Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details

The Eidos Montreal Tumblr Blog answers some fan-submitted questions to shed some light on The Missing Link, the upcoming DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution (thanks nin). This includes word that it will not be free, some details on characters, and more on what it involves. Here are some selected answers:

“The new characters are Netanya Keitner and Pieter Burke. Both work for Belltower Associates. More info on them soon! And while it is not essential in any way to have read The Icarus Effect, it is certainly a good idea to do so not only because the DLC has subtle references to it, but also because it’s a great novel, period.”

“The Missing Link, while it is narratively tied with the main game, will be a separate item on the main menu. That way you’ll be able to enjoy it no matter where your saves are in the main game.”

“The Missing Link will be paid downloadable content. We will reveal the price a bit later! And you can play the DLC from any point in the game.”

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 16, 2011, 02:44 Jerykk

No, that's just all you are focusing on. I said I was having a hard time getting into the story because of the distractions from the graphics issues, bad models and bad animations. This is a very legitimate concern, and some of which cannot be fixed.

I'm pretty sure graphics, models and animations all fall under "presentation." DX and SS2 also suffered from poor graphics, models and animation.

If the stuttering is not fixed in the patch today, I will try those DX drivers. But if those still do not work, then the game is likely shelved for me. The stuttering was sort of tolerable in the first hub, but in China, it's unbearable.

I guess we're just sensitive to different things. While I definitely experienced stuttering in the hubs, it didn't really affect gameplay for me because I wasn't sneaking around or fighting when any of the stutters occurred. In addition, the stuttering was linked to level streaming so it always happened in the same spots and was predictable. If the stuttering was prevalent in the mission levels, that would be another matter entirely.

The game is best played as Stealth. Playing any other way, the game just is not as good. I'm playing mostly as a shooter, but there are very few Augs that actually have any meaningful benefit to a shooter style player. Not to mention, there are areas that I'm forced into playing stealth, which is not how I've been trying to play the game.

Again, these complaints were also applicable to the original DX and SS2. Both games were better if you went the stealth route. Also, which missions forced you to play stealthy? If I recall correctly, you could go guns blazing in any mission. It wasn't always the best option, but stealth wasn't always the best option either.

I've even gone back and replayed Uncharted 2 twice, once on Hard and again on Crushing since DXHR came out. U2, now that's an engaging story and very fun gameplay.

To each their own. I enjoyed the characters in DX:HR and I really loved all the little (and not so little) details you could discover about them by exploring, hacking, talking to all the NPCs, eavesdropping on NPC conversations, etc. Like in Fallout, the backstory in DX:HR is largely optional. If you just rush through the game, you'll get the very basics through the critical path cinematics and conversations. However, if you take the time and effort to read all the e-mails, PDAs, eBooks, newspapers, TV news tickers, etc, you'll learn a lot more about the world and the characters you meet. It often feels like you're a detective and if you pay enough attention, you can actually predict the majority of the plot twists. I really love this style of storytelling, as I feel it makes the most out of an interactive medium like videogames. If a game tries to be a movie (like Uncharted), I find myself zoning out and not caring because the story is being shoved down my throat.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 20:53 Krovven

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 20:02:
If you have an nVidia card

I was using my nVidia 8800 GTS 512mb, the game ran alright, but I was experiencing the stuttering.

A friend gave me his Radeon HD 4890 1gig. Every other game I own runs better, and with higher settings. Deus Ex...seems to actually stutter more. Hard to say for sure as I moved on to China not long after I got the new card.

I have the side off my comp, and I can hear Deus Ex putting the video card through the ringer. Whenever the stuttering starts the card fan tries to ramp up, and stutters and clicks along with the stuttering in the game. No other game does this. I've tried Crysis 2, Metro 2033, Witcher 2...all at max settings, and no problems.

31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 20:46 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 19:36:
Your complaints seem to center primarily on superficial issues like presentation.

No, that's just all you are focusing on. I said I was having a hard time getting into the story because of the distractions from the graphics issues, bad models and bad animations. This is a very legitimate concern, and some of which cannot be fixed.

If the stuttering is not fixed in the patch today, I will try those DX drivers. But if those still do not work, then the game is likely shelved for me. The stuttering was sort of tolerable in the first hub, but in China, it's unbearable.

The gameplay is at it's best if played entirely Stealth, otherwise it doesn't really hold much challenge. This is where playing it your own way falls apart.

The game is best played as Stealth. Playing any other way, the game just is not as good. I'm playing mostly as a shooter, but there are very few Augs that actually have any meaningful benefit to a shooter style player. Not to mention, there are areas that I'm forced into playing stealth, which is not how I've been trying to play the game.

Everytime I load it up to try and get into it again, I'm bored by the time I've finished a quest or two.

Being bored, has nothing to do with the graphics or performance. I just haven't found the game all that engaging. I've found a lot of it to be much like work. ie: the dialogue scenes in DX, they bore me. Most of the time I could care less what they have to say (Tong [at the bar] in The Hive was an exception, he was a great character), as most are uninteresting characters and in many cases, their voice does not suit the character. Last night I decided to load up some SC2 and replay some missions on Hard, etc. The dialogue scenes...the characters are interesting and deliver their dialogue very well and I listen to them, even though I've heard it before.

I've even gone back and replayed Uncharted 2 twice, once on Hard and again on Crushing since DXHR came out. U2, now that's an engaging story and very fun gameplay.

For me, this is not the 9 or 9.5 out of 10 game that many people say it is. Despite the bugs and bad launch of Dead Island, it has turned out to be a far more fun game to play than Deus Ex. But I'd only rate it slightly higher than DX at 7.5, due to all the other problems DI has.

Ideally a game with the total package, story, sound, art, design and most importantly gameplay, comes together to make a great game. Deus Ex just doesn't live up to much of that, the biggest being gameplay.
It just boils down to there being games that are more fun to play.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2011, 21:03.

30. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 20:02 ^Drag0n^

Krovven wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 14:34:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 04:26:
Did you enjoy the original DX or System Shock 2? They both suffered from the very same issues (relative to their time, of course).

Of course I did and liked them. But lets fast forward 12 years, suggesting that it's ok for DXHR to have the same issues (along with some of it's own) as similar games from 12+ years ago is ridiculous. DXHR as far as I'm concerned only succeeds at a handful of things, and fails at another handful of things. It's a 7/10 game for me, and one I'm not even sure I'm going to bother finishing.

Edit: I'll give the drivers a try. The games performance is probably the biggest thing preventing me from enjoying it.

If you have an nVidia card, go to the "Manage 3d settings" in the driver control panel, and set "maximum pre-rendered frames" to "0" (Default is "3".). This one issue seems to be the bane of many-a-nVidia user (and, as I said when I first posted it, I still have no idea why the frak you would want to "render ahead" frames you're going to throw out anyway....).

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

29. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 19:36 Jerykk

Of course I did and liked them. But lets fast forward 12 years, suggesting that it's ok for DXHR to have the same issues (along with some of it's own) as similar games from 12+ years ago is ridiculous.

Your complaints seem to center primarily on superficial issues like presentation. DX and SS2 both suffered from poor presentations when they were released, so if you were able to overlook those issues back then, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to now.

28. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 14:34 Krovven

Did you enjoy the original DX or System Shock 2? They both suffered from the very same issues (relative to their time, of course).

Of course I did and liked them. But lets fast forward 12 years, suggesting that it's ok for DXHR to have the same issues (along with some of it's own) as similar games from 12+ years ago is ridiculous. DXHR as far as I'm concerned only succeeds at a handful of things, and fails at another handful of things. It's a 7/10 game for me, and one I'm not even sure I'm going to bother finishing.

Edit: I'll give the drivers a try. The games performance is probably the biggest thing preventing me from enjoying it.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2011, 14:50.

27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 14:27 Wolfen

The story seems alright, but I have a hard time getting into it due to the distraction of the bad character models and animations. I've played some stealthy and some as a shooter, putting points primarily into Hacking. The gameplay is at it's best if played entirely Stealth, otherwise it doesn't really hold much challenge. This is where playing it your own way falls apart.

Did you enjoy the original DX or System Shock 2? They both suffered from the very same issues (relative to their time, of course). If you did not enjoy both games, your PC Gamer Cred has officially been revoked.

For me, DX:HR's greatest strengths were its open-ended level design and ridiculous attention to detail. You can actually ghost your way through the whole game without neutralizing any non-bosses. Many of your choices have tangible, long-term consequences that actually affect gameplay. And the amount of backstory is insane. I loved reading all the e-mails, newspapers, PDAs and listening to the NPC conversations. If you're thorough enough, you can predict most of the story's big twists long before they happen. There were also a lot of subtle references to the original, which is much appreciated in an age where sequels and/or reboots of classic franchises usually pretend the previous games never existed.

As for performance, you may want to try the ENBSeries mod here: http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm. It improves your framerate and reduces the stuttering that happens in the game's hubs.

I use this and can vouch for it. It does indeed remove the stuttering issues and I did indeed see some speed improvement. I have everything maxed now and it runs fine.

26. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 14:25 Wolfen

Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 11:30:
Wolfen wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 22:16:
Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 16:57:
Shame that it's separate. I guess you can always play right up until you get into the container, play the DLC, then continue back with the main game, but it would have been nice had that just gone seamlessly.

Creston

Treading on spoiler thin ice there man. Now I know there is some damn container at the end. Thanks. =P

Sorry buddy. I'm glad I didn't mention you have the opportunity to hack something in the final mission.

Oh, shi...

Creston

DOUBLE CURSE YOU!!!!

25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 11:30 Creston

Shame that it's separate. I guess you can always play right up until you get into the container, play the DLC, then continue back with the main game, but it would have been nice had that just gone seamlessly.

Creston

Treading on spoiler thin ice there man. Now I know there is some damn container at the end. Thanks. =P

Sorry buddy. I'm glad I didn't mention you have the opportunity to hack something in the final mission.

Oh, shi...

Creston

24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 10:13 Lobster

Not really a big fan of the, "enemy perspective" DLC.  

23. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 09:22 nin

when it comes to having fun reading is the last thing on my mind.

Wow.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 05:43 Rockn-Roll

I'm looking forward to this...yes it's like a very short full-term Deus Ex: Human Revolution game...rebuilding everything from scratch. I wouldn't say that it gets stripped down again...because at the end of the DLC segment that part of the game figuratively ends. I suppose we could imagine that the pod itself has some sort of bio-electric functionality which, for safety reasons, disables the augmented circuitry while the passenger is in transit and stores the technological configuration for when the person wakes up at the end of the voyage. But, apparently Jensen wakes up before the voyage has completed and the pod can't restore Jensen's technology yet. He must then get some praxis kits on the ship and use them...then before the voyage ends he gets back into the pod and it restores his original augmentation. The only thing I don't like is another boss battle...running around shooting at the same enemy over and over and then later realize that there's a trick to ending it with less pain...not fun.

Uhm...though I would like to say that it's very strange for a developer to try to coax us into reading. I read mostly for relaxation or learning something that I can use...when it comes to having fun reading is the last thing on my mind.

Let's Rock!

21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 04:26 Jerykk

The story seems alright, but I have a hard time getting into it due to the distraction of the bad character models and animations. I've played some stealthy and some as a shooter, putting points primarily into Hacking. The gameplay is at it's best if played entirely Stealth, otherwise it doesn't really hold much challenge. This is where playing it your own way falls apart.

Did you enjoy the original DX or System Shock 2? They both suffered from the very same issues (relative to their time, of course). If you did not enjoy both games, your PC Gamer Cred has officially been revoked.

For me, DX:HR's greatest strengths were its open-ended level design and ridiculous attention to detail. You can actually ghost your way through the whole game without neutralizing any non-bosses. Many of your choices have tangible, long-term consequences that actually affect gameplay. And the amount of backstory is insane. I loved reading all the e-mails, newspapers, PDAs and listening to the NPC conversations. If you're thorough enough, you can predict most of the story's big twists long before they happen. There were also a lot of subtle references to the original, which is much appreciated in an age where sequels and/or reboots of classic franchises usually pretend the previous games never existed.

As for performance, you may want to try the ENBSeries mod here: http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm. It improves your framerate and reduces the stuttering that happens in the game's hubs.

20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 01:38 StingingVelvet

Ray Marden wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 18:38:
That is one of my biggest problems with DLC. I ended up putting 45 hours into DE, but I am done with now.

Exactly. And as a loyal fan I will likely buy it, but then it will either wait for me to play the whole game again or it will be done in 3 hours and leave me wanting.

I miss expansions for a lot of reasons, but length is a big one. An expansion gave you real reason to break the game out again. Some DLC like Fallout: New Vegas' does that, but few others.

19. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 15, 2011, 01:32 Tanto Edge

Jesus really? So it's basically a side story that has little to do with the main drive.
Christ, ten dollars extra got you sweet fuck all (augmented edition my ass) and now they're bringing what, maybe four hours of single player?
I'll bet it's fifteen dollars ($14.99).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

18. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 14, 2011, 23:57 Acleacius

Yeah, looks like it was a hoax. No way this was intended, they just made this up. I defiantly worried it will take away from the cohesiveness of the main story.

Imagine how Deus Ex, would have been once JC was sent to the tropical zombie island paradise had his augs removed and tortured, then when you wake up in the cell there was absolutely no mention or hint of this ever taking place.

Think the correct word would be hearsay. Middlefinger

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

17. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 14, 2011, 23:07 Wolfen

nin wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 22:46:

Creston

The last boss is a giant crate.

CURSE YOU ALL!!!

16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 14, 2011, 22:46 nin

Creston

The last boss is a giant crate.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 14, 2011, 22:34 Krovven

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm finding it hard to get into Deus Ex. The game doesn't run well on my system, turning down settings doesn't help. A friend even gave me a better video card, still doesnt run well. The animations are pretty bad and the character movement is clunky. Nevermind the yellow color palette across the entire game.

Everytime I load it up to try and get into it again, I'm bored by the time I've finished a quest or two. Finding it difficult to even bother trying to finish it.

Rage, Arkham City and Uncharted 3 can't come soon enough.

14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC Details Sep 14, 2011, 22:16 Wolfen

Creston

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo