Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel

THQ announces a Homefront sequel, saying development of the first-person shooter follow-up is being handled by German developer Crytek following their closure of Homefront developer KAOS Studios. Presumably the game will be powered by Crytek's CryENGINE, as the announcement references "Crytek's industry leading technology." The game does not yet have an official title or a set release date. "Selecting Crytek to take Homefront forward underscores our strategy of working with the industry's best talent," said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games, THQ. "Homefront's unique setting and storyline captivated gamers the world over. With Crytek's industry leading technology and legendary experience in the FPS genre, we're supremely confident that the next Homefront will deliver that AAA-quality experience that players demand."

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 12:50 lasersquad

I think aliens are actually more likely to invade good ol` US of A than North Koreans, but that`s just me.

Shame, I hoped Crytek was destined for bigger things than milking some rental-at-best franchises... They just could have licensed the engine to KAOS like with the abovementioned Sniper...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 12:14 Beamer

Lobster wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:49:
So instead of funding an original idea they give a sequel to Red Dawn: The Game, which nobody really liked.

OK, whatever.
The game was aggressively mediocre but sold extremely well.
The thought, then, is that the idea resonated with people but the gameplay did not. So why not give the idea to a company that has been better proven?

In any case I'd assume this is the third string Crytek team. Crysis was always pitched as a trilogy, I think, so the primary team is working on that. The secondary team is doing TimeSplitters 8 or whatever. This sounds like a new team, one that's being given a proven IP to learn on, which I'd guess is a sign of inexperience. Since they have more experienced people around them they can be trusted to take something established and do a good job, but until they're more experienced no one necessarily wants to cut them loose on their own.

Just a guess.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 12:00 Dr. D. Schreber

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:48:
On an odd aside, the writer of the game was also the writer of "Red Dawn" (as I'm sure most know). The weird part is a "remake" of that film is due sometime in the next year from MGM that replaces the Russians with North Koreans. Strange coincidence.

^D^

The enemy was originally going to be China, but the movie ran out of money and is being finished on a loan from China, so it's being changed to North Korea in post-production.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

15. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:58 Cutter

Lobster wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:49:
So instead of funding an original idea they give a sequel to Red Dawn: The Game, which nobody really liked.

OK, whatever.

Exactly. What we were all just saying about the cancelled Avengers game that actully looked like it had real potential versus them trying to force shitty IPs down our throat like this, Kand & Lynch, etc. that no one wants. Yeah, I'm sure this game won't suck too much. Pfft.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:49 Lobster

OK, whatever.

13. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:48 ^Drag0n^

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:11:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:07:
I guess I'm confused... KAOS makes Homefront, Homefront is released, KOAS is closed, but Homefront made enough money to bankroll a sequal within 6 months of release?

Kaos was New York based, it is incredibly expensive to put up a studio in many parts of the US in general but New York more than most. Like many things it is cheaper to outsource to foreign corporations both from a wage and tax outlook.

I don't think Crytek can do any worse with the IP so whatever I guess, let's just hope they don't add jungles and aliens to it for no reason. I didn't really care for the first game anyway.

I actually liked the concept of the game, it just had a few key things wrong with it, namely it's length and the fact that it had a tighter set of rails than any Call of Duty game ever made (a hard feat to achieve, you'd think).

I'd like to be optimistic about Crytek taking it over, but Crysis 2 was no Crysis 1 in terms of player freedom, and I really think that is what Homefront lacked. Even when I was hiding in the pit full of dead bodies, I didn't feel that the game made me have any emotional connection to the events. It was as if they considered it enough to simply say, "hey! They killed a bunch of nameless Americans you don't know! Aren't you angry?!?!?"

I guess what I'm driving at is that the lack of freedom to interact with the NPCs and their environment left the single-player game feeling bland, unemotional, and at times even frustrating. It's too bad, as I really wanted to like Homefront.

On an odd aside, the writer of the game was also the writer of "Red Dawn" (as I'm sure most know). The weird part is a "remake" of that film is due sometime in the next year from MGM that replaces the Russians with North Koreans. Strange coincidence.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

12. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:48 Respen

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:25:

Massive did a pretty awesome job with World in Conflict despite being Swedish. Patriotism and general human behavior have a lot of common undercurrents no matter where you're from. I would also argue that competence and creativity go a longer ways to making an authentic product than being a native.

Anyway, I enjoyed Homefront except for the shorter-than-COD length campaign. Crysis 2 was the longest FPS I've played in awhile, I'll be happy if they pick up where KAOS left off and make a longer campaign with larger areas.

The game itself here has a patriotic theme, the fact that it's based in the US and it's titled "Homefront" say's it pretty clearly. They flash all kinds of American propaganda and really try to hit home that this is happening on US soil. Competence isn't even a huge issue for me, I respect Crytek to a degree... though I do feel a US studio might possibly do a better job of portraying the US; If they aren't skilled though it's a waste of everyone's time.. I understand that.

To me this is just feels like buying a 4th of july Americana T-shirt... looking at the tag and seeing that it's made in Indonesia. (as 90% of them are!). This is more than just a subtle undercurrent to me. I get that it happens, I just don't like the idea of outsourcing national pride along with everything else. If it's good... I may buy it, don't get me wrong, but I don't like this decision for this game. Now if they decide to base it in Germany, my whole point is moot

11. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:38 SpectralMeat

I thought making a sequel to Sniper Ghost Warrior was a bad idea Rolleyes2

Funny enough Sniper 2 will also use Crysis game engine

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:27 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:11:
let's just hope they don't add jungles and aliens to it for no reason.

Oh, they will add aliens. That's a given. Didn't you hear the whinebot 3000 Cevat Yerli say that he will never give up on aliens, despite the fact that basically every player says they suck in every game they've made, because HE thinks they're awesome?

Creston

9. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:26 Wildone

AhaHAHAHAHAhahAHahhahahAHAhaA  

8. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:25 Dr. D. Schreber

Really? Something seems wrong about outsourcing a game that deals with war on our own soil, called "Homefront" to Germany... or any other foreign nation for that matter. It somehow loses some of it's patriotic appeal to me.

Why not I guess, we outsource everything else.

Massive did a pretty awesome job with World in Conflict despite being Swedish. Patriotism and general human behavior have a lot of common undercurrents no matter where you're from. I would also argue that competence and creativity go a longer ways to making an authentic product than being a native.

Anyway, I enjoyed Homefront except for the shorter-than-COD length campaign. Crysis 2 was the longest FPS I've played in awhile, I'll be happy if they pick up where KAOS left off and make a longer campaign with larger areas.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

7. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:21 Asteen

I hope they allow you to play the other side in the sequel  

6. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:11 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 11:07:
I guess I'm confused... KAOS makes Homefront, Homefront is released, KOAS is closed, but Homefront made enough money to bankroll a sequal within 6 months of release?

Kaos was New York based, it is incredibly expensive to put up a studio in many parts of the US in general but New York more than most. Like many things it is cheaper to outsource to foreign corporations both from a wage and tax outlook.

I don't think Crytek can do any worse with the IP so whatever I guess, let's just hope they don't add jungles and aliens to it for no reason. I didn't really care for the first game anyway.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

5. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:08 Respen

Really? Something seems wrong about outsourcing a game that deals with war on our own soil, called "Homefront" to Germany... or any other foreign nation for that matter. It somehow loses some of it's patriotic appeal to me.

Why not I guess, we outsource everything else.

4. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 11:07 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 10:44:
"Thanks for making a game that sold 3 million copies. You're now fired and we're giving YOUR game to another studio, which has its own succesful IP, to make a sequel."

How To Kick Someone In The Balls 101.

Creston

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 10:49 InBlack

They gave it to Crytek, which means the fans will be entitled to another free kick in the Balls as well..  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 10:44 Creston

"Thanks for making a game that sold 3 million copies. You're now fired and we're giving YOUR game to another studio, which has its own succesful IP, to make a sequel."

How To Kick Someone In The Balls 101.

Creston

1. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 10:28 xXBatmanXx

I really hope they pickup on the bridge where the game left off - there is a ton of space and possible story arcs after the bridge....I don't think all of the hate the game gets is valid, as I enjoyed the game and story, picking up all of the newspapers and reading them was part of the story and being involved in the game.

bla bla bla game is linear, bla bla bla. Yea, well ALL games are now. Maybe 1% are done correctly and give us choices - and this is not one of them, and they don't hide that.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo