Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games

Netflix announces that it is rebranding the DVD portion of its service to Qwickster to differentiate from its streaming service, and will be adding Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 video game rentals to the Qwikster side of the service. The blog posting announcing this begins with an apology for the perception that the company "lacked respect and humility" in the way it announced the separation of DVD and streaming, and the price changes this entailed, calling this "arrogance based upon past success." Here's word:

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, and now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. Another advantage of separate websites is simplicity for our members. Each website will be focused on just one thing (DVDs or streaming) and will be even easier to use. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated. So if you subscribe to both services, and if you need to change your credit card or email address, you would need to do it in two places. Similarly, if you rate or review a movie on Qwikster, it doesn’t show up on Netflix, and vice-versa.

View
44. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 19, 2011, 14:05 Ray Marden

It is still a good overall service for the price, but it really needs to get some contracts in place, else it is going to become obsolete. I suspect the writing is on the wall for the company regardless - it does not control the pipes to my home nor, outside of one series, is it a content producer.

Otherwise, the service was not performing the way I wanted it to. I had a queue of close to 200 titles, but maybe 10% of them were actually available for streaming? Even then, a few conversions had audio/quality issues, certainly no extras, and foreign releases were typically limited to a single language. On top of that is the issue with titles being available for steaming today, but gone tomorrow, and coming back another day.

Looking to the physical media, it was not offering launch-day mailings, could take a month or more for a title to even be offered, it was having problems maintaining inventory (I had about thirty previously-available titles make their way to the dreaded Unavailable queue,) and it was manipulating the queues too much in favor of the new users - nothing like waiting three months for your very first, highest priority selection.

These days, Netflx streaming is something I have running in the background while working or playing WoW. I rely on Blu-Rays or VoD for titles I actively am seeking out, else Netflix fills space or lets me watch the titles I had minor interest in, but would never seek out nor would I ever consider paying direct money to rent. The new website is complete crap - it shows less titles, it does not give me the rating information up front, it no longer filters out material I have already watched, it is slower to give me description information, etc.

The only two positives I can really attribute to the service are that it is far, far cheaper than my gigantic cable bill and that, through boredom, I have occasionally stumbled onto really great shows/movies that I would never have considered if not for the flat Netflix rate.
A few times, I have struggled to find anything to steam.
Wishing Brighthouse spent less on advertising and more on superior compression,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 19, 09:31 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Pankin
  2. Sep 19, 09:37  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games nin
  5. Sep 19, 09:39   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games InBlack
  53. Sep 19, 17:19    Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games JohnnyRotten
  3. Sep 19, 09:39  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games RoTide
  4. Sep 19, 09:39 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games zincthallinide
  6. Sep 19, 09:40 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Illumin
  7. Sep 19, 09:52 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games ^Drag0n^
  8. Sep 19, 09:55  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beamer
  9. Sep 19, 10:00 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Mr. Tact
  13. Sep 19, 10:14  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beamer
  18. Sep 19, 10:36   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games InBlack
  10. Sep 19, 10:02 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Illumin
  11. Sep 19, 10:03 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Blackhawk
  12. Sep 19, 10:05 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Kythlyn
  14. Sep 19, 10:16  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beamer
  27. Sep 19, 10:52  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Creston
  29. Sep 19, 10:58   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beamer
  30. Sep 19, 11:14    Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Will
  56. Sep 19, 20:54    Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games PropheT
  57. Sep 19, 23:46     Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Jensen
  15. Sep 19, 10:23 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games necrosis
  17. Sep 19, 10:36  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games nin
  20. Sep 19, 10:38   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games necrosis
  23. Sep 19, 10:46    Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Shok
  16. Sep 19, 10:26 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Verno
  19. Sep 19, 10:37  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Downer28
  26. Sep 19, 10:50   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beamer
>> 44. Sep 19, 14:05   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Ray Marden
  21. Sep 19, 10:42 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Verno
  22. Sep 19, 10:44  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games necrosis
  25. Sep 19, 10:50   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Verno
  28. Sep 19, 10:56   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beamer
  24. Sep 19, 10:49 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Creston
  40. Sep 19, 13:27  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Ruffiana
  41. Sep 19, 13:31   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games nin
  46. Sep 19, 14:21   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Creston
  51. Sep 19, 15:19    Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games ^Drag0n^
  52. Sep 19, 16:34     Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Creston
  31. Sep 19, 11:23 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Verno
  32. Sep 19, 11:35  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beamer
  33. Sep 19, 11:46 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Verno
  35. Sep 19, 12:32  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beamer
  37. Sep 19, 12:41   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Creston
  38. Sep 19, 12:55    Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games ^Drag0n^
  39. Sep 19, 13:12    Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Verno
  34. Sep 19, 12:16 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games jimnms
  36. Sep 19, 12:33 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Silicon Avatar
  42. Sep 19, 13:35 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Verno
  43. Sep 19, 14:02  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Capella
  45. Sep 19, 14:07  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Rhino
  54. Sep 19, 17:31  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games JohnnyRotten
  55. Sep 19, 20:31   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games [VG]Reagle
  47. Sep 19, 14:45 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games wolve
  48. Sep 19, 14:49  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games nin
  49. Sep 19, 15:11 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games wolve
  50. Sep 19, 15:13 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Tumbler
  58. Sep 20, 12:40 Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games wrlwnd
  59. Sep 20, 18:08  Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games kanniballl
  60. Sep 22, 02:32   Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Beaner

footer

Blue's News logo