Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Closed Beta Begins

The Diablo III Website announces that closed beta testing of Diablo III is now underway (thanks Nomaar and Nathan). Blizzard warns those eager to participate in testing the action/RPG sequel to be on guard against phishing attempts and to log in to Battle.net to see if they are invited. They also offer a beta opt-in announcement and FAQ to help sort through this. Here's word:

The fiery gates leading to the Burning Hells have begun to swing open, and the Diablo III beta test is officially underway. Invitations to participate in the beta test are now being delivered to the chosen heroes. As with beta tests for other Blizzard Entertainment games, the testing process for Diablo III will occur in phases. In addition to selecting players who have opted in via their Battle.net accounts, we’ll also be providing keys through beta promotions and giveaways -- stay tuned for more info. We welcome those invited to provide feedback or report bugs on the official forums.

If you have a beta license, you are free to show, share, or talk about any portion of the beta content to which you have access, as this beta test is not confidential.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Oct 1, 2011, 21:45 LaxerFL

Did they really remove skill points from Diablo 3? How could they do this? Character customization was the single greatest feature of D2 and its what keeps me playing D2 10 years later. Every time I roll a new toon, even if the class is the same, the build is different.
Now all Witch Doctors have the same skills at the same levels? The only thing that sets them apart is which skills they choose to put on the hot bar?
I don't understand why Blizzard would do this... I am so disappointed in this change all the excitement I had for Diablo 3 has just drained out of me... I don't even want to play it now

Fuck you Blizzard, you ruined my favorite series of all time. FUCKING FIX THIS SHIT YOU FUCKTARDS

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 22, 2011, 21:08 Mr. Tact

*delete me  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

59. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 22, 2011, 09:13 Verno

Got home late and had a CS clan match but played a bit more Monk before I went to sleep. I definitely prefer it to the Witch Doctor and you can kind of see a lot of skill similarities from the Paladin in it. Gameplay itself is still great, I forced AA on in my CP but it didn't seem to do anything so I guess its something with the renderer. It's fantastic so far, I can't wait to dig into it this weekend. I can see many sleepless nights ahead when this game comes out  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

58. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 22, 2011, 01:17 Razumen

Elessar wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 17:15:
Bhruic wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 22:35:
Oh, please. This is an commercial exchange. They provide people with a game, people pay them money for the game. The degree to which I "lose out" by not playing is exactly equal to the amount to which they "lose out" by not receiving my money. Pretending that they are losing nothing is disingenuous.
It's a matter of quantity. They'll still receive kajillions and you won't experience what will probably a decent if not good gaming experience, if you like this sort of thing. Trust me, you'll "notice" it more than Actiblizz if you don't buy/play. It's a drop in the ocean lost for them, it's hours for you. Sure there's other stuff to play, but relatively speaking you're getting the short end of the stick on this one if you wanted to play.

Actually, if gamers stuck to their guns and didn't buy the game until their concerns were addressed, then I'm pretty sure it's Activision and Blizzard that will be hurting FAR more.

But then I guess sacrificing short term pleasure for greater long term rewards is a strategy lost on most of today's impatient gamers.

57. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 22, 2011, 00:35 Bhruic

Since a bunch of my favourite Starcraft II casters have posted videos on the Diablo III beta, some facts (which could be spoilers, so don't read further if you don't want details):

There's no apparent level cap in the beta, but it's limited to Act I only - up until you kill the Skeleton King. You can repeat all the quests leading up to that point and continue to level up, but it's a case of diminishing returns.

There's only one artifact quality item in the beta (supposedly), but there are already quite a few of them on the AH (I only saw the "for gold" version in the beta).

All 5 of the characters are playable.

Some good youtube videos (well, channels) to check:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AhnarisStarcraft
Has an indepth walkthrough of Act 1, as well as details on the Demon Hunter class.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft
Has a full playthrough of Act 1 in a multiplayer setting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/day9tv
Has an indepth look at the Witchdoctor, as well as lots of gameplay

56. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 22:06 Dades

When are they sending out more invites?  

55. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 20:16 Dev

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 15:31:
I'll probably livestream on justin.tv after work, youtube's limits are a pain in the butt.
Well, link to your justin.tv livestream channel then plz

54. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 17:15 Elessar

Bhruic wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 22:35:
Oh, please. This is an commercial exchange. They provide people with a game, people pay them money for the game. The degree to which I "lose out" by not playing is exactly equal to the amount to which they "lose out" by not receiving my money. Pretending that they are losing nothing is disingenuous.
It's a matter of quantity. They'll still receive kajillions and you won't experience what will probably a decent if not good gaming experience, if you like this sort of thing. Trust me, you'll "notice" it more than Actiblizz if you don't buy/play. It's a drop in the ocean lost for them, it's hours for you. Sure there's other stuff to play, but relatively speaking you're getting the short end of the stick on this one if you wanted to play.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

53. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 15:31 Verno

Whats your youtube channel?

I'll probably livestream on justin.tv after work, youtube's limits are a pain in the butt.

Pretty sure thats not correct. Wasn't the DotA thing a mod? And I remember a bunch of patches notes for starcraft and warcraft 3 that talked about triggers and things for modding. Also, the WoW interface, blizzard actually encourages modding of that. In fact there's books written about modding the WoW GUI. I came across one in the bookstore just a couple weeks ago (I haven't done WoW since the closed beta before the original game came out, but the book caught my eye for a moment)

World Editor in some ways was fairly advanced in terms of map editors but it's a far cry from a full blown SDK.

52. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 15:23 Xirgu

Am curious about something..
once microtransactions become established, the immaterial items will become part of the real world economy.. I wonder how far this goes..as in, because you exchange real money for your fictional items, someone makes money so that someone has to pay income tax over items bought and sold in games, and because real money changes hands, stealing becomes real theft, doesnt it? can you call the police if someone steals your " holy suit of armor +10 dex" **you paid u$150 for?** can someone be fined/go to a real jail over actions taken by a fictional character? isnt blizzard essentially printing money by deciding on item drops? isnt this a form of gambling & therefore illegal in some places?
Strange world...

51. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 15:13 Dev

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 09:39:
I'll post some stuff on Youtube later, there's no NDA or anything. It won't be disappointing fans of Diablo 2 though, I'll put it that way
Whats your youtube channel?

Teddy wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 23:37:
Nor have they allowed mods, save for new maps in the *craft games.
Pretty sure thats not correct. Wasn't the DotA thing a mod? And I remember a bunch of patches notes for starcraft and warcraft 3 that talked about triggers and things for modding. Also, the WoW interface, blizzard actually encourages modding of that. In fact there's books written about modding the WoW GUI. I came across one in the bookstore just a couple weeks ago (I haven't done WoW since the closed beta before the original game came out, but the book caught my eye for a moment).

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2011, 15:20.

50. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 15:08 Nomaar

If they had taken the single-player component out of the game, slapped a MMORPG tag on it and charged a $15 per month subscription fee, I think there would have been less complaints than they're getting about the "always-online" requirement, which is very ironic. I don't have a problem with it. Online play has always driven the popularity of the Diablo games, and hacking and duping has always been the bane of its existence, so this comes as no shock. It's essentially saying that Diablo is an MMORPG without coming out and saying it and, more importantly, without the monthly charge. Though I still suspect they will sneak revenue-generating features through the back door, in the form of DLC. Diablo pets anyone?  

49. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 14:00 Verno

Anyhow... Complaints on Blues News will rarely (but not never - lots of old timer game devs visit) have an effect, but if you really want your complaints to have an impact, put them in the right place... Companies (and Blizzard specifically) have changed policy when there is enough public outcry... But whimpering in a forum 'over there' won't amount to much ; )

Bitching everywhere spreads the word if nothing else. It's way too easy for Blizzard to ignore a single source of displeasure for example, they even alluded to the "vocal forum minority" many times in the past but it's a lot harder when its present at the same types of sites they like to read in their spare time.

There is this faux belief that complaining never changes anything but it's shown to be the opposite time and time again. I think it's just more as a "you dont agree with my opinion so shut up" tactic.

Anyways played a bit at lunch, beta has no FSAA which is a bit disappointing (full game will have it supposedly) but the graphics look pretty good. The Monk and Witch Doctor are the only classes I've tried so far but both are a riot. Also getting frequent errors about not having a license but I guess that's some bugs to work out. The first wave was very small (when I checked last night there was only like 75 people online) and another will be going out this week so I imagine that will be a lot bigger.

48. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 13:48 Alamar

Verno wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 10:21:
I agree, can someone enlighten me, please, why people have a mindset to run away from DRM, as it is an actual Ebola Virus? After 15 years of this DRM talk, I still don't understand, am I the only one missing something?

Most DRM has only negative connotations for legitimate buyers and rarely affects pirates. Case in point, there is already a basic server emulator for the Diablo III beta, something that previous DRM defenders claimed would take months if not years. A friend of mine loaded it up and says it's quite rough but they literally cobbled it together in 2 days, it will only improve from here. In this case the DRM is basically an attempt to stave off piracy (DRM doesn't really work at this) and to secure their multiplayer item sale AH stuff.

To add to this... DRM is no different than any other inconvenience in life... If YOU PERSONALLY have not been fucked over by DRM (aka copy protection), then why would you care? It helps keep the game legit, and improves your experience...

For those that it will affect, it's annoying... And us gamers are obsessive creatures... When I get Diablo III (or any other new release), I usually play it hardcore; I eat, sleep, dream, etc the game, so no, I don't want to have to load up some crappy 'old' game (like Deus Ex - the old busted in this example), because I happened to have lost my connection for 5m, 15m, 1h-48h (whatever), and want to play the new hotness...

Anyhow... Complaints on Blues News will rarely (but not never - lots of old timer game devs visit) have an effect, but if you really want your complaints to have an impact, put them in the right place... Companies (and Blizzard specifically) have changed policy when there is enough public outcry... But whimpering in a forum 'over there' won't amount to much ; )

-Alamar

47. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 10:21 Verno

I agree, can someone enlighten me, please, why people have a mindset to run away from DRM, as it is an actual Ebola Virus? After 15 years of this DRM talk, I still don't understand, am I the only one missing something?

Most DRM has only negative connotations for legitimate buyers and rarely affects pirates. Case in point, there is already a basic server emulator for the Diablo III beta, something that previous DRM defenders claimed would take months if not years. A friend of mine loaded it up and says it's quite rough but they literally cobbled it together in 2 days, it will only improve from here. In this case the DRM is basically an attempt to stave off piracy (DRM doesn't really work at this) and to secure their multiplayer item sale AH stuff.

46. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 10:16 Acleacius

Apparently, if you don't understand it after all this time.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

45. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 10:04 Optional nickname

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 18:40:
Prez wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 18:18:
So sad that they are using always-on DRM (And yes, that IS what it is, regardless of how they spin it...). My disappointment grows with the excitement before release. I so wanted this game.

So why the hell wouldn't you play it? Are you against DRM of all kinds?

This seems extreme and silly to me.

I can wait to play D3, I've already waited 11 years.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2011, 10:11.

44. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 09:39 Verno

InBlack wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 09:27:
Wow you got in the beta Verno? Nice...how's it look? I gather there is a level cap and you cant play past a certain point?

I only played a Monk for about 10 minutes before I went to bed last night, didn't check my email until late. I'll post some stuff on Youtube later, there's no NDA or anything. It won't be disappointing fans of Diablo 2 though, I'll put it that way

43. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 09:27 InBlack

Wow you got in the beta Verno? Nice...how's it look? I gather there is a level cap and you cant play past a certain point?  

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: Diablo III Closed Beta Begins Sep 21, 2011, 09:26 Mr. Tact

I think it's stupid for a single player game to require an on-line connection. I played plenty of D2, but never on battle.net. Only played LAN games and by myself on my computer.

My complaint isn't the DRM, my complaint is there's no valid reason to require a continuous connection for a single player game. I don't want my game play interrupted by their ISP, my ISP, their servers, or any other silly thing. I fail to see why the D2 setup can't continue to work on D3. Their argument of people being confused when they couldn't move their single player character to battle.net doesn't hold water.

That said, comparing the requirement of an on-line connection to an attack on freedom or some type of step towards fascism is either cinematic hyperbole or crazy talk.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo