Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy

“But at the same time, there’s a give back the other way too because everything we do in the game and the scope of the game has also been like, RAGE is the deepest game we’ve ever done. And part of that is that we want to make sure we’re not just appealing to a hardcore PC audience, but also to the console audience as well," says Todd Hollenshead in a video interview on RipTen. "So as much as the consoles may take away, I think they actually give back more in terms of what we’re able to do just to build out the game." Thanks PC Gamer.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 19:24 ^Drag0n^

Blue wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 19:22:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 19:11:
I'm pretty sure I remember John saying he no longer has the Ferraris.

He's a family man now: BMW X5 and a Tesla, if memory serves.

Ferraris are family cars: Wife in the passenger seat and room for the kids in the trunk glovebox.

FIFY

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 19:22  Blue 

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 19:11:

Ferraris are family cars: Wife in the passenger seat and room for the kids in the trunk.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

22. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 19:11 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 19:02:
DrEvil wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 14:21:
Beamer wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 09:43:
When you go 8 years without releasing a game or licensing your engine your Ferrari supply dwindles. Doesn't really effect Todd or Carmack, as they get cuts from licensing, but sure will hurt the pockets of everyone else.

Consider they're no longer doing engine licensing, I'm sure things are different now.

They weren't doing engine licensing much in those 8 years.
The licensing I meant was IP licensing.

^D^

21. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 19:07 ^Drag0n^

Draugr wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 18:44:
http://www.1up.com/news/rage-held-xbox-360-limits

"Willits released a statement to clarify his earlier statements. He did admit that instead of having five or six wasteland environments as originally planned, Rage will now only have two because of the Xbox 360's DVD limitations (one wasteland for each Xbox 360 disc). However, these two wastelands will now encompass all the content from the five or six that were originally planned. So no content has technically been "removed" from the game -- but the Xbox 360's storage limitations did cause ID to rethink Rage's entire story structure."

Maybe I'm the only one, but I reading that makes me think Timmy has been hanging out with the PR department too long.

It barely makes any sense; I mean how on earth does changing the story take away 4 discks of material, but no location content?

^D^

20. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 19:02 Beamer

DrEvil wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 14:21:
When you go 8 years without releasing a game or licensing your engine your Ferrari supply dwindles. Doesn't really effect Todd or Carmack, as they get cuts from licensing, but sure will hurt the pockets of everyone else.

Consider they're no longer doing engine licensing, I'm sure things are different now.

They weren't doing engine licensing much in those 8 years.
The licensing I meant was IP licensing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 18:44 Draugr

http://www.1up.com/news/rage-held-xbox-360-limits

"Willits released a statement to clarify his earlier statements. He did admit that instead of having five or six wasteland environments as originally planned, Rage will now only have two because of the Xbox 360's DVD limitations (one wasteland for each Xbox 360 disc). However, these two wastelands will now encompass all the content from the five or six that were originally planned. So no content has technically been "removed" from the game -- but the Xbox 360's storage limitations did cause ID to rethink Rage's entire story structure."

Yes, clearly this can only be seen as a benefit.

yeah, multiplatform titles CAN have bigger budgets, but to say "I think they actually give back more." I find to be disingenuous.

I think Crysis and Witcher 2 are great examples that prove the contrary when it comes to what you can get with PC exclusives. They didn't need to make it on the 360 or ps3 to exist, and they still delivered excellent experiences. Exclusives in general prove that quality isn't tied to how many platforms it's being put out for. Its not like a 360 exclusive doesn't have the same budget, depth and technology as a multiplatform release.

Just say you wanted a multiplatform game because it makes more money than an exclusive, and that to do that you need to make sacrifices PC gamers might not appreciate.

18. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 14:21 DrEvil

17. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 09:43 Beamer

"We miss the days when we all bought Ferraris after we released a game. We want to go back to that. On the consoles, you can shit in a box and sell 3 million copies, and we really like big fat sacks of cash."

The lack of Ferraris isn't due to platform choice, it's due to release schedule.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 09:00 Verno

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 06:44:
Cute. So he's honest and mentions one positive side of supporting the console and everyone on bluesnews starts chomping at the bit and making fun of him because they don't quite understand what he's saying.

Indeed we do need some /facepalm images.

Yeah it was totally EVERYONE ON BLUESNEWS! You really called that one champ.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

15. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 08:58 Lobster

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 06:44:
Cute. So he's honest and mentions one positive side of supporting the console and everyone on bluesnews starts chomping at the bit and making fun of him because they don't quite understand what he's saying.

Could you please explain what we're missing?

14. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 08:57 Lobster

Oh thank goodness, because really the console audience is so neglected these days, and if there's one thing PC gamers love to hear, it's that their game is being tailored to console gamers.  

13. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 08:35 lasersquad

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 21:38:
At least you'd be honest, and we could respect you for that.

This "The consoles add more than they take away" horseshit just makes you look like a tool.

Recently another Todd, the Howard one, had similar moment of madness saying something about how FO3 on 360 didn`t really push the console`s potential and how Skyrim...oh for crying out loud.

It`s hard as it is not to get annoyed by old-gen holding things back, relentless bleatings on how "all the versions look the same honestly guise!", and then they have to come out and spout this kind of rubbish.

That is a provocation of sorts

12. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 06:44 Fibrocyte

11. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 04:57 mag

Jerykk wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 02:41:
What a load of crap. Designing for a larger audience is inversely correlated to depth. The larger the audience, the lower the depth. And the game has definitely suffered from multiplatform development, as the low-res textures can attest to. Carmack has even publicly lamented that they didn't go with PC as the lead platform.

Wat? Citation needed. I've only seen Carmack complaining about PCs, lately. I think he just wants to make iPhone games for the next few years.

10. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 02:41 Jerykk

What a load of crap. Designing for a larger audience is inversely correlated to depth. The larger the audience, the lower the depth. And the game has definitely suffered from multiplatform development, as the low-res textures can attest to. Carmack has even publicly lamented that they didn't go with PC as the lead platform.  

9. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 00:17 Cutter

Yes, because that's what consoles are known for...deep games. That's exactly what console kids want...deep games. You know, I was more or less on the fence about this game but I'm totally off it now and I've firmly landed on the "against it" side. Thanks for warning me, Todd.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 20, 2011, 23:30 Frijoles

You can really get a sense of him on his knees in front of the consoles lately. I wonder if they used lube.

Hope it's good, nonetheless.

7. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 20, 2011, 22:44 Acleacius

Deep + id = lmao

/snicker

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 20, 2011, 22:15 PropheT

siapnar wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 21:43:
I see it as him referring to the budget allotted for RAGE. If it weren't for the booming number of console players, they wouldn't have nearly as much money to play with.

Then again, I could be wrong and indeed, his comment would warrant face palm fest

He is talking about the budget. It's an earlier part of the quote that can be seen in the video on the link.

5. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 20, 2011, 21:43 siapnar

I see it as him referring to the budget allotted for RAGE. If it weren't for the booming number of console players, they wouldn't have nearly as much money to play with.

Then again, I could be wrong and indeed, his comment would warrant face palm fest

I have projectile dysfunction.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo