Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month

DC Universe Online will go free-to-play in late October for both Windows and PlayStation 3, announces Sony Online Entertainment, saying the game's new business model will offer three access levels, and that each "will provide access to open world gameplay and missions, general game updates and fixes to the game, with each level offering different game options and benefits." John Smedley, President, Sony Online Entertainment explains: "Our philosophy embraces learning from our experience and as a pioneer in the free-to-play space with proven successful games like Free Realms and Clone Wars Adventures, we believe this new model will expand the DCUO experience and offer more options that cater to every type of player so they can play the game in a way that fits them." Here are the three levels:

• Free: New players will now have access to the current gameplay in DC Universe Online (including Gotham City, Metropolis, and all current raids and alerts), with the ability to create two characters, join a league and many other benefits. Free level players will be able to purchase downloadable game packs/updates, additional character slots, powers and more through microtransactions.
  • Premium: Any player who has spent at least $5 USD (including former paid subscribers and new players who have purchased $5 of in-game items) will qualify for the Premium access level. Premium level players will have more benefits available to them than the Free level player, including additional character slots, additional inventory slots, and higher cash limits. Downloadable adventure packs, additional character slots, and more can be purchased in-game.
  • Legendary: Maximum features and benefits are included at this level. Loaded with enhanced additional features, Legendary access will be available for a $14.99 USD monthly fee and includes all DLC packs at no cost, more than 15 character slots, more than 80 inventory slots, the ability to form unrestricted-sized leagues, and many other benefits.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 20, 2011, 08:47 Cutter

cento wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 23:49:
How's that prediction on Rift going? Wasn't that FTP in 6 months too? Oh, wait, Rift is still going strong...

6-12 months, and no it's not going strong. They're losing subs hand over fist. When SWTOR is out than GW2 it's all over but the crying.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 20, 2011, 00:03 Illumin

cento wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 23:49:
How's that prediction on Rift going? Wasn't that FTP in 6 months too? Oh, wait, Rift is still going strong...

Rift is/ was all right just didn't grab me and keep me for more than a few months. Im predicting that Rift will loose a bunch of subs when the next decent mmo comes out.

I've actually started reading the "Game of thrones" series by R.R Martin to get me through till Skyrim comes out.

18. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 23:49 cento

17. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 19:13 Cutter

Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 15:01:
Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 14:39:
Gee, what surprise. How is SOE still in business? How the fuck does Smed still have a job?

You called this one awhile ago I recall, 8 months was the prediction IIRC.

I think I had this one pegged at 6 months. Honestly though, I can't say anyone who played would be in the least surprised by that. They shoulda stayed away from PS3. That was the major mistake. PC and console games simply are not meant to be played together. You just end up hobbling it for both players and no one is happy. The only thing they did really well with it were the travelling powers. Flight in particular was just so smooth in how you'd take off and land.

I put SWTOR in a similar boat. After you've run through the various storylines and seen and done all the quests there really won't be a reason to stick around - unless you're the raid or pvp type, just like every other MOG. I really will be surprised if it turns a profit.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 17:46 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 12:30:
What exactly does DC Universe bring to the table besides it's license?

It really doesn't play anything like City of Heroes, although that's a pro and a con.

The gameplay in DC is fun, there just isn't enough variety to either how you play or the characters you can create. It's a great game for a month, and then you've probably seen what you want to see anyway.

It's another game that does the inexplicable MMO design choice of giving you something to play however you want until you hit the level cap, at which point you are forced to either PvP in the same areas ad nauseum, or raid, because the game you enjoyed enough to hit the level cap with ceases to exist.

15. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 16:57 kanniballl

Krovven wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 15:01:

It's on the PS3 console, where City of Heroes is not.

It has a few things going for it, but even more going against it. If you find the game on sale, it's probably worth a $30 or $40 price tag if you're into the whole Super Hero MMO thing... now that it's FTP.

I was pleasantly surprised at first, so much so that I went LifeTime Sub on it. Decent action, played with the DC license, more casual, etc. And with promise of more (like new powers) to come.

But its casual nature and lack of updates made me grow sick of it quick.

Pros
- DC license, a BIG deal to some
- All mission text is recited by TV actors... and for the most part done VERY well
- Travel Power right away
- Decent looking graphics, not GREAT but not bad either.
- Casual Player Friendly... you can max easily and pick up where you left off.
- On the PS3, WITH a console-friendly input.
- Costume changes on-the-fly without having to pay in-game points to change around.

Cons
- Too casual / too quick to Max Level
- Too little content, with not enough updates
- Too few power sets, especially the classics like "Super Strength" or "Energy Emission" So you're always looking like something very theme-heavy
- Too much armor, not enough "spandex"
- Population was insanely poor before Server Merge / Super Server. Now is only "alright"
- Long outages due to hacks.
- Cant do a major respec, like Travel Powers or going from fire to ice. Especially travel.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2011, 17:03.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 16:52 kanniballl

Talisorn wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 16:46:
Doesn't anyone remember this game was going to be F2P from the beginning and the sub was added later? I'm betting this was on the cards all along ...

Yeh, I recall devs (or someone) saying that they were thinking about going F2P before they released.

Don't recall if it was official, or just "we're playing with the idea."

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2011, 17:03.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 16:46 Talisorn

Doesn't anyone remember this game was going to be F2P from the beginning and the sub was added later? I'm betting this was on the cards all along ...  

12. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 16:25 eRe4s3r

All mmos just lock your account, you might decide to come back if they keep it long enough ;p WOW still sends me emails to try out a free trial or come back with 30 days free (and use my old account)

Though i am happy to be rid of that disease

11. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 15:01 Verno

Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 14:39:
Gee, what surprise. How is SOE still in business? How the fuck does Smed still have a job?

You called this one awhile ago I recall, 8 months was the prediction IIRC.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

10. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 15:01 Krovven

It's on the PS3 console, where City of Heroes is not.

9. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 14:59 xXBatmanXx

Blackhawk wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 14:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 12:46:
So if I am subscription based for 3 months, then drop sub, what happens to my character(s)?

Has this been addressed in any game yet?

The only free game I've played where I'd previously subscribed was LotRO. There, if you end your subscription, character slots past #x (the free number of slots) are simply locked, and the characters in those slots become inaccessible until you resume your subscription.

THat makes sense, I wonder if they also lock the items past X number of items in your inventory, etc etc etc. hmmmm.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

8. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 14:39 Cutter

7. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 14:39 Shineyguy

I preordered and played on launch day. Was a great game, but didn't have enough to just grab me completely and keep me in the game. Creating a character and developing it was fun, but it didn't entice me to stay in it. Some stuff was just broken; so I ended up cancelling my account before I was charged for my first month's service...

I may go back to it now though, since I'll be a Premium user.

6. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 14:26 Blackhawk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 12:46:
So if I am subscription based for 3 months, then drop sub, what happens to my character(s)?

The only free game I've played where I'd previously subscribed was LotRO. There, if you end your subscription, character slots past #x (the free number of slots) are simply locked, and the characters in those slots become inaccessible until you resume your subscription.

5. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 12:46 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

4. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 12:33 Slashman

Illumin wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 12:17:
Im waiting for them to pay me to play it then i might try it out.

I've never really heard people say it was a bad game. Only that it wasn't worth a monthly subscription fee. You can't really get much more risk-free than free to play.

3. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 12:31 Bill Borre

HaHa. That didn't take long.  

2. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 12:30 Jivaro

It is a bit late Sony. If they wanted this to work, shouldn't they have done it before CoH went FTP? I mean, COH has better gameplay, it has been around longer, the community is fantastic, the players can create missions for other players to play, and the world is huge.

1. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 12:17 Illumin

Im waiting for them to pay me to play it then i might try it out.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo