Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Beta This Month

As announced on the Battlefield Blog, the Battlefield Website announces open beta testing of Battlefield 3 will commence on September 29th, allowing early access to DICE's military shooter sequel for all three of its target platforms. There is a brief FAQ confirming that EA's Origin service will be required to acquire and play the Windows beta, and explaining how and when to qualify for early access, which commences on October 25th. They also offer system requirements, confirming reports that the game will not support Windows XP:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
PROCESSOR: 2 GHZ DUAL CORE (CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ OR ALTHON X2 2.7 GHZ)
MEMORY: 2 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD (AMD): DIRECTX 10.1 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 SERIES, WITH ATI RADEON 3870 OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
GRAPHICS CARD (NVIDIA): DIRECTX 10.0 COMPATIBLE WITH 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 SERIES WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER PERFORMANCE)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
PROCESSOR: QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY: 4 GB
HARD DRIVE: 20 GB
GRAPHICS CARD: DIRECTX 11 COMPATIBLE WITH 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 OR ATI RADEON 6950)
SOUND CARD: DIRECTX COMPATIBLE
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
DVD ROM DRIVE

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 22, 2011, 10:20 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 21:40:
But to install Windows you need a dvd drive ;p .. or well.. i guess you can do it with a bootable stick.. maybe? Is it possible, did anyone try?

That said.. i have ghosted my C partition so i don't need to install Windows ever again.. so yeah ;p

It's not only possible but twice as fast to do it from a USB drive. Space Captain linked the tool already, you basically just point it at the ISO and target drive, it makes a bootable "disk" for you. Just point your BIOS at it when you load up and you're set. Installing via USB is much easier and faster, you can also load it up to your hearts content with custom drivers and whatnot.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 22, 2011, 08:10 Ant

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 12:46:
Blue wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 10:31:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 10:24:
So the game won't run on XP or Direct X 9?

Isn't the xbox dx9?

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/117289/no-xp-battlefield-3

ah...thanks. I don't recall stuff from last month, let alone 9 months ago. This just makes it even easier for me to avoid the game. It isn't in the budget to get a new rig, paying for reception and everything else - gaming has gone to the back burner.

Looks like I will stick to indie gaming on the pc and rentals on the xbox.
Play BF3 on your console!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 22, 2011, 08:08 Ant

necrosis wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 13:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 10:24:
So the game won't run on XP or Direct X 9?

Isn't the xbox dx9?
I can't wait till games require x64.
Hmmph, I am still on 32-bit XP Pro. SP3. Oh well. That's OK. No time for gaming these days. Maybe this game will suck.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 22:39 space captain

its definitely possible - there is a specific tool to make the media

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

Go forth, and kill!

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 21:40 eRe4s3r

But to install Windows you need a dvd drive ;p .. or well.. i guess you can do it with a bootable stick.. maybe? Is it possible, did anyone try?

That said.. i have ghosted my C partition so i don't need to install Windows ever again.. so yeah ;p

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 21:21 theyarecomingforyou

space captain wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 20:15:
why is an optical drive required? [...] i came pretty close to just putting my win7 installer on a usb stick, shit would probably be faster anyways
Yeah, but Microsoft was pretty slow to warm to the idea of USB pen drives for media. Thankfully Win8 is changing that, to the point where you can even run it off a pen drive. Unfortunately outside of gaming there are still a lot of vendors that mandate disks for install and offer no downloadable version, as is the case for a lot of the music production software I use.

I haven't installed a game from a disk in years.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 20:46 Teddy

space captain wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 20:15:
why is an optical drive required? ive been building a new machine and grabbed a dvdrom before i thought about it but then i sat back and was wondering when the last time i actually used the one ive got in my old pc, with steam and netflix and hulu and torrents and all the shit thats online now - its almost not needed.. i came pretty close to just putting my win7 installer on a usb stick, shit would probably be faster anyways

Chances are it probably isn't, unless you buy the boxed version.

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 20:15 space captain

why is an optical drive required? ive been building a new machine and grabbed a dvdrom before i thought about it but then i sat back and was wondering when the last time i actually used the one ive got in my old pc, with steam and netflix and hulu and torrents and all the shit thats online now - its almost not needed.. i came pretty close to just putting my win7 installer on a usb stick, shit would probably be faster anyways  
Go forth, and kill!

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 18:46 eRe4s3r

Hahah

We are talking about DICE here though.. and i think the further away from them that the server browser is, the better. Battlelog likely got outsourced...

Why its not a stand-alone or integrated thingy is a mystery, but from Alpha feedback it seems to work fine

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 18:34 xXBatmanXx

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 16:38:
Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 15:45:
Though I have to say that being required to Alt-Tab out of the game to join a new MP game through your browser+plugin has to absolutely take the trophy for smoothness.
Are you being serious? It's not an in-game browser? I don't mind if you have to access an overlay like Steam - though none of the Valve games do it that way - but I find it hard to believe that the only way to change server is to alt-tab or quit out. Heck, I'd probably go as far as to say most people probably don't even know what Alt-Tab is or never use it, probably most gamers as well (afterall, most people aren't "hardcore").

I've always found it strange how multiplayer centric games can have such poorly featured / functional in-game browsers. To me Valve set the benchmark about a decade ago and nobody has stepped up. Afterall, I was using Gamespy &whateveritwascalled& ('Arcade', or was that they crapped later one?) back in the day until Counter-Strike / TFC appeared. And Valve set the bar with VAC for anti-cheat as well, as I have had a HUGE amount of problems with Punkbuster (Far Cry 2 wouldn't work out of the box because Punkbuster didn't support 64bit operating systems).

Anyway, enough of my Valve love... I'll go back to hating on them for not releasing HL2 Ep3 / HL3.

Al Seeing Eye was where it was at yo! Then everyone shut down the stream of the servers and you couldn't use it anymore. Such a bummer, was the best product on the market. Or did Gamespy buy them? I forget.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 18:25 theyarecomingforyou

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 17:46:
from what the Alpha people said its actually faster than any in-game browser, for one your server list is always "active" (unlike when you join a game in BC2, its deleted and you have to redownload it) secondly you can sort favorites easily, see who plays where easily and queue up for a full game and DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT in the browser, like watch a youtube vid ;p

You can coordinate with other people to join a server "group join" and the like, and lastly you can quickly load up a game without having to go through that whole "waiting to login.. select player.. waiting to login" crap that BC2 pulls.

Is it optimal? probably not..
Probably not? This isn't 1998. I mean, they're programmers right? They could just take Webkit, an open source rendering engine, and build it into the game - that way you wouldn't need to quit out each time. It would be EVEN QUICKER! You cannot legitimately argue that it is better to quit out of a game and use a web browser when changing servers.

How does stuff like this even get off the drawing board?

PROGRAMMER 1: I've got an idea. Why don't we make users quit out of the game to change server?
MR MANAGER: Genius! That's a promotion for you Jenkins.
PROGRAMMER 2: Can't we just use an in-game browser? It would be much quicker.
MR MANAGER: Marcus, you moron! You're fired. Pack up your belongings.
PROGRAMMER 2:
PROGRAMMER 1: *dribbles on the desk*
MR MANAGER 1: That's good thinking Jenkins! Quick everybody, dribble on the table.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 17:46 eRe4s3r

from what the Alpha people said its actually faster than any in-game browser, for one your server list is always "active" (unlike when you join a game in BC2, its deleted and you have to redownload it) secondly you can sort favorites easily, see who plays where easily and queue up for a full game and DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT in the browser, like watch a youtube vid ;p

You can coordinate with other people to join a server "group join" and the like, and lastly you can quickly load up a game without having to go through that whole "waiting to login.. select player.. waiting to login" crap that BC2 pulls.

Is it optimal? probably not.. but it seems to work very well. Maybe in the next game they implement that fully in the game.. but for now its what it is..

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 17:13 entr0py

hey,that isn't the edit button...  

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 17:09 DangerDog

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 14:52:
And don't even get me started on Origin. It downloads an installer rather than the game files, which is needlessly time consuming and requires additional hard-disk space (not that it's expensive). But it only downloads the base game, so you need to install patches separately. And EA games still require the EA Download Manager, as they haven't integrated the functionality. I mean, it's like we back to 1998 all over again! There's a reason Steam dominates digital distribution and a large part of that is elimination of tedious installers and manual patches.

Boy, it's SO unbelievable how people could have something against shitty Digital River Storefront #328 Origin! Rolleyes

Though I have to say that being required to Alt-Tab out of the game to join a new MP game through your browser+plugin has to absolutely take the trophy for smoothness.

Creston

Maybe something has changed but in the Alpha when I Alt-tabbed out of the server/game I was in and selected a different one to join it caused the game client to shut down and load up again in the background, no way to "fast switch".

Though on the bright side you didn't need to sit through EA/DICE promo videos or needlessly "log-in" again just to join a different server.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 17:07 entr0py

Teddy wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 15:49:

Creston

It's a bit more awkward, sure but it also works faster than you can swap servers in BC2 or BF2.

I don't think you can alt-tab out. It's designed so that you close the game client every time you leave a server, and restart it every time you join a server. But again as Teddy mentioned, the entire process is still faster than switching servers in any previous Battlefield game. And the web-based server browser has more features than previous in-game browsers. For example, you can join simultaneously with your friends as a squad.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 16:43 ^Drag0n^

And don't even get me started on Origin. It downloads an installer rather than the game files, which is needlessly time consuming and requires additional hard-disk space (not that it's expensive). But it only downloads the base game, so you need to install patches separately. And EA games still require the EA Download Manager, as they haven't integrated the functionality. I mean, it's like we back to 1998 all over again! There's a reason Steam dominates digital distribution and a large part of that is elimination of tedious installers and manual patches.

Boy, it's SO unbelievable how people could have something against shitty Digital River Storefront #328 Origin! Rolleyes

Creston

"Hey, 1997 called: they want qPlug back..."

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 16:38 theyarecomingforyou

Are you being serious? It's not an in-game browser? I don't mind if you have to access an overlay like Steam - though none of the Valve games do it that way - but I find it hard to believe that the only way to change server is to alt-tab or quit out. Heck, I'd probably go as far as to say most people probably don't even know what Alt-Tab is or never use it, probably most gamers as well (afterall, most people aren't "hardcore").

I've always found it strange how multiplayer centric games can have such poorly featured / functional in-game browsers. To me Valve set the benchmark about a decade ago and nobody has stepped up. Afterall, I was using Gamespy &whateveritwascalled& ('Arcade', or was that they crapped later one?) back in the day until Counter-Strike / TFC appeared. And Valve set the bar with VAC for anti-cheat as well, as I have had a HUGE amount of problems with Punkbuster (Far Cry 2 wouldn't work out of the box because Punkbuster didn't support 64bit operating systems).

Anyway, enough of my Valve love... I'll go back to hating on them for not releasing HL2 Ep3 / HL3.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 15:49 Teddy

Creston

It's a bit more awkward, sure but it also works faster than you can swap servers in BC2 or BF2.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 15:45 Creston

Creston

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta This Month Sep 20, 2011, 14:52 theyarecomingforyou

DangerDog wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 14:18:
Not listed in the requirements, but you'll also need to install plug-in's to your web browser and only 32bit web browsers are supported.
So they're happy to advance the hardware requirements yet hold back the development of the internet? Genius. What next, a return to ActiveX plug-ins that can only run on Internet Explorer?

I have over 420 games on Steam... do you have any idea how long it would take me to run the installer and patch each of them with Origin? And it can't be automated, meaning I'd have to sit at my computer for the entire time. Whereas with Steam I've reinstalled Windows, changed hardware and hard-disks numerous times and because Steam is on a separate drive all my games are immediately available. Has EA learnt NOTHING over the years? (RHETORICAL QUESTION)

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo