Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway

Hi-Rez Studios announces they will give away 10 alpha keys for Tribes: Ascend through the game's Facebook page today, offering the chance for five winners to invite a friend to play the upcoming multiplayer shooter revival before the closed beta begins. Here's word:

To reward Tribes: Ascend Facebook fans, Hi-Rez is giving out 10 Tribes: Ascend Alpha keys today!

Step 1: LIKE Tribes: Ascend on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tribesascend
Step 2: COMMENT on the post before midnight EST on Sept 16, 2011
Step 3: Hi-Rez will select 5 people who commented. If selected, you get one key for yourself and another key for a friend of your choosing.

You both can play Tribes: Ascend this weekend BEFORE the start of Closed Beta. Go!

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 18, 2011, 03:53 Beaner

Those of you that claim "jump" doesnt mean anything and that you played T1 are full of shit. They didnt call it "jump skiing" for no reason. Part of being able to carve was attributed to the ability to jump and ski. I know some of you are too young to understand that but oh well.

My biggest gripe is with the loadout changes. Tribes has always been (from day one) about customizing your loadout. They are changing a core attribute of the game and I hate it. Additonally the two weapon limit, the change to COD style machine guns versus the traditional wweapons that were available in standard 3, 4 and 5 weapon loadouts are gone. T1 had it, T2 had it, even TV had it. There are other gay things like the auto-regeneration and the Unreal engine limits that bring back hard boxed boundries to tribes. Knowing the devs those hard boundries will be too close to the playing area just like the gayness in Tribes Vengeance.

When I look at what cornboy is doing with Firefall I understand why he rules. Yeah Firefall doesnt have skiing but you can see he's not going to rip out all of the customization and movement capability in his game. God I wish it was Dynamix back making this game. I also understand why he and the folks at Red5 gave the unreal engine the finger. Hard boundries in tribes... lol.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2011, 04:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 17, 2011, 10:53 ^Drag0n^

Overon wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 14:30:
Man, I never liked this Facebook based advertising contest bullshit.

I don't like the odds of winning and therefore it's not even worth the few minutes it would take to do this. I have my pride and self respect and if I jumped through those hoops I would have my pride and self respect lessened.

Your results may vary.

I could have sworn that you had to "be an actual person" in order to sign up to FB. At one time in their ToS. Clearly not the case now. And certainly the only way that company will make money. It's now the Internet equivalent of those free house and car rags you can get at the supermarket...full of crap that you really don't care anything about.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

32. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 17, 2011, 10:37 Linksil

How can you remove jumping? I havn't played for 2 years, but from what I remember: Jumping over and over again is what made skiing possible. You only jetted AFTER you jumped, otherwise you had no speed coming off a hill or jump. This is what I hated about T:V, they "automated" skiing instead of making it a pound the keyboard skill.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

31. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 17, 2011, 08:02 theyarecomingforyou

Ant wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 23:47:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 19:19:
I'll never forget buying Tribes 2, as I bought it on September 11th 2001.
Wow, was it before or after the attacks? It must be weird to be playing it because of that day.
Yeah, it was before. I don't remember when I first played the game but obviously I ended up watching the coverage of the attacks for hours. I was watching it live when the second plane crashed into the tower, which was just unreal.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 17, 2011, 00:50 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 17:28:
elefunk wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 16:27:
Removing jump from the game does literally nothing to the gameplay. It's entirely useless and irrelevant.

This is coming from me, someone who played a fuckton of Tribes 1 and 2, and also played more than an hour of Tribes Ascend at PAX.

If you think they're "retards" and "don't have a clue", then why think fucking jumping is so integral to the game? Jesus, what a stupid, ignorant complaint.

It was meant to point out just one aspect of design change that is completely retarded, there is a long list of things wrong with their game design.

I wouldn't consider it useless or irrelevant, I recall doing a lot of jump+jetting and firing the disclauncher into the ground etc. A well timed mortar round at your feet for a heavy and a jump+jet maneuver could gain you considerable distance.

The skiing in this game looks more like sliding around, hold X to slide. I still just don't think they "get it", not from what I've seen and read about the game.

But best of luck to Hi-Rez, maybe they'll tap into a whole new market on consoles when they've finished using PC gamers a guinea pigs for their all too apparent consolised version of "Tribes"

Sadly, I don't think disc/mortar/grenade jumping will be very useful in T:A. In the videos I've seen, you barely gain any momentum from doing them.

29. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 23:47 Ant

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 19:19:
Wow, was it before or after the attacks? It must be weird to be playing it because of that day.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

28. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 19:20 theyarecomingforyou

Lobster wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 12:55:
You guys remember when the "like" button was for stuff you "liked," and not something you clicked for a chance to win stuff?
Nah, it was always for promoting brands... it was never designed for the consumer.

27. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 19:19 theyarecomingforyou

26. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 18:09 Lesaonar

Frijoles wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 12:29:
Fuck you, Facebook.

Totally agree. FB hasn't been about social networking for a looong time now. All it is now is a marketing tool and haven for hate groups. Google+>Facebook.

[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/8qzpu4-4.png[/img]

25. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 18:09 Overon

You old fogies with your Kris Kross and your House of Pain.

I don't think jumping was super duper important in tribes 1 and 2 but it did give you a boost, you didn't to just jet from ground up, you wanted to jump and then jet for the extra momentum.

24. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 17:42 space captain

and Kris Kross  
Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 17:29 Cutter

Jumping is integral to any shooter. It's also integral to House of Pain.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

22. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 17:28 DangerDog

Removing jump from the game does literally nothing to the gameplay. It's entirely useless and irrelevant.

This is coming from me, someone who played a fuckton of Tribes 1 and 2, and also played more than an hour of Tribes Ascend at PAX.

If you think they're "retards" and "don't have a clue", then why think fucking jumping is so integral to the game? Jesus, what a stupid, ignorant complaint.

It was meant to point out just one aspect of design change that is completely retarded, there is a long list of things wrong with their game design.

I wouldn't consider it useless or irrelevant, I recall doing a lot of jump+jetting and firing the disclauncher into the ground etc. A well timed mortar round at your feet for a heavy and a jump+jet maneuver could gain you considerable distance.

The skiing in this game looks more like sliding around, hold X to slide. I still just don't think they "get it", not from what I've seen and read about the game.

But best of luck to Hi-Rez, maybe they'll tap into a whole new market on consoles when they've finished using PC gamers a guinea pigs for their all too apparent consolised version of "Tribes"

21. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 17:12 Mick

Mr. Elefunk speaks the truth.

20. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 16:55 Cornholio

I wouldn't be surprised if the jump ability becomes DLC/Micro transaction.

"Wanna jump? Pay $1.99 and you can gain the advantage of being able to jump in combat!"

19. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 16:33 Jerykk

The lack of jumping is a pretty insignificant issue compared to the predefined loadout system, two-weapon limit, health regen, sniper ammo, unlockables, etc.  

18. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 16:27 elefunk

17. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 14:58 DangerDog

Halo wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 13:49:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 16, 2011, 13:43:
They took effing JUMP out of the game, now I could understand removing crouch but not the ability to JUMP, no more jump+jet.

These guys are retards and don't have a clue what made Tribes popular or fun to play.

Kind of funny that someone with the space marine avatar is angry that jump was removed. amirite?

heh, yeah, yeah. Space marines are too cool for jump.

I also played the hell out of Tribes 1 & 2.

16. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 14:49 Luke

This force facebook keeps getting better and better.............not  

15. Re: Tribes: Ascend Alpha Key Giveaway Sep 16, 2011, 14:30 Overon

Man, I never liked this Facebook based advertising contest bullshit.

I don't like the odds of winning and therefore it's not even worth the few minutes it would take to do this. I have my pride and self respect and if I jumped through those hoops I would have my pride and self respect lessened.

Your results may vary.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo