Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots

The PlanetSide 2 Website has some new screenshots from the upcoming MMO shooter sequel, along with some details about the game from creative director Matthew Higby (thanks PlanetSide Universe). Here's his outline of their goals for the sequel:

Our goal with PlanetSide 2 is to create a game where you will fight against and alongside thousands of players, competing simultaneously and directly against one another in massive battles featuring intense infantry action as well as incredible air and ground vehicle combat. You will be able to traverse enormous open-world maps featuring massive gameplay space and unique biospheres, punctuated by massive facilities, towers and bunkers. Persistent conquest warfare is facilitated by territory control where you will earn resources to unlock weapon add-ons, vehicle customizations, and more. No instancing here, everything is 100% PVP and 100% open world combat. And of course, a deep character customization and personalization will allow players to create your very own soldier, customize your weapons and vehicles to fit not only your own personal play style but the needs of your outfit or the entire empire.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 16, 2011, 19:47 Trevellian

Kedyn wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 19:05:
JoeNapalm wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 10:23:
Drezden wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 07:43:
C22 Konried/Emerald for life, bitches. See you on the battlefield.

Hooyah!

Wait...what faction? *Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Wasn't C22 a TR outfit?

We were TR during Beta and at Release. I was our Assault Commander actually, TrevellianC22, one of the early CR5's on the server. When we got consolidated to Emerald we went VS because the pop was unbalanced in TR's favor. We'll most likely be sticking VS for this game because goddamnit, the magriders are the funnest tanks.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 19:05 Kedyn

JoeNapalm wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 10:23:

Hooyah!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Wasn't C22 a TR outfit?

15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 10:23 JoeNapalm

Hooyah!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 09:13 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 07:59:
World of Tanks has the F2P formula nailed down pretty well.

Assuming that there will be an XP and/or an item progression tree, its pretty simple to implement some analog method.

The entire game is F2P, but earning credits and XP is increased by a % when you purchase a premium account.

Aditionally they can add some extra equipment/items/vehicles/whatever that cost gold (or whatever real-cash currency they choose to use) that cant be had by regular means.

Personally I like WoT system, although some might argue that a faster leveling progression for paying user is Pay2Win.

WoT has a good formula, but it might be incompatible if they stick with the same progression that Planetside had. I'd prefer no individual item/vehicle XP or "gold" to purchase said vehicle as well.

13. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 07:59 InBlack

World of Tanks has the F2P formula nailed down pretty well.

Assuming that there will be an XP and/or an item progression tree, its pretty simple to implement some analog method.

The entire game is F2P, but earning credits and XP is increased by a % when you purchase a premium account.

Aditionally they can add some extra equipment/items/vehicles/whatever that cost gold (or whatever real-cash currency they choose to use) that cant be had by regular means.

Personally I like WoT system, although some might argue that a faster leveling progression for paying user is Pay2Win.

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 07:43 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

11. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 04:21 J

I had a lot of fun times in PS, and yes, I even liked the BFRs. If unprepared, or with a skilled player, the BFRs could do a lot of damage and be a real menace. But against prepared players or if the BFR controller becomes complacent, it wasn't that hard to take them down.

Good times, good times

10. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 02:29 Cutter

Fion wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 22:52:
Yea when you got interesting battles between hundreds of people on the server that lasted days with actual strategy involved, each side struggling to take territory and defend it, it was a unique experience in gaming IMHO and while it wasn't very often you had enough players to achieve this, it really made the game fun.

Really looking forward to the sequel. I do wonder what the payment system will be. PS1 really didn't do that great with a standard $15 a month fee because it just didn't feel worth it often so I'm hoping they don't go with that. I'd rather see buy to pay with microtransactions that don't give those who buy them a direct advantage on the battlefield. Things like character slots, unique outfits, xp potions, custom skins for your vehicle, etc.

Once again, I never understood the $15 per or F2P thing when they could easily tier gameplay into $5, $10 and $15 with F2P. With all the offerings out there and general lack of new content for that $15 per, I think that number is all but over and $5 is closer to where they should be coupled with microtransactions. I know this is a game I'd pick up and play once in a while, but not enough to sustain a monthly fee for any stretch. However, if it were $5 or $10 per month, I'd do that in spurts when I felt the itch. And I'd really rather do it with what they're doing here than crap like BF or COD. I'm actually quite anxious to try this. Hopefully we could gt enough peeps from around here to show the young punks how the old schoolers can kick it...and by it I mean their asses.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 15, 2011, 00:46 Nate

SOE has apparently always planned for this to be F2P. They just haven't decided exactly how they are going to do it. The devs have said that there won't be any pay-to-win at all.

Some of my favorite gaming memories are from the first PlanetSide. Tearing things up in the tank or the one man tank (Lightning).

Taking or defending the towers and bases could also be quite intense.

Can't wait for the beta which should be this year.

8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 14, 2011, 23:37  Blue 

space captain wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 23:31:
Really looking forward to the sequel. I do wonder what the payment system will be.

its free-to-play... apparently thats the new hotness for MMOs

I believe the reports that said that were based on an iffy translation, and that this hasn't been confirmed. It will probably end up F2P, as the follow-up to that involved expressing admiration for the League of Legends model, but AFAIK, this is speculation at this point.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 14, 2011, 23:31 space captain

Really looking forward to the sequel. I do wonder what the payment system will be.

its free-to-play... apparently thats the new hotness for MMOs

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 14, 2011, 22:52 Fion

Yea when you got interesting battles between hundreds of people on the server that lasted days with actual strategy involved, each side struggling to take territory and defend it, it was a unique experience in gaming IMHO and while it wasn't very often you had enough players to achieve this, it really made the game fun.

Really looking forward to the sequel. I do wonder what the payment system will be. PS1 really didn't do that great with a standard $15 a month fee because it just didn't feel worth it often so I'm hoping they don't go with that. I'd rather see buy to pay with microtransactions that don't give those who buy them a direct advantage on the battlefield. Things like character slots, unique outfits, xp potions, custom skins for your vehicle, etc.

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 14, 2011, 22:33 ColoradoHoudini

hip hip hooray!

Really looking forward to this. Hundreds, if not thousands of players fighting it out over territories in giant PvP battles.. gonna be awesome.
Never in any other MMO that I've played (from any genre) have I ever experienced the "wow.. this is truly an epic moment" like I did in PS1.

4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 14, 2011, 22:10 Kegaro

AWESOME!!!

Can't wait for this one.

3. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 14, 2011, 21:12 PropheT

Those are some nice screenies.  

2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 14, 2011, 20:44 The Half Elf

All I want to know is WHEN we get to play it. Nothing else matters.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Details and Screenshots Sep 14, 2011, 20:41 Lorcin

Is that chris griffin in the red shirt?  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo