Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cancelled Avengers Game Footage

A trailer is now available with pre-alpha footage of THQ Australia's cancelled Avengers game. The clip shows a couple of environments from the game, and combat and buff sequences featuring Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, and the Super Skrull. The clip carries the label "Work in Progress - Art Not Final," which will apparently be the game's status forever. Versions of this are being yoinked by YouTube, but Kotaku has a local version if this one gets disappeared.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Needed to suck more Sep 19, 2011, 09:46 Beamer

Looks like every other crappy console comic book license. I'm shocked people here are so excited.

I'll just wait on Prototype 2.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Needed to suck more Sep 19, 2011, 09:22 eRe4s3r

Thats the law of movie tie ins.. i think theres a reason, don't raise expectations, that way your next sucky game will still sell like the shit, but if you make one REALLY good game that ties in with a movie, all next games are gonna be judged based on that.

31. Needed to suck more Sep 19, 2011, 08:40 Ravenrex

It obviously didn't suck enough to get released.

If it sucked more it would have been published a disappointingly long time after the movie and would have been properly horrible enough to make you hate the creators and wonder how they took such good source material and dorked it up.

If they really wanted to get it published they should have followed the formula that so many other movie/game tie-ins adhered to and included more suckage.

"Any sufficiently advanced
technology is indistinguishable
from magic."
--Clarke's Third Law

30. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 19, 2011, 05:32 loomy

what they showed looks good. maybe the game was really behind or something was really wrong, like it just wasn't fun or something. or maybe the leadership sucks  

29. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 19, 2011, 02:46 Fantaz

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 01:10:
Oh my god this looks amazing! Fuck. Why does the cool shit always get ruined like this? I'm not even as upset about it having been canceled as I am about the thought of all the wasted work and man hours that went into this thing. I bet there are a lot of really upset designers and developers. To me, that's the real tragedy here. Hopefully they got paid, at least!

It's because it's first-person... apparently all Marvel games are required to be in the third-person perspective. (stupid)

28. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 19, 2011, 01:20 ForgedReality

cento wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 23:50:
Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 21:03:
That's why that cancelled Marvel game from EA was looking like the bomb. I saw one clip where the Hulk rips a lampost out of the ground and bats Cap through - fucking through!!! - a building! And this was actual gameplay, not CGI. It's the first superhero game I ever saw that looked like something out of the comics with the environmental destruction and what not. That lack of kinetic interaction is always what's bothered me most about superhero games. If I'm the Hulk and I punch someone I want to see them flying backward 20ft and through a brick wall, you know?

As I understand it (talking to co-workers that had friends working in the Chicago studio), none of what the EA game was doing was procedural. All of those assets were being custom built to destruct into hand built pieces, and in the end, it was FAR too costly. The project was over-scheduled and over-budget.

No matter how good of a demo reel that makes, it was a case of throwing money at it as a solution instead of figuring out a smart solution and it helped run that studio out of business.

I have no idea what may be the reasons behind the Avengers game, but am just pointing out that there is a lot of moving pieces to making a game, and that most of us rarely have the full picture. I am sure that even with insider gossip and my own professional interests in how the EA game was going that there are plenty of other factors feeding into its demise of which I am unaware.

I'm still playing RF:G, and loving the destruction engine they built into that game. If someone did a mod for it, where you could hit someone with a lamp post and send them through a building, that would be fucking cool!

27. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 19, 2011, 01:10 ForgedReality

Oh my god this looks amazing! Fuck. Why does the cool shit always get ruined like this? I'm not even as upset about it having been canceled as I am about the thought of all the wasted work and man hours that went into this thing. I bet there are a lot of really upset designers and developers. To me, that's the real tragedy here. Hopefully they got paid, at least!  

26. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 23:50 cento

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 21:03:
That's why that cancelled Marvel game from EA was looking like the bomb. I saw one clip where the Hulk rips a lampost out of the ground and bats Cap through - fucking through!!! - a building! And this was actual gameplay, not CGI. It's the first superhero game I ever saw that looked like something out of the comics with the environmental destruction and what not. That lack of kinetic interaction is always what's bothered me most about superhero games. If I'm the Hulk and I punch someone I want to see them flying backward 20ft and through a brick wall, you know?

As I understand it (talking to co-workers that had friends working in the Chicago studio), none of what the EA game was doing was procedural. All of those assets were being custom built to destruct into hand built pieces, and in the end, it was FAR too costly. The project was over-scheduled and over-budget.

No matter how good of a demo reel that makes, it was a case of throwing money at it as a solution instead of figuring out a smart solution and it helped run that studio out of business.

I have no idea what may be the reasons behind the Avengers game, but am just pointing out that there is a lot of moving pieces to making a game, and that most of us rarely have the full picture. I am sure that even with insider gossip and my own professional interests in how the EA game was going that there are plenty of other factors feeding into its demise of which I am unaware.

25. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 23:28 frag.machine

Looks pretty interesting (even with the low FOV pointed above, surely a sign of consolitis), it's a shame got canned. Oh well...  

24. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 22:47 kanniballl

Wildone wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 18:33:
HULL rocks

HULL Smass!

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 22:30 Fion

is it just me or is the FOV extremely tight, like 45 or 50. For alpha footage the game looks pretty interesting. There's a lot of work unfinished but by releasing this maybe the developers are hoping another studio will pick it up?  

22. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 22:19 Lorcin

The Iron Man stuff looked too slow, hulk too weak - for instance the impact at 1:48 really needed something, anything, even a screen shake would have been good.

Couldn't care less about captain america. And the brief thor footage again just hugely lacking in power - it looked like he was running under water.

I know this was pre-alpha etc but it stunk of movie tie-in and 50% average review scores already and I think the general public are finally realising that for the most parts movie tie-ins aren't worth the money.

21. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 21:14 Ray Marden

This actually looks really good and is the first comic book game that I would actually be interested in playing from the past few years.

...and yet it is canceled. Meanwhile, they will continue pushing out sub-standard, generic releases with no depth or development time.
Props for letting people fly around.
Shaking my head,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

20. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 21:03 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 20:33:
The first-person perspective is interesting, though I'm not sure how well it would have worked for melee-centric characters like Thor and Hulk. Also, the footage didn't really seem to convey Hulk's strength very well. A single punch should have sent those Skrulls flying.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 20:35 Ant

Jerykk wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 20:33:
The first-person perspective is interesting, though I'm not sure how well it would have worked for melee-centric characters like Thor and Hulk. Also, the footage didn't really seem to convey Hulk's strength very well. A single punch should have sent those Skrulls flying.
And no big jumps from Hulk in the video.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 20:33 Jerykk

17. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 20:21 Rockn-Roll

Maybe it's not a typo...perhaps the game got cancelled because they expected Incredible Hulk, but instead it was Isomorphic Hull whose power is to change characters by one letter without the author knowing. Think about it...this super hero is incredible...he's moosed up blue's posts several times. And, there's plenty of authors who made the New York Times Bestseller lists that have been co-op'ed by this Marvel Hero.

Edit: I am Isomorphic Hulm.

Let's Rock!

16. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 19:22 Cutter

Wildone wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 18:33:
HULL rocks

I know! I can't believe he's never heard of the Incredible Hull!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 19:17 atomicfro

At 0:43 you can see the heroes labeled with "AI Player #" I am without a doubt certain this was intended to be multiplayer co-op. Not that much further you can see them labeled on Ironman's HUD the same way. Scoring seemed to be important, so its my guess the game would play more like a Left 4 Dead then say a Borderlands.  

14. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 18:35 Ant

Fifth wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 17:04:
...buff sequences featuring Iron Man, Hull, Captain America...
You might want to fix that so it reads "Hulk" Blue.
E-mail him then. He doesn't read every single comment thread.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo