Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Beta "Still a Ways Off"

This interview on IncGamers chats with Matt Higby about PlanetSide 2, Sony Online Entertainment's MMOFPS sequel. Topics include the difference between the FPS and RPG genres when it comes to MMOGs, balancing customization, differences between factions, allowing multiple characters per account, their "outfit (guild) system, population balance, shooter balance, and this on open beta plans: "We’re waiting until we’re far enough along to allow us to use a beta to just test server load and that kind of thing. We have enough people at the company right now to do internal testing with 50 vs. 50 vs. 50 battles. We’re still a ways off from a beta."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta "Still a Ways Off" Sep 20, 2011, 20:23 space captain

no thats Hawken, and it looks uber-pimp..

firefall looks like some kind of disney fps crap.. im not interested in the least

much rather check out the new tribes game, it looks pretty far from the classic stuff except for the movement and chaotic firefights - but im down with that

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Sep 20, 2011, 09:27 InBlack

Is Firefall that cool looking mech game we saw some videos of earlier in the year?  

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Sep 20, 2011, 07:35 Bonta

Only 50 vs 50 vs 50? They got a long ways to go if they ever going to make the battles the same epic scale as the first one. Needs to be at least 100 vs 100 vs 100 to make it as close to PS as possible and even that's not enough.  

6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Sep 20, 2011, 07:08 Nate

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 01:02:
I've been following Firefall and I am now in the beta (starts tomorrow FYI)

If you have an extra beta invite, send one to me too.

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Sep 20, 2011, 04:45 Bishi

Any chance you can send a beta invite my way? (it works on the friend system right?)
thanks!

4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Sep 20, 2011, 01:02 ColoradoHoudini

I've been following Firefall and I am now in the beta (starts tomorrow FYI) and the one HUGE GLARINGLY TERRIBLE move Red 5 did was make the game expansive and highly-populated, and then say "yeah, but the PvP is instanced team vs team nonsense..perhaps max at 12 vs 12 or similar" --as far as we know now.. if my number is off, it isn't by a whole lot..game size withstanding.

So here you have a big world to play in.. an NPC force.. a scarce material people need, and some PvP in a cage. Umm, way to take out the immersion in a game. We aren't fighting for the resource, we're fighting for individual rewards.. against each other.. but then against the NPC's too?

Hopefully they open the game up to larger-scale battles and move away from this crybaby PvE nonsense and the godawful moronic asshole console fucktards the forums are attracting.
"we should have a bunch of melee moves!!"
in an FPS? you idiot, I hope you get kneecap cancer for xmas.

"we shouldn't have to play against people in an MP FPS"
Umm, go screw your horse, it's a MP FPS, it's PvP first and foremost.. hell, I feel silly just saying PvP in an FPS game, it's assumed because that's the proven working model for at least 15 years!

PvE in a larger scaled MP FPS seems like a terrible idea for longevity. There's only so much you can do as far as challenges in FPS's vs NPC's anyhow.

oops---
So in closing.. PS2 will cater to a different demographic.. a more hardcore, a more true FPS player. FF will keep a small share.. but it won't come close to cutting into PS2's numbers.

3. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta "Still a Ways Off" Sep 19, 2011, 23:55 Trevellian

I doubt it, cause Firefall looks like crap. I was excited for it when I first saw it but every single video I've seen since then just screams MMO Unreal Tournament with Jetpacks. No thanks.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta "Still a Ways Off" Sep 19, 2011, 22:44 Nate

I really hope not. Firefall is starting their beta. If PS2 releases a long time after Firefall, then it have a tough time grabbing players.  

1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta "Still a Ways Off" Sep 19, 2011, 20:49 space captain

sounds like 2013  
Go forth, and kill!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo