Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Closed Beta Begins

The Diablo III Website announces that closed beta testing of Diablo III is now underway (thanks Nomaar and Nathan). Blizzard warns those eager to participate in testing the action/RPG sequel to be on guard against phishing attempts and to log in to Battle.net to see if they are invited. They also offer a beta opt-in announcement and FAQ to help sort through this. Here's word:

The fiery gates leading to the Burning Hells have begun to swing open, and the Diablo III beta test is officially underway. Invitations to participate in the beta test are now being delivered to the chosen heroes. As with beta tests for other Blizzard Entertainment games, the testing process for Diablo III will occur in phases. In addition to selecting players who have opted in via their Battle.net accounts, we’ll also be providing keys through beta promotions and giveaways -- stay tuned for more info. We welcome those invited to provide feedback or report bugs on the official forums.

If you have a beta license, you are free to show, share, or talk about any portion of the beta content to which you have access, as this beta test is not confidential.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 21:48 Creston

Make sure to be amazed at how there is absolutely NO LAG!

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 21:29 {PH}88fingers

What if diablo 3 was labeled a multiplayer game... with the ability to play solo if you wish... would that make it ok to buy the game?

If the game is fun and you have an internet connection, what's the problem.

Some people seem to want to make drama out of every single release. If you want to play a single player game while on the road, why does it have to be Diablo 3? Pick a game for the road and play d3 when you have internet. (who are we kidding, most people play video games while they are connected to the internet. for those that can't well stick to the games you can play) the whole boycott thing is hilarious in that it's so bad. The people who have internet will buy the game and those who don't won't.
It's that simple. Or you could just say you won't on principle like some of the people on these boards and then you are the one losing out. enjoy "insert game you want to prop up while dissing d3" token move

19. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 20:53 Prez

No, it really isn't.

It's just a video game.

Well, seeing as how we are discussing this on a games website, that's a pretty self evident concept. I'm sure people understand that in the big scheme of things, nothing we read or discuss on Blues is a "Big Deal". We do, however, discuss things as being important and significant in the context of gaming which, as unimportant to the universe though it may be, can be a "big deal" to us gamers nonetheless.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 20:45 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 20:43:
I'm trying to login to the website to check my account, but I just get a little black box pop up (normally has the login script in it) with no nothing in it. So I have no way of logging in...anyone else get this? Using Firefox. Have never had a problem with Blizzards websites before.

Had the same for a while. Presumably it's getting hammered since the announcement with people checking to make sure they've 'opted in'. Worked for me eventually, but it was a pain for a while.

17. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 20:43 Krovven

I'm trying to login to the website to check my account, but I just get a little black box pop up (normally has the login script in it) with no nothing in it. So I have no way of logging in...anyone else get this? Using Firefox. Have never had a problem with Blizzards websites before.

Update: problem persists, but I at least found a link to the login page that isnt a popup. Now it's just taking forever to load...oh the suspense!

No beta for me, yet.

I have all the WoW, Diablo and Starcraft releases registered on battle.net, have an authenticator...gimme D3 beta bitches!

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2011, 20:58.

16. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 20:11 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 19:59:
Contrary to what some people think, this is, in fact, a very big deal. When things go horribly wrong it always starts with these small steps that most people think is no big deal. Then before you know it you're neck deep in it. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a yard and more if they can.

No, it really isn't.

It's just a video game. If people don't like it, they won't play it. If people cared about this that much, they wouldn't buy it. We both know that the game is going to sell millions of copies regardless of this, and that's because it just plain doesn't matter that much to the tens of millions of people who have given up more information and a mandatory internet connection to play a certain MMO with the same company.

In any case, it's a pretty big difference between an always-on connection in Diablo 3 because they have features that use it (even for single player) and an always-on connection being required by UBISoft games with the sole purpose of DRM.

If you really hate the stuff that much, just don't buy it. The slippery slope conspiracy theory stuff is pretty out there, though, and kind of ridiculous.

15. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 20:05 Prez

Yeah there is, it's called having two completely separate game modes; offline SP and online MP, like D2 but without allowing characters to move from one or the other.

There is no valid reason for always on DRM in the singleplayer portion of the game other than to prevent piracy. Cries about preventing hacking are irrelevant because if you want a totally secure gameplay with strangers you'd play online on the Bnet servers. Otherwise you can play offline with trusted friends using whatever mods you want.

Post more often Razumen - you seem to have the ability to read my mind and post it accordingly. This will save me the trouble of posting things myself!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 19:59 Cutter

zincthallinide wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 19:25:
Still, for single players this always-connected system is a lot of extra nonsense for no real use.

Exactly. There is zero legitimate reason for it. This is all about tracking stats for marketing, etc. because this is Blizzard no more, it's Actiblizz, do not doubt. Everything they're doing across the board with all their IPs is all about the bottom line and gamers be damned.

I'd love to play this game, but I just can't there from here. It's just too slippery a slope. If you give them permission to treat you like a criminal here, where does it stop? What's next? letting them snoop you PC top to bottom? Monitor ALL your data traffic all of the time? Have to fork over your bank info? Medical history? Naked pictures of yourself? Contrary to what some people think, this is, in fact, a very big deal. When things go horribly wrong it always starts with these small steps that most people think is no big deal. Then before you know it you're neck deep in it. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a yard and more if they can.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 19:39 Razumen

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 19:20:
Unfortunately, there is no real counter argument which can be made in regards to their always on philosophy.

Yeah there is, it's called having two completely separate game modes; offline SP and online MP, like D2 but without allowing characters to move from one or the other.

There is no valid reason for always on DRM in the singleplayer portion of the game other than to prevent piracy. Cries about preventing hacking are irrelevant because if you want a totally secure gameplay with strangers you'd play online on the Bnet servers. Otherwise you can play offline with trusted friends using whatever mods you want.

12. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 19:34 Alamar

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 19:20:
For me, I simply don't understand the reasoning behind not wanting to purchase the title for requiring an online connection when 99% of the time I spent was through closed battle.net... /shrug

For me, I simply don't understand how you could not want to purchase it either...

As for the hundreds of thousands of people that didn't spend much (or any) time on closed battle.net, it might be different...

For me, with all their crap lately, it's gone from a must buy, to a most likely buy (I'm honest with myself... I can't claim I won't get it...).

-Alamar

11. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 19:25 zincthallinide

I enjoyed Diablo 2 as a single player romp through various monster infested whatevers. I have no plans on playing it multiplayer and I won't be microtransacting healing potions. So for me the always on 'no item duping' etc stuff is completely extraneous.

Admittedly I've never been super excited about D3 but I may have picked it up when it was on sale.. As it is now, I'm less inclined to do so due to the DRM-iest possible DRM possible, but admittedly it isn't a huge factor in my decision.. The vast majority of the time I play games at home with my always-reliable internet connection.

Still, for single players this always-connected system is a lot of extra nonsense for no real use.

10. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 19:20 Wallshadows

Unfortunately, there is no real counter argument which can be made in regards to their always on philosophy.

The primary reason is to stem item duping and hacking which practically destroyed the economy in Diablo 2 and is always a topic brought up when someone mentions the game. The desired effect is to store all the key data server-side in order to limit access to these files which were otherwise dumped all on the drive which were open not only for yourself to edit, but also to download from 'custom' sites which created an issue all in itself.

Factor in the real money auction house (which I think is stupid) and preventing item duping becomes that much more of a priority rather then rolling out rust storm years after the fact.

Is it perfect? Obviously it's not but from the way I see it, it's better to lose a small percent of players in order to secure a proper online experience than to cave in and potentially create flak when a bunch of their players unknowingly buy duped items which disappear when they log out.

For me, I simply don't understand the reasoning behind not wanting to purchase the title for requiring an online connection when 99% of the time I spent was through closed battle.net... /shrug

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

9. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 19:02 Prez

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 18:49:
The only way I'll ever play it is if Blizzard patches their shitty DRM out or a warez copy is released.

And you wonder why they have always-on DRM.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread - this is a beta announcement after all, but I will say this: had they not had it, I would have bought at least one copy, probably more for my friends. Now I will buy none. If and when a working warez version makes it out to the wild, you can be sure I'll pay for a copy (that never ever get's installed) so at least my own conscience will be clear.

- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 18:49 Fibrocyte

The only way I'll ever play it is if Blizzard patches their shitty DRM out or a warez copy is released.

And you wonder why they have always-on DRM.

7. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 18:47 Prez

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 18:40:
Prez wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 18:18:
So sad that they are using always-on DRM (And yes, that IS what it is, regardless of how they spin it...). My disappointment grows with the excitement before release. I so wanted this game.

So why the hell wouldn't you play it? Are you against DRM of all kinds?

This seems extreme and silly to me.

Umm... because it has always-on DRM. As in, no offline mode whatsoever. Sorry, I don't do that. The only way I'll ever play it is if Blizzard patches their shitty DRM out or a warez copy is released.

- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 18:40 Fibrocyte

So sad that they are using always-on DRM (And yes, that IS what it is, regardless of how they spin it...). My disappointment grows with the excitement before release. I so wanted this game.

So why the hell wouldn't you play it? Are you against DRM of all kinds?

This seems extreme and silly to me.

5. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 18:25 DrEvil

Totally agreed. Blizzard has lost their way.

From being one of the most generous (supporting multiplayer spawn installs) to the greediest.

4. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 18:18 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 18:14 Frijoles

For some reason, my wife always gets in to these betas but I don't. On the plus side, I know where she keeps her authenticator.  

2. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 20, 2011, 18:14 Highlander

DangerDog wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 18:11:
I have a few old games registered to my Battle.net account, none of which are Diablo.

I'd have a pretty good laugh if they let me into the beta. Zero hours spent playing Diablo games.

You'd be their target customer then. A new recruit.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo