Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game of Thrones RPG "Won't Be Along for a While"

Not A Blog, the journal of author George R. R. Martin, mentions the unannounced Game of Thrones RPG that's known to be in development at Cyanide in addition to Game of Thrones: Genesis, their upcoming RTS game based on the A Song of Ice and Fire books (thanks Gamer's Hell). It's just a passing mention, but it does make it clear the game is a ways off:

(Just to be clear. This is the RTS game, designed and developed by Cyanide's studio in Montreal. A second videogame, an RPG, is also under development at Cyanide's studio in France, but that one won't be along for a while yet. The two games are very different, so please don't get them confused).

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 21:47 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 16:38:
Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes of Amber = best series ever. THat man died way too soon. I so miss his writing.

The Amber series was alright, I enjoyed reading it, but best ever... seems a tad generous.

It's not fantasy, but Peter F Hamilton is the fucking PIMP when it comes to writing.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 21:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

Teddy wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 16:16:
The problem with the Malazan series is that it does the exact thing that Martin refuses to do. It jumps directly on top of all the stereo-typical fantasy gimmicks and repeats them over and over and over. Every book has a new MORE POWERFUL enemy that needs to be faced, and even when they get to the point of killing off gods, there's still MORE POWERFUL things that suddenly appear that they need to deal with.

Add to that, when characters do die, it's often in irrelevant fashions that have very little to do with the actual conflicts they're in.

It's decently written, but the characters have nowhere near the level of depth of those of SOIAF, and frankly I find it often facepalmingly frustrating to read thanks to the ever escalating levels of power of everything.

Well, you are right about that. There is definitely some serious power inflation going on, and I am about 90% through book 6. Still, I am enjoying the series, and I can avoid the most annoying part of Song of Ice and Fire, the 5+ year wait between novels. I assume part of the geometric increase in the Malazan series is due to the fact that Erikson wrote the first novel, then somewhat foolishly signed a deal for 9 more with his publisher. There is definitely some padding going on throughout the series.

18. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 19:48 Draugr

Alamar wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 16:56:
My vote is for Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series...

Think it clocked in at 10 books, maybe 11... I need to re-read it...

Anyhow, my personal fav... : )

-Alamar

Sword of truth series is Ayn Rand with swords, but its like Ayn Rand was an even worse writer, the analogy doesn't fit, and is loaded with hypocrisy (speaking of a hypocrisy, here is a fun fact, when Ayn Rand wrote Atlas Shrugged, she was on welfare!)
The series started strong, but ideological shoehorning aside, it was still entertaining. After the first couple of books it seems to just crumble on all levels.
The conclusion to this series alone, is so laughably stupid it boggles the mind.

17. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 18:39 Tehol

Alamar wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 16:56:

-Alamar

i hope you are joking, if not hmn...i knew someday i would meet goodkind fan.
hey Alamar, what do you call "chicken that is not a chicken?"

16. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 17:40 ldonyo

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 15:36:
ldonyo wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 15:12:
grudgebearer wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 13:33:
Right in the middle of Storm of Swords...and you are correct...it is amazing...
You need to go right into A Dance With Dragons or you'll end up a jaded and cynical wretch, like Creston.

I quite enjoyed the first two books, but you can only take character stupidity for the sake of furthering your plot so far before it just becomes retarded.

George RR Martin crossed that line and kept on running a few more miles at the end of Storm of Swords. It completely ruined the whole series for me.

If the old croaker ever finishes it, I'll read the whole thing only if (spoilers) Danearys (?) and her Dragons murder every living thing on that entire inbred continent.

Creston
While I agree that there have been an awful lot of incredibly bad/fatal decisions made by major characters and an awful lot of quite contrived character removals, I'm not quite as demanding in the ultimate resolution as you are. There are going to be seven books, which means George has roughly 2000 pages to wrap up quite a few story threads.

15. Re: Game of Thrones RPG "Won't Be Along for a While" Sep 20, 2011, 17:20 entr0py

There are a couple of early screen shots on the developer's website. Looks early. Honestly, I'm not going to get excited about either of these games unless they get good reviews. Blood Bowl was passable as a low budget game, but it isn't much of a track record.

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/games/agot/

14. Re: Game of Thrones RPG "Won't Be Along for a While" Sep 20, 2011, 16:56 Alamar

-Alamar

13. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 16:38 Cutter

Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes of Amber = best series ever. THat man died way too soon. I so miss his writing.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 16:16 Teddy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 14:45:
Song of Ice and Fire went downhill in quality, imo, with the last book. Plus, I am getting the feeling George RR Martin is going to pull a Robert Jordan, and probably not live to finish the series.

I do recommend Steven Erikson's Malazan series, which is arguably as well written or better, and as a bonus, it is actually finished.

It is pretty lengthy though, 10 extremely large novels(approximately 1000 pages each).

The problem with the Malazan series is that it does the exact thing that Martin refuses to do. It jumps directly on top of all the stereo-typical fantasy gimmicks and repeats them over and over and over. Every book has a new MORE POWERFUL enemy that needs to be faced, and even when they get to the point of killing off gods, there's still MORE POWERFUL things that suddenly appear that they need to deal with.

Add to that, when characters do die, it's often in irrelevant fashions that have very little to do with the actual conflicts they're in.

It's decently written, but the characters have nowhere near the level of depth of those of SOIAF, and frankly I find it often facepalmingly frustrating to read thanks to the ever escalating levels of power of everything.

11. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 15:36 Creston

ldonyo wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 15:12:
You need to go right into A Dance With Dragons or you'll end up a jaded and cynical wretch, like Creston.

I quite enjoyed the first two books, but you can only take character stupidity for the sake of furthering your plot so far before it just becomes retarded.

George RR Martin crossed that line and kept on running a few more miles at the end of Storm of Swords. It completely ruined the whole series for me.

If the old croaker ever finishes it, I'll read the whole thing only if (spoilers) Danearys (?) and her Dragons murder every living thing on that entire inbred continent.

Creston

10. removed Sep 20, 2011, 15:24 venomhed

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 20, 2011, 15:37.

9. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 15:12 ldonyo

8. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 14:51  Blue 

Illumin wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 12:48:
Wait, 2 games with the same name, made by 2 studios with the same name just different locations... The worlds PACKED FULL of intelligent people there is no way these two games of the same name made by company's of the same name will ever get confused!

Well, the companies have the same name because it's actually one company. And the games don't necessarily have the same title, the imminent RTS game is called Game of Thrones: Genesis, and the RPG doesn't have a title, because it hasn't been officially announced yet.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2011, 14:59.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 14:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Song of Ice and Fire went downhill in quality, imo, with the last book. Plus, I am getting the feeling George RR Martin is going to pull a Robert Jordan, and probably not live to finish the series.

I do recommend Steven Erikson's Malazan series, which is arguably as well written or better, and as a bonus, it is actually finished.

It is pretty lengthy though, 10 extremely large novels(approximately 1000 pages each).

6. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 14:10 Creston

Yeah, just wait till you get to the end. That sense of it being amazing will vanish rather rapidly.

As for the RPG, I see it adheres to the true and tried George R R Martin release schedule: when it's done when the cows come home when hell freezes over when the old fart finally feels like doing some actual work as opposed to congratulating himself at yet another convention.

Creston

5. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 13:52 Fibrocyte

I'm on A Dance with Dragons (book 5) and love every page of this series. This guy is just a top notch fiction author.

Regarding the books being "too big" - I disagree. It will be a sad day when the tale finally comes to an end.

4. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 13:33 grudgebearer

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

3. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 12:48 Illumin

Wait, 2 games with the same name, made by 2 studios with the same name just different locations... The worlds PACKED FULL of intelligent people there is no way these two games of the same name made by company's of the same name will ever get confused!

P.S The books are outstanding! The first two are great but Storm of Swords is just mind blowing! Im on the Feast of Crows now only about 200 pages into it though.

2. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 12:06 Techie714

My friend just finished reading all the books, man I like to read but those books are just WAY to large. Each one is like an unabridged copy of War & Peace...lol.

I'm just about finished with "The Hunger Games" Then it's back to finishing "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo".

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Game of Thrones RPG "Won't Be Along for a While" Sep 20, 2011, 11:56 Cutter

So wake us in 3 years then.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo