Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Max Payne 3 Trailer

Rockstar's Max Payne 3 Page now offers the promised first trailer from Max Payne 3, featuring a cinematic look at Max's fast motion descent from slow motion cop to the sloppy world-weary Max we've seen in previous teasers for the upcoming third-person shooter sequel.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 15, 2011, 07:56 Nuhauser

I wanted to see some amazing "John Woo 1990s" inspired action sequences but all I got was "he shaved his head and left his beard". What the fuck is that about? Not impressed, pick it up Rockstar!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 15, 2011, 06:08 CommunistHamster

reisub wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 20:14:
Ray Marden wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 18:11:
He looks way too aged as well.
To be fair, he aged a fair bit from 1 to 2 so that makes a bit of sense. I wonder if he'll risk breaking his hip every time he dives to the floor in MP4 though.
A lá MGS4!

35. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 15, 2011, 04:35 Jerykk

Nothin' a bottle of painkillers won't fix right up!

Or health regen...

Anywho, at least they appear to be getting the mood right. Morally ambiguous allies? Check. Potentially fatal love interest? Check. Excessively poetic analogies? Didn't hear any in the trailer so we'll have to wait and see. Same for gameplay.

34. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 15, 2011, 00:04 Wowbagger_TIP

reisub wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 20:14:
To be fair, he aged a fair bit from 1 to 2 so that makes a bit of sense. I wonder if he'll risk breaking his hip every time he dives to the floor in MP4 though.
Nothin' a bottle of painkillers won't fix right up!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

33. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 21:14 Beamer

I tried going back to MP2 about 2 years ago and didn't make it through the first level. It felt very crude and I couldn't get hooked.

With some more time passing I want to try again.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 20:14 reisub

31. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 18:11 Ray Marden

At least initially, it does not feel like Max Payne.

Or rather, it comes off like the most basic, crude remake of him. Get a guy with a gun, have it go slow, and have him talk a lot. Yes, that is some of the basic structure of the game, but it is all about the setting and how the mechanics are used. It is like saying every FPS is the same because they are typically about some dude with a gun.

I will have to see how it plays, but this seems more like a reimagined MP than MP3. Sadly, though not unexpected, f*ck Mona apparently. Otherwise, the setting has always bugged me a bit - why is Max here and why does he care about any of these people?

If it plays well, at least it will be an alternative action game. But without the history, setting, flawed introspection, tight gun play, and heavy emoness noir, it just will not be the same. I am not interested in some dude protecting drug dealers.
Hoping there will be some big story/gameplay twist that makes up for this,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

30. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 17:39 Elessar

Cutter wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 14:58:
Yeah, I'm saddened that's it's not the classic noire of the original. I'll take a wait and see approach however.
I'm with you on this one. I think people are just enamored with the Max Payne title and music, for a good reason, but this seems generic to me otherwise.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

29. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 16:44 Sho

Prez wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 15:42:
I was really afraid they were going to turn this into an isometric turn-based strategy game that no one wants.

ROFL.

28. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 16:09 Sepharo

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 15:56:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 15:40:
but then other would have whined. Geez...

I didn't want to disappoint

27. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:56 Muscular Beaver

but then other would have whined. Geez...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

26. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:54 Frijoles

I'm confused. Where is the Max Payne video? That shit above isn't Max Payne.  

25. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:44 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 15:00:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 14:33:
Max Payne is noire, that doesnt fucking mean playing noire music in bright sunlight under fucking palm trees.
I think you should probably look up what Noire actually stands for... I will agree that this looks very different from the first two Max Paynes, but that doesn't mean that "south of the border" stuff in broad daylight can't be Noire.
You know exactly what I mean. I could have said Noir York instead, but then other would have whined. Geez...

York? LA. And besides shadows are everywhere.

24. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:42 Prez

Fion wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:42:
Cant wait! Max Pain 1/2 rank as amongst my fav shooters of all time, I've played them both a dozen times over and enjoyed the hell out of them each time. So very excited about Max Payne 3!

DITTO!!

I was really afraid they were going to turn this into an isometric turn-based strategy game that no one wants.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:40 Muscular Beaver

Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 15:00:
Max Payne is noire, that doesnt fucking mean playing noire music in bright sunlight under fucking palm trees.

I think you should probably look up what Noire actually stands for... I will agree that this looks very different from the first two Max Paynes, but that doesn't mean that "south of the border" stuff in broad daylight can't be Noire.

Creston

You know exactly what I mean. I could have said Noir York instead, but then other would have whined. Geez...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

22. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:40 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 14:48:
Noirish music and voice-over (though not necessarily location, weather or time of day - we'll see)

it looks like the theme they're going for is early 70s, when noir gave way to realism.

Did you see Chinatown? That was noir as shit, was mostly in bright sunlight, and had plenty of palm trees.

You trollin me brah?

I agree to an extent with Sho and others that tone does feel a bit off but hopefully that's just the trailer editing. I suspect the girl is going to be a baddie at least. Beamer is spot on with the Chinatown comparisons, I want to say this is neo-noir influenced but that itself is a strange concept. By definition all noirs post '59 are neo-noirs, so if Max Payne 3 is instead an homage to neo-noirs does that make it neo-neo-noir? Heh.

21. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:12 Sho

FWIW, when I'm complaining about not feeling the vibe, I'm not talking about the setting so much as what the presentation is placing emphasis on. In particular the writing style of the voiceovers in this one feels nothing like Max Payne to me. The Max Payne voiceovers had this strange quality that made them feel slightly detached from the action and far more internal to the character; this just does bog-standard exposition for a bog-standard action setup intercut with bog-standard actual dialog scenes.

Having a little noire tune bookend it and an over-the-top gritty voice just isn't enough, it's the words that matter. Nothing about this feels special.

And the animation in the cutscenes, the way shots are framed and cut and the way characters move - it's far too immediate, there's nothing of the the sort of dramatic pause and lingering shots the Payne feel needs. It looks way too much like GTA/Rockstar-style.

DXHR is a great example of a new studio 'getting' the feel of an established franchise and remaining faithful to it while putting their own spin on things. This isn't.

20. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:07 Strango

Max Payne 3: Man on Fire

Anyone else notice the plot similarities? Ex-Professional turned drunk hired to a protection detail in a foreign country where a female client gets kidnapped and he goes on a rampage to get her back.

19. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 15:00 Creston

Creston

18. Re: Max Payne 3 Trailer Sep 14, 2011, 14:58 Cutter

Yeah, I'm saddened that's it's not the classic noire of the original. I'll take a wait and see approach however.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo