Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Scrolls Lawsuit Update

The Word of Notch exhibits the Minecraft creator's typical bluntness and humor in offering an update on the legal dust up between Mojang and Bethesda ver the Scrolls trademark

I’ve received some questions about what the status of the Bethesda lawsuit thing is. I don’t have much news, but I can try to summarize the recent events in a colorful way:

Lawyers have been sending papers back and forth, threatening each other with deadlines and court dates. “Why don’t we settle this in a mature way?”, one party asks the other. “Your MOTHER settles things in mature ways”, the other party cleverly retorts, “because of her age.”

Last thing I heard, we were a couple of weeks past a “super seriously, we will sue you for real this time” deadline, and letters are still being sent back and forth.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 16, 2011, 01:08 saluk

I bet you Notch is still going to buy Skyrim.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 11:14 Creston

I love that the lawyer has to explain the "Yo Momma!" joke. That just slayed me.

Creston

19. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 10:09 Zptr

Longswd wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 22:51:
I won't be buying either for this reason. 2 games I was looking forward to that I will not be purchasing now, Skyrim and D3. I hope Rage and SWTOR will keep me entertained till the next round of "games I'm looking forward to".

Rage may not be made by Bethesda, but they sure as well will be profiting from it. Way to stick it to Notch, Judas!

http://blog.playscifi.com

18. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 09:13 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 00:47:
I'm a little surprised it isn't just a working title, and it may be and he's just having some fun.
If this is true, Notch gets major bonus points from me.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 09:07 Dev

hansmuff wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 01:15:
In response to #9.
BTW, there's an EDIT button.

16. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 06:30 Jonny

I don't know anything about copyright law, but if their lawyers thought they actually had a case that could stand up in court wouldn't they have just served a lawsuit after he refused to budge? All of this sounds like they're pushing to get an out of court settlement because they know they've not got a reasonable chance of success.  

15. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 06:04 CommunistHamster

Notch is the underdog again, and I like it, and I like him.  

14. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 02:22 Paranoid Jack

You better copyright that name or do you plan on a lawsuit if he uses it?  

13. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 01:18 Silicon Avatar

Whatever, I'm playing Skyrim.

I just don't care that much about Notch's legal problems when they would take him about 2 seconds to solve.

Zodonafell. There Notch. I gave your new game a better name than Scrolls.

12. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 01:15 hansmuff

In response to #9.  

11. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 01:14 hansmuff

Oh good, you have found a lame excuse to not pay for the work of others. That's right, you go show that corporate america who is boss, what with the pirating and all! Good Job!  

10. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 15, 2011, 00:47 Beamer

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 22:59:
I'm not going to publish all of Bethesda for this because a) 99% of their staff have nothing to do with it and b) US copyright law is so fucked I'm not even sure their lawyers are wrong to be concerned.

Yup and yup.

Easiest thing would be for Notch to change the name. Scrolls is bland, generic and dull regardless. I'm a little surprised it isn't just a working title, and it may be and he's just having some fun.
One word titles can be awesome, or they can be bland. Scrolls is bland. May as well be Parchment or Manuscript.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 14, 2011, 23:26 Ludomancer

Because of this stupidity, Skyrim can meet my bittorrent client. I used to buy every Elderscrolls release on day one. The ONLY series I ever did that with. Ever.

I'm not a mindless fan of either side here, but I really detest corporate america and their inability to act responsibly.

8. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 14, 2011, 23:10 Grokk

I'm not boycotting anything either.

Mostly I couldn't care less about lawsuits over names, I just want to play games.
If they create good games without all the bullshit, then I'll gladly pay them.

7. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 14, 2011, 22:59 StingingVelvet

I'm not going to publish all of Bethesda for this because a) 99% of their staff have nothing to do with it and b) US copyright law is so fucked I'm not even sure their lawyers are wrong to be concerned.  

6. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 14, 2011, 22:55 Tumbler

I can't in good conscience fund Bethesda's potential lawsuit, so I won't be buying Skyrim and I encourage the rest of you to do the same. Cut it the fuck out, Bethesda.

Well I'm not going to buy it but if it shows up in my mailbox I will play it. I don't see what everyone is so crazy excited about. It looks good but so did Oblivion...just seems a little generic. I will pop it in once it arrives though.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 14, 2011, 22:51 Longswd

Riker wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 21:59:
I can't in good conscience fund Bethesda's potential lawsuit, so I won't be buying Skyrim and I encourage the rest of you to do the same. Cut it the fuck out, Bethesda.

I won't be buying either for this reason. 2 games I was looking forward to that I will not be purchasing now, Skyrim and D3. I hope Rage and SWTOR will keep me entertained till the next round of "games I'm looking forward to".

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

4. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 14, 2011, 21:59 Riker

3. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 14, 2011, 21:50 Cutter

Well, if this lawsuit starts moving into the territory of costing millions of dollars will he still think it's so funny?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Scrolls Lawsuit Update Sep 14, 2011, 21:10 Fletch

Where do Bethesda mothers get their clothes? At the toilet store?

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo