per cent focus is making a game that we're going to love to play, that we're going to be proud of, and that we know that our fans are going to play."

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 23, 2011, 08:09 SpectralMeat

Prez wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 22:21:
When I see a debate about Official reviews versus user reviews, it always kinda strikes me as same concept as debating a head-splitting migraine versus rancid atomic diarrhea. Both kinda suck.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 22:21 Prez

When I see a debate about Official reviews versus user reviews, it always kinda strikes me as same concept as debating a head-splitting migraine versus rancid atomic diarrhea. Both kinda suck.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

64. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 21:51 Ventura

If you want to attempt to convince people that a game is good, you might want to consider actually talking about the game itself, rather than relatively meaningless stats.

As those that would show up to take a dump on these games do?

Oh, I've tried that. I've defended Black Ops in these parts. For those that aren't into multiplayer, it doesn't just have the full campaign, and it doesn't just have the unique zombie mode, no, they also threw in full offline multiplayer with bots.

I don't know if MW3 is also going to have that, but that makes for one pretty packed disk in my book. Name the last time the purchase of an FPS netted you a feature list that extensive. Hell, just name one other time.

Couple that with the consistent number of sales, and if this is a bad argument, I'd hate to know what it would take to present a good argument.

Still, it beats no argument at all.

You don't think the 3.7 rating might just be slightly more relevant?

Having actually read some of those user reviews, you might wish that was a point you hadn't brought up. I took the liberty of browsing, just for you.

The first one I glanced on, he said the single player was ok, gave it 3/5. He liked the Spec Ops, gave that 5/5. Didn't like the multiplayer. Overral rating? 1/10. Huh?

The next one gave it 1/10, he said he downloaded the torrent and was disappointed with it.

Heh. And my argument is bad.

63. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 20:54 Prez

What I'd love to do is take a game, and ship it to 50% of the "press" under an assumed indie name, then ship it to the other 50% under a major label name. Then check the differences in the scores. I mean, you couldn't do that properly, thanks to the ability to communicate amongst themselves, but if you could, you'd almost certainly see that the major label version got much higher scores.

Spot on observation. A game with 'Call of Duty' or 'Halo' in the title is practically guaranteed a higher score. No one want s to be a "hater" as Cliffy Crybaby Blezinski put it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 15:39 Draugr

Ventura wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:57:

If what you're after is a romantic meal with a date, then yeah, it's probably not the best spot to be.

It's not the best spot to be because it's not quality, even though it's popular. You keep asserting popularity and quality are synonymous, and when someone gives you an example all you do in response is prove them right.

But what if you're on your way home, don't have much time, want to grab something to eat at home, don't want to spend a lot and would prefer to not have to get out of the car?
Completely different ballgame now, isn't it?

Being in a rush for food doesn't change the quality of the food.
So we agree that regardless of Mcdonald's popularity, its convenience (I would also include advertising, and locations on top of that, but it's not important) are the reasons people go to Mcdonalds, not quality. Thanks for elaborating upon the example of how your assertion is wrong.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2011, 15:48.

61. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 13:42 RamataKahn

PropheT wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 21:54:
They set out to make a great game that people want to play instead of just focusing on selling copies. That's...kind of what we want, right?

Except for the fact that they aren't doing that...

60. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 13:41 Bhruic

So what, there are no good games and no bad games, no good movies and no bad movies... because it's all subjective?

There are no objectively good/bad, well, anything. The entire concepts of "good" and "bad" are inherently subjective.

Does that mean they you can't get a group of people to agree that something is good or bad? Not at all. It just means that it's likely everyone won't agree. And while people can argue about whether or not something is or isn't good or bad, there's no way to prove themselves correct. That fact does not, of course, stop people from trying.

I mention average metacritic ratings and sales records

That's because you are making a bad argument. Neither metacritic ratings nor sales records speak to the quality of a game. Ratings are greatly skewed towards big name franchises of big name publishers. And sales records are skewed towards advertising budgets. If you want to attempt to convince people that a game is good, you might want to consider actually talking about the game itself, rather than relatively meaningless stats.

Ok, and now I just looked up the metacritic rating... Yeah, it got an 86 by reviewers, sure, and a 3.7 by actual players. You don't think the 3.7 rating might just be slightly more relevant?

59. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 13:05 Elessar

Ventura wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:57:
McDonalds is massively popular the world over, would you take a date there for romantic meal?

If what you're after is a romantic meal with a date, then yeah, it's probably not the best spot to be.

But what if you're on your way home, don't have much time, want to grab something to eat at home, don't want to spend a lot and would prefer to not have to get out of the car?

Right, which is why people are calling it a mindless game that sees Madden levels of repetitive content. That's what McD's is to the food world and that's what CoD is to gaming.

To repeat what others have said, just because something is popular, doesn't make it a quality product. It's a pretty basic concept.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

58. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 11:57 Ventura

A game like CoD is not going to get a low rating, regardless of the quality of the game. That's just a given

It's not the best example, but.. Duke Nukem did. For what I consider was a relatively high-profile release, an average metacritic rating of 54 is an absolutely horrendous score. I realise the Duke franchise isn't in the same league as CoD, but it's proof that bad games will get killed by reviewers.

There's not a rule that holds true for every occasion though, and I wasn't trying to claim that reviews couldn't be bought. My point though, is that with an average metacritic of 86, coupled with the number of sales, the thought occurs that Modern Warfare 2 might actually not be a bad game.

If you want to make objective statements about "shit" games, that's fine, but the objectivity you're suggesting doesn't really exist.

So what, there are no good games and no bad games, no good movies and no bad movies... because it's all subjective?

I don't know mate, that seems a bit too much of a cop-out to me.

I find it all quite funny, to be honest. People show up in CoD threads, make jokes about taking a shit in a box or Bobby Kotick, nobody says a word. I mention average metacritic ratings and sales records, and half a dozen folks get their backs up.

McDonalds is massively popular the world over, would you take a date there for romantic meal?

57. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 11:29 Creston

Uh-huh. And gold nuggets will fall out of the sky tomorrow too. Rolleyes

5 bucks says Bobby Cocktick has already hired someone to "take care" of Robert Bowling.

Creston

56. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 11:15 Omni

Omni wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 21:36:
lol really what a fucking idiot.

I don't get it. Why?

They set out to make a great game that people want to play instead of just focusing on selling copies. That's...kind of what we want, right?

I get the impression that there'd be a thread full of people saying how stupid this guy was no matter what he'd said here.

Great game, please explain?

And no I don't believe the PR bs he's saying and it makes no fucking sense he's saying it. Its pathetic.

Edit: PropheT do you work for IW or activision ?

55. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 10:45 Cutter

Ventura wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 09:27:
They can even shit in the box and put a CoD sticker on it people will buy it. Oh wait, they've already did that with Modern Warfare 2, nevermind.

Worked with the press too, because it has an average Metacritic rating of 86%.

Have it your way guys. Everyone else is wrong, you're right.

That's right. Again, how do you not understand that being in the majority doesn't make you right. McDonalds is massively popular the world over, would you take a date there for romantic meal? American Idol is massively popular, do you think that's what defines and qualifies as good music? Most tripe and outright utter shite is immensely popular because it's easy. It doesn't require that you be critical, discerning, or have good taste. Religion is popular and that doesn't make it right. Popular does not mean good or right.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

54. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 10:14 CVSiN

Same warmed over garbage with a new coat of paint is still warm garbage..
and yet the masses still are moronic and buy it..

if you played 1 you have played them all..
they havent innovated in years,

BF3 for me..

53. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 10:02 Bhruic

What I'd love to do is take a game, and ship it to 50% of the "press" under an assumed indie name, then ship it to the other 50% under a major label name. Then check the differences in the scores. I mean, you couldn't do that properly, thanks to the ability to communicate amongst themselves, but if you could, you'd almost certainly see that the major label version got much higher scores.

Publishers pay for scores. Directly? Probably not. But in the same way that politicians are lobbied, games reviewers are also lobbied. Even worse, most game publications have the majority of their revenue come directly from publishers. So how many are going to bite the hand that feeds them? A game like CoD is not going to get a low rating, regardless of the quality of the game. That's just a given.

You're arguing subjectivity, so you're not exactly in the position to take the moral high ground. A "shit" game to one person is another person's gem. If you want to make objective statements about "shit" games, that's fine, but the objectivity you're suggesting doesn't really exist.

52. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 09:38 SpectralMeat

Ventura wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 09:27:
Just like all other CoD games

51. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 09:29 Ledge

.. feel the heat.

50. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 09:27 Ventura

They can even shit in the box and put a CoD sticker on it people will buy it. Oh wait, they've already did that with Modern Warfare 2, nevermind.

49. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 08:55 SpectralMeat

Hump wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 08:35:

I don't get it. Why?

I get the impression that there'd be a thread full of people saying how stupid this guy was no matter what he'd said here.

I think someone mentioned it alreadt but, do you understand that making such a statement when you are working for a publicly held company is beyond moronic? I absolutely guarantee that upper management is doing damage control as we speak. Shareholders investing millions in the company don't want to hear that one of the game leads could give a shit about returns on investments.

I am pretty sure at this point, with the amount of fans this franchise has, and the amount of preorders in the books, they can say whatever they want people will still buy their game every year. They can even shit in the box and put a CoD sticker on it people will buy it. Oh wait, they've already did that with Modern Warfare 2, nevermind.

48. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 08:35 Hump

I don't get it. Why?

I think someone mentioned it alreadt but, do you understand that making such a statement when you are working for a publicly held company is beyond moronic? I absolutely guarantee that upper management is doing damage control as we speak. Shareholders investing millions in the company don't want to hear that one of the game leads could give a shit about returns on investments.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

47. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 07:52 Arithon

They had me at "IW Doesn't care..".

Really? I hadn't noticed! Oh, wait - sloppy console ports with sub-standard graphics, ADHD game play, the letters "XP" flying at you from every direction and no dedicated servers, yes - now I remember why I dropped the whole COD franchise, I don't care about them!

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo