Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel

THQ announces a Homefront sequel, saying development of the first-person shooter follow-up is being handled by German developer Crytek following their closure of Homefront developer KAOS Studios. Presumably the game will be powered by Crytek's CryENGINE, as the announcement references "Crytek's industry leading technology." The game does not yet have an official title or a set release date. "Selecting Crytek to take Homefront forward underscores our strategy of working with the industry's best talent," said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games, THQ. "Homefront's unique setting and storyline captivated gamers the world over. With Crytek's industry leading technology and legendary experience in the FPS genre, we're supremely confident that the next Homefront will deliver that AAA-quality experience that players demand."

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 21, 2011, 12:46 ^Drag0n^

I think you're right, Beamer. As I recall, this venture was handles unther the "EA Partners" program, which, if memory serves, was for just such arrangements.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 21, 2011, 09:54 Beamer

Well, obviously Valve has enough clout to resist EA's evil. They are an exception - most studios don't have as much money or status as Valve. Way more than Crytek I'd reckon.

Undoubtedly, but I think Crytek has enough.

Eddie is right in that Crytek spent a huge chunk of the Crysis money expanding, but it wasn't putting that money into the engine that hurt them, it was putting it into a billion other studios around the globe. They've had several for a while, but it's only recently that they staffed them with full teams rather than support teams.

Still, I'm pretty certain they self-funded Crysis and that they own the Crysis IP. EA published, not distributed, which means they put some money into it, but I don't think it was enough for ownership.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

36. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 21, 2011, 09:22 Verno

It's a failure by Crytek's metrics though That should have been 9 million, they totally got pirated 6 million times!  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

35. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 21, 2011, 01:29 ^Drag0n^

Umm....3M x $60 = $180M in sales.

That's hardly a failure by any definition of the word.

^D^

34. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 21, 2011, 01:01 EddieTheHack

Grifter wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 21:08:
What the heck are you talking about Crysis 2 sold more than 3 million units worldwide http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-26-crysis-2-racks-up-three-million-sales

My bad. I had number from 2 months after launch. Still, 3 million units is still less than what crysis did on one platform. The game failed.

33. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 21, 2011, 00:35 ^Drag0n^

[VG]Reagle wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 22:31:
Switching engines! What could possibly go wrong with that?

See also: Duke Nukem Forever

32. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 22:31 [VG]Reagle

Switching engines! What could possibly go wrong with that?  
As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

31. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 21:08 Grifter

EddieTheHack wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 17:33:
Crytek used the money from their early success with farcry to rapidly grow the company. Part of their business model is becoming a middleware provider similar to Epic. CE1 never did anything aside from being used as a base for Dunia - which Ubisoft owns fully. CE2 got exactly 1 third party license and that game did a bunch of nothing. Crytek did 2 in house titles using 2 teams: Warhead and Crysis - they sold decently enough but not well enough to float a studio that has grown to 5 branches through buyouts. Whatever cash they had they spent on growing the company. CE3 is getting used for their in house titles only and has not landed a single AAA studio license. Crysis 2 did not sell very well aside from initial shipments and was a financial disappointment given how much hype and resources went into it - not even a year later and the game is effectively dead. Crysis 2 sold 835K units on 360, 590K units on PS3 and 210K on PC. That's a grand total of 1.635 million units. Warhead alone almost did that just on the PC. Crytek can not be in a fiscally stable position. They spent scads of money buying out other developers and have spent scads of money trying to fix CE3 and get the industry to use it - and its all be for nothing. Now they are building games to order from a 3rd party? If they are not nearly broke they will be soon. EA does own crysis. Its theirs and they control it. The Yerli brothers are idiots when it comes to business. Crytek would rather buy studios than self finance future projects and remain independent and stable. They could not float the 30-50 million it takes to make a AAA game on their own because of idiotic management decision rooted in staggering arrogance on the part of the Yerli brothers. They could have done something amazing, but instead they have been reduced to turning tricks for second rate publishers.

What the heck are you talking about Crysis 2 sold more than 3 million units worldwide http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-26-crysis-2-racks-up-three-million-sales

30. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 19:16 theyarecomingforyou

I'd love to see Crytek make some inroads into the middleware territory, as the gaming industry is currently far too reliant on Epic. Saying that I thought Far Cry 2 had a far better engine (excellent performance, better feel, better vehicles, etc) and very designer friendly tools out-of-the-box, whereas performance with CryEngine is still distinctly lacking; Far Cry 3 is actually looking very good, as they've paid a lot of attention to animations - facial and body gestures. I'm surprised Valve hasn't pushed Source more but the only full games that have made it out have been glorified mods.

As for Homefront, I was never impressed with what I saw. It was hugely hyped and advertised, yet was slated in reviews and appears yet another generic COD-inspired UE3 game. Why they believe it warrants a sequel I have no idea, a risky move when even highly acclaimed games like Bioshock and Dragon's Age screwed things up with their sequels.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

29. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 18:43 Prez

This can be good or bad; we'll have to wait and see. But one certainy is that Yerli will whine about something.

Beamer wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 13:12:
Thats what happens when you jump in bed with EA

Yeah, look what happened when Valve did it!

Well, obviously Valve has enough clout to resist EA's evil. They are an exception - most studios don't have as much money or status as Valve. Way more than Crytek I'd reckon.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 17:33 EddieTheHack

Crytek used the money from their early success with farcry to rapidly grow the company. Part of their business model is becoming a middleware provider similar to Epic. CE1 never did anything aside from being used as a base for Dunia - which Ubisoft owns fully. CE2 got exactly 1 third party license and that game did a bunch of nothing. Crytek did 2 in house titles using 2 teams: Warhead and Crysis - they sold decently enough but not well enough to float a studio that has grown to 5 branches through buyouts. Whatever cash they had they spent on growing the company. CE3 is getting used for their in house titles only and has not landed a single AAA studio license. Crysis 2 did not sell very well aside from initial shipments and was a financial disappointment given how much hype and resources went into it - not even a year later and the game is effectively dead. Crysis 2 sold 835K units on 360, 590K units on PS3 and 210K on PC. That's a grand total of 1.635 million units. Warhead alone almost did that just on the PC. Crytek can not be in a fiscally stable position. They spent scads of money buying out other developers and have spent scads of money trying to fix CE3 and get the industry to use it - and its all be for nothing. Now they are building games to order from a 3rd party? If they are not nearly broke they will be soon. EA does own crysis. Its theirs and they control it. The Yerli brothers are idiots when it comes to business. Crytek would rather buy studios than self finance future projects and remain independent and stable. They could not float the 30-50 million it takes to make a AAA game on their own because of idiotic management decision rooted in staggering arrogance on the part of the Yerli brothers. They could have done something amazing, but instead they have been reduced to turning tricks for second rate publishers.  

27. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 17:04 DangerDog

I thought EA owned a major chunk of Crytek, guess they're still a free agent.  

26. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 16:04 eunichron

EddieTheHack wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 13:04:
I always thought homefront would have worked much better in a sandbox approach. About the time you wound up in that suburban rebel camp is the time the game should have taken the training wheels off and let you go. It was a very cool premise with poor execution. I doubt crytek is going to do anything worth while with the franchise and with crysis 2 being the benchmark game for their tech - your going to end up with a buggy pile of shit that no one plays after a month or two. Crytek grew too big much to fast and the quality has nosedived as a result. Thats what happens when you jump in bed with EA. THQ is no better as pub. They canceled the avengers and green lit this turd?

I thought so too, maybe something akin to Freedom Fighters with a recruitment system, but even more open in objectives and missions.

25. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 15:20 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 14:42:
I thought crysis 2 was a disappointment financially,

whinebot 3000 Cevat will always be disappointed. In his mind his next game will sell 800 million copies.

But they're an independent house, and EA & their ilk just do the publishing duties.

Creston

24. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 15:10 Beamer

EddieTheHack wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 14:36:
EA does some retail distribution for valve and that's about it. EA owns the crysis franchise like ubisoft owns the far cry franchise. Valve has all IP rights to their titles and final say over everything, crytek is the publishers bitch. EA controlled the Crysis 2 purse strings which is why a buggy pile of shit shipped instead of an actual game. Valve is hardly inbed with EA. Crytek on the other hand jumps on whatever dick comes through the door with cash.

Pretty sure EA just published Crysis and neither owns it nor "controls purse strings." By now Crytek is rich enough to not have to have anyone control their purse strings.

And if Crytek jumps on "whatever dick comes through the door with cash" (you've got a fine way with words, by the way) why is that the fault of the publisher? Pretty certain they self finance now, though.

-------------

23. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 14:42 Tumbler

I'm surprised crytek is who they picked. I thought crysis 2 was a disappointment financially, guess they were ok? But wasn't that EA? So is crytek funded by EA and THQ?  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

22. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 14:36 EddieTheHack

EA does some retail distribution for valve and that's about it. EA owns the crysis franchise like ubisoft owns the far cry franchise. Valve has all IP rights to their titles and final say over everything, crytek is the publishers bitch. EA controlled the Crysis 2 purse strings which is why a buggy pile of shit shipped instead of an actual game. Valve is hardly inbed with EA. Crytek on the other hand jumps on whatever dick comes through the door with cash.  

21. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 13:12 Beamer

Thats what happens when you jump in bed with EA

Yeah, look what happened when Valve did it!

And I still don't get the Avengers love. It looked like a mediocre console game. Only it was first person melee, which is even worse than most of the comic console games.

-------------

20. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 13:04 EddieTheHack

I always thought homefront would have worked much better in a sandbox approach. About the time you wound up in that suburban rebel camp is the time the game should have taken the training wheels off and let you go. It was a very cool premise with poor execution. I doubt crytek is going to do anything worth while with the franchise and with crysis 2 being the benchmark game for their tech - your going to end up with a buggy pile of shit that no one plays after a month or two. Crytek grew too big much to fast and the quality has nosedived as a result. Thats what happens when you jump in bed with EA. THQ is no better as pub. They canceled the avengers and green lit this turd?  

19. Re: Crytek Developing Homefront Sequel Sep 20, 2011, 13:01 Beamer

Wait, I guess it is the Time Splitters team working on this.  
-------------

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo