Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GamePro - Cliffy B Calls Eurogamer 'Haters' for Gears of War 3 Review Score.
But one particular jab at Eurogamer for their Gears of War 3 review is currently running as headline news, particularly because Destructoid's Jim Sterling pointed out the hubris of Bleszinski's statement that Eurogamer's Johnny Minkley was a "hater" for giving Gears of War 3 an 8 out of 10, where other outlets have given higher scores.

Fact is, Cliffy B should be extremely happy that Gears of War 3 is so critically acclaimed among the gaming press... even though his latest game is performing so well, it's a shame that he can't see the forest for the trees. In Sterling's own words, "a man who is currently swimming in perfect review scores" to be "getting upset because he didn't get just a handful more" comes off as "unbelievably vulgar."

Jim Sterling isn't wrong.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2011, 21:32 Jerykk

But overall the mechanics don't change too much. It feels deliberate, but yes, as I mentioned what was awe-inspiringing relatively in 2006 is less so now. That doesn't mean it isn't good, just isn't as good. This is the original formula polished to perfection, but the rest of the industry has moved, too, leaving the original formula not as impressive.

To be honest, I never found third-person, cover-based gameplay to be particularly awe-inspiring. Cover is only interesting in first-person because you have to sacrifice awareness for protection. In third-person, you sacrifice nothing so there's no reason not to take cover. It's just a boring gameplay mechanic so basing an entire game around it results in an underwhelming experience.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 18:24 Dev

Creston wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 23:07:
cliffyb. The biggest fucking cunt in gaming.

Creston
Come on now, more than bobby kotick?

35. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 17:54 Dev

ZOMG! How DARE you unwashed peons give my game a 8 out of 10!
We are gonna have to blacklist you!

34. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 16:34 nin

Once again, the folks at epic show their true colors.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 16:22 Beamer

IMO? Eurogamer went easy on it. Let's be real for a second, here...GoW3 is the third iteration of the exact same game mechanic, and without a substantial upgrade to gameplay or story or interactivity,

There's actually a big leap in story telling, and a pretty big leap in multiplayer (dedicated servers.)

But overall the mechanics don't change too much. It feels deliberate, but yes, as I mentioned what was awe-inspiringing relatively in 2006 is less so now. That doesn't mean it isn't good, just isn't as good. This is the original formula polished to perfection, but the rest of the industry has moved, too, leaving the original formula not as impressive.

Still a very fun game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 12:59 theyarecomingforyou

Cliffy B strikes again. Seriously, he's attacking a review site for giving a game 8/10... most people would kill for that sort of review, particularly from Eurogamer who are notoriously harsh on games. Still, The Witcher 2 got 9/10, Team Fortress 2 got 10/10 and Portal 2 got 10/10. I think it's only fair to keep the top scores for games that innovate or do something new, rather than Gears Of War 3... which is exactly like Gears Of War 2.

Cliffy B needs to shut the fuck up, as this is just embarrassing. I think it's brilliant that review sites like Eurogamer resist publisher pressure, as I respect them a lot more than the rest.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

31. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 11:04 ^Drag0n^

IMO? Eurogamer went easy on it. Let's be real for a second, here...GoW3 is the third iteration of the exact same game mechanic, and without a substantial upgrade to gameplay or story or interactivity, I'd give it a 6/10, and tell people to just read the single player synopsis of the story off Wikipedia.

I'm sure Cliffy loved the score GameStopInformer gave them (I'm guessing a 9.5, based on their record), but any rag published by a retailer isn't going to throw manure on the first cash cow of the fall.

The only critics that matter are the end users. Thank god for metaritic and Amazon for at least that.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

30. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 10:52 Beamer

Ruffiana wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 22:06:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 21:32:
Talk about blowing a simple comment OUT OF PROPORTION....

I agree, this comes across as pretty obvious sarcasm to me. You have to be a hater to really take umbrage at a statement like this.

This, too.

Since we usually only see his comments in text this board usually takes them at face value. The notion of Cliffy here is brooding, moody jackass. He's really more of a clown jackass. His "hater" comment is almost definitely tongue-in-cheek. Little that he says is ever serious and not-joking.
But, since tone is impossible in text, that gets lost. Many of the comments he's made that people here have been annoyed at have been completely sarcastic. This one is less obviously so, but probably still sarcasm.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 09:12 wrlwnd

Tony!!! wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 21:37:
Hey, he puts out great games...

Really?

What has he put out that's "great" in the last 8 years?

28. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 08:58 |RaptoR|

No love lost for CliffyB, but Eurogamer is trash  

27. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 05:19 everyone

PropheT wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 23:34:
Cliff has a pretty good point, actually.

The last line of the article kind of makes the point, really:
I mean, it's not like the game will be a "flop" like Bulletstorm, right?

Eurogamer gave Bulletstorm a 9.
You're not suggesting Bulletstorm must be worse because it didn't sell as well, are you? Please tell me you're not...

26. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 04:00 jdreyer

Sorry to pile on, but I got just one thing to say to you Cliffy:

First World Problem

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 03:30 Vach

Douch bag finally show's his true colour  

24. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 03:18 Sempai

This is the same frat boy who takes pics of this gf posing on his car and then shows it off like he's still in high school. Hey Cliff, how about a patch to fix the first broken Gears I purchased on PC? Thanks for the ongoing support there.

Real class act this kid is.

23. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 01:20 Darks

KilrathiAce wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 01:13:
Lol, this kind of bs one can only expect from cliffy b, he should go back to his world and stop telling us what to like.

Agreed, this is why I hate the guy and do not buy any of his games. He can kiss my ass after his whining about Piracy and screwing over the pc. Tough shit Bitchboy Cliffy, learn to live with disappointment like we all have after you screwed us PC gamers over.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

22. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 01:13 KilrathiAce

Lol, this kind of bs one can only expect from cliffy b, he should go back to his world and stop telling us what to like.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

21. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2011, 00:29 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 22:53:
These GoW games are ok, nothing great by any stretch though and highly overrated at that.

Agreed. I would give each new iteration of the game .5 or less each time from the previous score. Starting with a 7 for the first one....can't really do much with the game that hasn't already been done...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2011, 23:34 Halo

Isn't that because online reviews are basically 7=F 8=D/C 9=B 10=A+ ?  

19. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2011, 23:34 PropheT

Cliff has a pretty good point, actually.

The last line of the article kind of makes the point, really:
I mean, it's not like the game will be a "flop" like Bulletstorm, right?

Eurogamer gave Bulletstorm a 9.

Eurogamer is inconsistent with their review scores as it is, and it's not unusual for them to throw out a score that just doesn't go with the written review that can only be so they gather some site hits to see why.

18. Re: Op Ed Sep 16, 2011, 23:07 Creston

cliffyb. The biggest fucking cunt in gaming.

Creston

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo