Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Gaming Peripherals

Corsair announces new Vengeance Gaming peripherals, including two Vengeance mice, one designed for first-person shooter players, and the other geared more towards RTS and MMO gaming, two Vengeance mechanical keyboards, with the same specializations as the mice, as well as three Vengeance headsets, which are genre agnostic, but offer different feature sets to suit different needs. Also, SplitFish announces the North American release of The FRAGFX SHARK 360, which is due in Europe on October 10th. As the name implies, this is for the Xbox 360, aimed at being the "ultimate weapon for Xbox 360 FPS players," though it will work on PCs as well. Word is: "The FRAGFX SHARK 360 is a significant step forward for the console gaming industry because it not only provides an almost perfect PC mouselike FPS experience for gamers on the XBOX 360, but also provides an easy to adopt, high end, fully programmable analog stick counterpart that make it possible for hardcore PC FPS fans to enjoy their favorite shooters on MAC or PC."

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 19, 2011, 22:55 mag

PHJF wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 21:55:
Why the fuck would I need a wireless mouse/keyboard? Do I go vaulting around the room when using the computer or am I sitting at a computer desk?

I have my tower on the floor, and the mouse cord comes up over the back of the desk. Unless I pile the whole mess of it up on the desk--which causes other problems--I end up with a lot of drag from dangling mouse cable. It's annoying. I'd rather just charge my mouse while I sleep every couple of days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 18, 2011, 04:33 Crustacean Soup

Dades wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 14:53:
I've owned expensive hardware and I've owned cheap hardware and there is little to no difference in many things beyond aesthetics and occasionally comfort. Competition is the only test worthy of mention and I do not suffer in FPS games, far from it. If people really want to spend money where it counts then they should be doing it on the CPU/GPU instead of gimmicky CMedia based headsets and 50000 DPI mice with dumb names.

Two things I noticed going from my Intellimouse Optical (which is still a solid mouse) to a Razer Deathadder (which wasn't particuarly expensive; I think $35 on sale?):

- more DPI means I don't have to move the mouse as much to have the same effect. This can't be replicated by simply upping the sensitivity on the a lower-DPI mouse, since you lose fine movement if you do that. I find moving less to be more comfortable.

- doesn't skip if I move it quickly. I did encounter this in games before. It wasn't enough to kill the experience, but it's nice to be rid of it.

(I never use the DPI adjustment because it's done via a button at the bottom of the mouse. Wtf, Razer?)

I wouldn't say it improved my score or anything like that, I think that (at least, in the games I play) comes primarily from strategy, skill, and situational awareness, and a decent player can adjust to any mouse. But it's still nice to have, not only for the games but for desktop use as well.

41. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 17:47 ^Drag0n^

Gotta disagree with you mate: having on the fly sensitivity adjustment so improved my sniping it was ridiculous. With no consequence to my snap shooting in CQB. $5 mice dont have that.

That said, I agree that Razer and Logitech gaming mice are overpriced based on what you get, but when the market is smaller, you end up paying more for boutique items. BUT, the entry level gaming mice aren't really THAT much more than your run of the mill desktop mouse either.

^D^

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2011, 18:03.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

40. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 14:53 Dades

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 12:21:
Nah. There's a very noticeable difference between your el-cheapo mouse and my Lachesis in FPS games. I've compared both types and you are not correct.

Of course you would say that when you've spent the money. How would you have any idea? I haven't mentioned the make, model or specs. Maybe it was a Logitech mouse on sale at Wal-Mart. All you have to go on is the price which is a shallow barometer for performance. You've shown that your opinion is based solely on what you own and how much it cost instead of its use. You're too quick to defend something because you spent money on it instead of making any actual comparison.

I've owned expensive hardware and I've owned cheap hardware and there is little to no difference in many things beyond aesthetics and occasionally comfort. Competition is the only test worthy of mention and I do not suffer in FPS games, far from it. If people really want to spend money where it counts then they should be doing it on the CPU/GPU instead of gimmicky CMedia based headsets and 50000 DPI mice with dumb names.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2011, 15:03.

39. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 12:21 Fibrocyte

Dades wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 11:36:
I use a $10 Wal-Mart mouse. It's not the hardware, its the player using it.

Nah. There's a very noticeable difference between your el-cheapo mouse and my Lachesis in FPS games. I've compared both types and you are not correct.

38. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 11:36 Dades

I use a $10 Wal-Mart mouse. It's not the hardware, its the player using it.  

37. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 11:23 Jay

i would love to go wireless, but I generally had poor experience with them. signal drops were very common with any sort of interference. bluetooth was slightly better, but it got laggier and laggier with increasing distance from the receiver (almost like gaming on onlive service).  

36. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 11:12 Alamar

I haven't gone out of my way to buy a wireless mouse/keyboard, but holy crap I love the wirelesses of the ones that came with my iMac, as well as the wireless controllers for xbox/ps3/wii...

But sticking with the computer mouse... I'm a person that finds the wires a pain in the ass at times, especially when I need to make barely perceptible movements, and the cord either hits the computer/monitor/whatever or hangs off the desk. Major enough that it's annoying, but minor enough that I haven't purposefully spent money to get away from it.

As for keyboards, I often have my feet up, and the keyboard on my lap, so having a short cable can certainly suck, but most times, it's been long enough. Had a MS keyboard from like 10 years ago that rocked the casbah... Long cord, heavy/solid unit... Best keyboard I've ever owned... Too bad their (and every other manufacturer's) newer models are cheap/light crap. So again, I like the wireless one when I'm on the mac, but not enough to purposefully buy wireless keyboards...

And then there are the batteries... Not that big a deal with rechargeable's, but then, it's another expense, even if small. But I admit I always giggled like a little school girl when playing any game (WoW/massive, FPS, RTS, whatever), and someone I'm playing with starts cursing that their mouse batteries just died : )

-Alamar

35. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 10:32 ^Drag0n^

Halo wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 02:35:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 01:45:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 01:39:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 23:09:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 22:56:
Why the fuck would I need a wireless mouse/keyboard? Do I go vaulting around the room when using the computer or am I sitting at a computer desk?

Exactly. Wired is still the best way to go.

Simple. Media center PC hooked up to your HD tv in the living room. I have a shuttle media center/gaming rig on mine. Most keyboards/mice don't come with 12' cords.

^D^

Long USB cable from the computer to a hub on a side or coffee table. Keyboard/mouse/gamepad/cameras/ipods/etc. connect to the hub. It's nice and convenient.

To trip over. No thanks. But I go with Bluetooth. Unencrypted kb's are a bad thing.

Who doesn't use an mouse/keboard app (either Droid or Apple) to connect to their media Center???

Oh, I have that too (AirMouse), but it kinda sucks for gaming...I enjoy occasionally playing PC games on my big TV.

^D^

34. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 10:28 ^Drag0n^

Rockn-Roll wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 02:38:
I build my own mice...I didn't like it when they removed the middle button and I have not found a wireless mouse that still provides a middle button. So I buy large Logitech Mouseman mice and remove the guts and buy the best wireless mouse circuitry available and do some soldering so that the buttons on the mouseman are wired to the electronics of the wireless mouse.

For those of you that have tried wireless keyboards & mice and get disconnects and such then you are buying the cheap ones...which do not have very good electronics. I never get a disconnect and since the large mouseman has more space inside it I replaced the small battery of the wireless mouse with a larger one. A full charge lasts 6 months and I use my computer for at least 80 hours a week (I just looked at my Steam community page and it says I've played 142.7 hours in the past 2 weeks so at least 70 per week just playing games and I use my computer for work too).

Hahaha...that's awesome! I'll bet you're a bit of a gearhead too? I think we'd get along well...

^D^

33. Re: Game Reviews Sep 17, 2011, 10:25 ^Drag0n^

I've had no problems with my Diamondback "plasma" that I've had for six years. Well, some of the rubber has worn off the buttons from my poor storage habits in the laptop bag, but it certainly has held up at least as good as any Logitech mouse I've owned. Definitely better than the intellimice...

^D^

32. Re: Game Reviews Sep 17, 2011, 08:33 CommunistHamster

I use a cheap chinese wireless keyboard-with-trackpad for my media centre, it's more convenient than wires, and you can hand it around at parties.

For my desktop, an el cheapo wired keyboard and a razer diamondback 3g wired mouse, which is on it's way out, like the last razer mouse I bought. Bad build quality from razer in my experience, but maybe that's just because it's their budget mouse.

31. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 07:36 Fibrocyte

I build my own mice...I didn't like it when they removed the middle button and I have not found a wireless mouse that still provides a middle button. So I buy large Logitech Mouseman mice and remove the guts and buy the best wireless mouse circuitry available and do some soldering so that the buttons on the mouseman are wired to the electronics of the wireless mouse.

For those of you that have tried wireless keyboards & mice and get disconnects and such then you are buying the cheap ones...which do not have very good electronics. I never get a disconnect and since the large mouseman has more space inside it I replaced the small battery of the wireless mouse with a larger one. A full charge lasts 6 months and I use my computer for at least 80 hours a week (I just looked at my Steam community page and it says I've played 142.7 hours in the past 2 weeks so at least 70 per week just playing games and I use my computer for work too).

What is this I don't even

30. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 02:47 Halo

Sepharo wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 02:41:

Rotfl
Haha okay I thought I might sound a little crazy talking about my usb extension cables but you're seriously building fuckin mice? Hahaha

USB to Ethernet...

29. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 02:41 Sepharo

Rotfl
Haha okay I thought I might sound a little crazy talking about my usb extension cables but you're seriously building fuckin mice? Hahaha

28. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 02:38 Rockn-Roll

Let's Rock!

27. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 02:36 Sepharo

Buy a bunch of usb extension cables from monoprice for cheap. I originally bought them for practical reasons when I had a wide desk setup but now I chain a bunch together and use my mouse and headphones from the couch.

I go further than 5 meters too without issue, kind of surprised me first time I tried it considering that's supposed to be the maximum.

They also are great for extending cell phone micro usb chargers so you don't need to be a foot away from the power while charging.

26. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 02:35 Halo

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 01:45:

Simple. Media center PC hooked up to your HD tv in the living room. I have a shuttle media center/gaming rig on mine. Most keyboards/mice don't come with 12' cords.

^D^

Long USB cable from the computer to a hub on a side or coffee table. Keyboard/mouse/gamepad/cameras/ipods/etc. connect to the hub. It's nice and convenient.

To trip over. No thanks. But I go with Bluetooth. Unencrypted kb's are a bad thing.

Who doesn't use an mouse/keboard app (either Droid or Apple) to connect to their media Center???

25. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 02:08 Crustacean Soup

Now you're changing the argument, that's cheating. I have mine going along the wall, my apartment is laid out just right for that (I'm also not 12' away from the screen). My headphone cable is a trip hazard when I leave it connected, but I'm still alive (for the time being).  

24. Re: New Gaming Peripherals Sep 17, 2011, 01:45 ^Drag0n^

^D^

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo