Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Island Ships 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide

IndustryGamers has word from publisher Deep Silver that Dead Island shipments in North America have passed the one million mark in less than a week, and they expect Techland's new zombie game's shipments to surpass two million units worldwide by the end of the week. "We’re thrilled at the retail reception Dead Island has achieved in its first few days," said Geoff Mulligan, Chief Operating Officer at Deep Silver, "The critical ‘first week’ of game sales has been an enormous sales success for Deep Silver. We’re working quickly with our distribution partner in North America, Square Enix, to restock shelves as quickly as we can." Update: Clarified these reported numbers reflect shipments, not sales.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 16, 2011, 11:39 MattyC

PHJF wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 12:07:
The entire game is coop except the prologue (the bit in the hotel), but the prologue can be skipped.

Good to hear, I might be picking this up. I do love good co-op. It is what has made the Gears of War games so awesome for me when otherwise they aren't that special.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 23:33 Krovven

And they aren't talking merely about PC sales. Many of the problems on the PC version did not exist in the console versions. Not to mention, a large chunk of game players do not follow every little drip feed of information about every game.

Word of mouth on the PC version has also been that of "the game is really fun, just buggy". People also know that the major issues, wrong version and disabled coop have been fixed for a week now.

30. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 21:40 Kitkoan

Krovven wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 21:11:
Kitkoan wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 20:11:
The public says they don't like them but sales show they can't get enough of crappy ports.

Yea, I guess we all forgot to look in our crystal balls to find out before the release just how buggy it was going to be and that they would accidentally release the wrong build launch night.

Please read what the summery says again.
Dead Island sales in North America have passed the one million mark in less than a week, and they expect Techland's new zombie game's sales to surpass two million units worldwide by the end of the week.
That means many of these sales weren't presale, but were from after launch. When it was know it was buggy.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

29. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 21:11 Krovven

Kitkoan wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 20:11:
The public says they don't like them but sales show they can't get enough of crappy ports.

Yea, I guess we all forgot to look in our crystal balls to find out before the release just how buggy it was going to be and that they would accidentally release the wrong build launch night.

28. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 20:11 Kitkoan

And this is why companies keep shipping out horrible ports that are buggy as hell. The public says they don't like them but sales show they can't get enough of crappy ports. Why should a company also spend money in proper QA when they can sell this kind of garbage and let the paying customer spend money for the "honour" of being the QA? The game was so buggy there is no way they couldn't have seen many of these issues before they happened. Even better, if the game doesn't sell well, they can always just not bother patching it at all. Patch it only if it sells x copies. Save even more money  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

27. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 18:09 PropheT

Asmo wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 11:44:
The only problem I've found is after a long play session you get texture tears but this can be fixed by quitting/restarting.

If they're the same weird stretching things as the ones I've seen (GTX570), you don't even need to do that much. Just a quick alt-tab and you're back in the game with the textures sorted back out, only takes a second or two and you're good again for a while.

26. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 17:21 Dev

bhcompy wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 13:15:
Quite the statement. Nothing beats Serious Sam for coop, though.
I hear that!
So why aren't they selling 4 packs? I have 2 or 3 friends (and of course myself) who want the new SS when it comes out to play some more awesome co-op.

25. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 15:46 Krovven

Clean the fans in your comp. Sounds like an overheating issue.

24. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 14:27 TheFragMan

Dead Island still causes my computer to stroke out. After a few minutes of playing, everything goes black and unresponsive. Shortly after that, all the case fans kick into overdrive, and the most god-awful demon noises start emanating from the tower.

Logically, it seems like a graphics driver problem, but I still can't help but think that it has been infected with a zombie virus.

- Frag

23. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 13:59 jacobvandy

Bugs aside, you can't deny that the game is VERY fun to a lot of people. A buggy game selling well doesn't mean that people don't care about bugs, it just means that the game is good enough that they don't matter so much. I loved it, and had relatively few bugs in the PC version, even in the first few hours playing the accidentally-released dev build. Mods will extend the life of this game for a good while, too. I'm happy to see it's been a financial success already, so they continue to support it officially; is the 1 million just for retail?  

22. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 13:44 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 11:07:
Release a broken-ass game? No problem, it'll still sell.

It's slightly depressing when you start correlating marketing spend to game sales and see that it tracks better than almost any other metric.

The same can be said for campaign budgets and election results.

21. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 13:29 Creston

NicklePop wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 12:06:
Best coop experience of my life - 1 AM, a few beers, 3 friends - unbelievable fun.

I can think of a few more fun coop experiences at 1AM with some friends and a few beers...

Oh, wait, you were talking about games! okay.

Creston

20. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 13:15 bhcompy

NicklePop wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 12:06:
Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 11:56:
I am contemplating a double purchase of this game so I can play coop w/ a family member. Can someone who owns it let me know if the full storyline is coop or are there separate coop missions? I ask because if I buy w/ the intent to play coop then I'd like to have a lot of content (since I may pay full price vs bargain bin). TIA.

The full game is coop.

Best coop experience of my life - 1 AM, a few beers, 3 friends - unbelievable fun.

Can't recommend this game enough, best coop game ever made IMO.

Quite the statement. Nothing beats Serious Sam for coop, though.

19. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 13:10 Fibrocyte

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll likely pick the game up soon and have some coop fun.  

18. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 13:02 Ruffiana

nin wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 10:28:
I'm surprised it's doing that well. It's not bad, but I didn't expect them to hit 1M out of the gate.

I guess this means we're in for a string of mediocre Zombie games instead of the one really great Zombie game that everyone really wants.

17. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 12:41 Acleacius

To their credit Techland did put out 3 patches in the first two weeks. Secondly why would some of the experienced gamers in this thread blame a developer for releasing a game early? Come on you guys know developers don't make those decisions. Well indie developers do, but atm Techland isn't an indie.

Techland has released an editor for each of their games, iirc. So there is room to hope for a full editor.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 12:07 PHJF

The entire game is coop except the prologue (the bit in the hotel), but the prologue can be skipped.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 12:06 NicklePop

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 11:56:
I am contemplating a double purchase of this game so I can play coop w/ a family member. Can someone who owns it let me know if the full storyline is coop or are there separate coop missions? I ask because if I buy w/ the intent to play coop then I'd like to have a lot of content (since I may pay full price vs bargain bin). TIA.

The full game is coop.

Can't recommend this game enough, best coop game ever made IMO.

14. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 11:56 Fibrocyte

13. Re: Dead Island Sells 1M in North America, Approaches 2M Worldwide Sep 15, 2011, 11:44 Asmo

Verno wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 11:20:
I was referring to Dead Island, your comparison was silly. The 360s problems are permanent in certain SKUs, Dead Island was mostly fixed up in under a week. Setting FoV is not a game breaking issue for most people, sorry. Most of the settings in Dead Island Helper are useful tweaks but not game breaking technical issues that are in any way comparable to having a broken console.

True.

Now there's even an \out\ file fix for eyefinity that works almost perfectly.

Yes, the game devs should have had this shit sorted on release, but at least the game isn't locked down to the point the community can't apply the relatively easy fixes that it has.

Game has gone from completely unplayable (I use ESDF which conflicts with the multitude of perm bindings to the F key which aren't changeable from the in game key configs) to virtually bug free. The only problem I've found is after a long play session you get texture tears but this can be fixed by quitting/restarting.

It's certainly not the most polished diamond, but it still offers some fun co-op times.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo