Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio

British developer Codemasters plans to shutter its Guildford studio, reports Develop, where they say as many as 70 jobs may be lost as a result. This was their first-person shooter studio that took over the Operation Flashpoint franchise and most recently created Bodycount, a console shooter which met with lukewarm reviews and sales. Word is they will refocus future efforts on its racing franchises, DiRT, GRID, F1 Online, and an unannounced IP. They have this quote from a spokesperson: "As we look to take greater leadership in the racing category, Codemasters is proposing a studio structure that adds resource and strengthens our best-in-class racing teams."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 19:27 SM0k3

good, make them all pay for releasing garbage and ignoring loyal fanbase for all these years.

I kid, I kid!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 16:35 Muscular Beaver

Like I care if some console crap studio closes. For all I care they can all die off until something true to art rises again from their ashes.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

11. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 15:20 Prez

Dragon Rising is a great time in coop. Too bad about the unemployed developers.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 14:50 StingingVelvet

Darks wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 14:44:
If you are referring to OFRR then I donít understand what you are talking about. There was nothing laughable about the game. it was a good solid shooter and a lot of fun Coop. The only real annoyance I had with this game was the Loud mouth SSGT who cussed way too much and talked down to his troops like there were the lowest life form on the planet. The other was the locked down leash they had us on when trying to go out of bounds. OFDR was much better in this regard. Other then that the game was fun.

I was talking about Bodycount.

9. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 14:44 Darks

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 13:41:
I watched a quicklook of their game on giantbomb and it was so bad it was literally laughable.

If you are referring to OFRR then I donít understand what you are talking about. There was nothing laughable about the game. it was a good solid shooter and a lot of fun Coop. The only real annoyance I had with this game was the Loud mouth SSGT who cussed way too much and talked down to his troops like there were the lowest life form on the planet. The other was the locked down leash they had us on when trying to go out of bounds. OFDR was much better in this regard. Other then that the game was fun.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

8. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 13:41 StingingVelvet

I watched a quicklook of their game on giantbomb and it was so bad it was literally laughable.  

7. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 12:39 Beamer

This was telegraphed when the brains behind the studio left halfway through Bodycount. That was a good sign that Bodycount would likely be terrible and that the studio's days may be numbered.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 12:20 Vulkan

Regardless of the new OFPs being crap, it always sucks to hear a studio being shut down and a bunch of people losing their jobs.  

5. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 12:11 LittleMe

Good riddance.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

4. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 11:36 Joss

Darks wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 10:54:
It takes those guys (BIS) months before their game is in any real working order after several patches.
Bohemia have been spitting out updates these last few months like a fiend! Well lookit here... a new beta patch today! Link

3. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 10:56 Shok

They were good at hyping their games so maybe they can get into politics now.  

2. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 10:54 Darks

Zandog wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 10:25:
YES! THE PROCLAMATION COMES TRUE! YOUR LOYAL FOLLOWERS TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN!

The OFP community cried out to CM to make Dragon Rising, which was already a fucking awesome game concept, an even better game with some basic changes. CM said nothing further after the release of OFP:DR. They ignored the community feedback, they ignored pleas for response, they ignored the modding community who stepped up to work with CM to make this game not only work but do well. YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET CM! I torrented Red River, which sucked worse that Dragon Rising out of spite.

Ding dong, the witch is dead! The witch is dead! The witch is dead! Rot in pixel hell, OFP Game Development Management. Your employees deserved better.

ZanDog? Do you know how much they really give a shit about your ranting? About 0.0 percent.

But yep, I saw this one coming a long time ago. They have been ignoring users on their forums for months. Any and all request have been met with total silence. itís a shame to because I did like this game playing Coop. They just need to do more with it. Oh well!

As for ARMA 3, I really dont have much faith in those guys either to make a complete unbuggy game. It takes those guys months before thier game is in any real working order after several patches.

but, they at least dont ignor their fans.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

1. Re: Codemasters Closing Shooter Studio Sep 14, 2011, 10:25 Zandog

YES! THE PROCLAMATION COMES TRUE! YOUR LOYAL FOLLOWERS TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN!

The OFP community cried out to CM to make Dragon Rising, which was already a fucking awesome game concept, an even better game with some basic changes. CM said nothing further after the release of OFP:DR. They ignored the community feedback, they ignored pleas for response, they ignored the modding community who stepped up to work with CM to make this game not only work but do well. YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET CM! I torrented Red River, which sucked worse that Dragon Rising out of spite.

Ding dong, the witch is dead! The witch is dead! The witch is dead! Rot in pixel hell, OFP Game Development Management. Your employees deserved better.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo