Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Lag-Free?

IncGamers has word from the early days of friends and family beta testing of Diablo III that players seem to be experiencing no latency at all while playing the game no matter their location, in spite of its client/server architecture. They have a couple of updates about this since first posting the story, the second of which says they feel they have: "100% confirmation that this is indeed correct! Latency no longer matters at all for combat." Here's word:

F&F sources have it that Blizzard are using a new method of client/server communication that provides a secure and tamper-proof method of using the local client to handle its own calculations, while sending the data to the server for verification. The Client doesnít require the server to respond, hence removing Latency from the equation. The exact technical information of how this works is unknown, particularly how it protects the game from tampering with the client, however it is believed that the server checks all the data that comes from the client, and if it detects tampering it disconnects the client. This eliminates the need for the client to have to wait for a response from the server, and runs as business as usual unless the server doesnít like what the client has sent it.

This is huge news, particularly for players in Australia, New Zealand and other high-latency regions that donít have localized servers. Diablo 3 combat looks very fast-paced and the slightest delay would make the game feel rather broken. As well-illustrated by this monk gameplay video.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

18. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 12:07 Wildone

no no they spent 8+ years developing a quantum network that has FTL capability!! Only Blizzard can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:49 Darks

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 11:12:
I have a hard time believing that they is NO latency.....seems like a marketing ploy.

Thereís no latency because thereís only a hand full of people playing the game. Take it from a Network Admin, to outright claim there is not latency is absurd. There is always latency and always will be, I donít care how you label it but Blizz is full of shit.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:43 kanniballl

Wildone wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 11:26:
How many years in development and its still got bugs like this? What a waste of time, they coulda found the cure for cancer with all that effort..

I hate that phrase / joke. I've heard it elsewhere.

It's like the world hasn't already spent decades, billions and billions of dollars, and thousands-upon-thousands of man hours on the problem already.

The only thing it needed was a few dozen IT people an artists working on it between StarCraft and WoW updates, and a couple million dollars (if that).

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:27  Blue 

shul wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 11:16:
Let's say we take what Blizzard says as face value. This is a very easy mechanism to circumvent , and I am amazed that Blizzard calls this tamper proof (for single player). This game is going to be available for single player through torrents, I'm sure.

As for online gaming (coop,competitive,etc.) there is no way to be lag free since the information coming back is important for the player's decisions and the ongoing flow of the game.

In short, this article is about their DRM and it sucks..

To be clear, there are no quotes from Blizzard in that story.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:26 Wildone

How many years in development and its still got bugs like this? What a waste of time, they coulda found the cure for cancer with all that effort..  

13. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:24 Mashiki Amiketo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 11:12:
I have a hard time believing that they is NO latency.....seems like a marketing ploy.
It's not marketing, it's incgamers runnings with BS like usual. My sister is in the F&F beta, and there's plenty of lag. Both input and general latency.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:16 shul

Let's say we take what Blizzard says as face value. This is a very easy mechanism to circumvent , and I am amazed that Blizzard calls this tamper proof (for single player). This game is going to be available for single player through torrents, I'm sure.

As for online gaming (coop,competitive,etc.) there is no way to be lag free since the information coming back is important for the player's decisions and the ongoing flow of the game.

In short, this article is about their DRM and it sucks..

11. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:12 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:04 Paketep

InBlack wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 10:31:
@coldcut: With Blizzard's experience in online gaming and battle.net do you really believe that its network architecture in Diablo3 is going to suck?

Yes.

9. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 11:01 Wallshadows

I would need to see more information from this from more then just a handful of folks in the F&F beta. Then again, this is not reported by Blizzard itself so I would like to see some official commentary and/or documentation to provide further details as it sounds like it only takes your commands in to account such as abilities and whatnot.

Which brings me to the next point that when a game stutters or is choppy, that's not latency. That's a technical hangup with your system which is affecting the frames per second whereas a network issue is when it takes the server 10 seconds to respond to a click or movement which provides a high ping.

Stuttering FPS =/= High Latency 99% of the time.

Also, Diablo 2 wasn't bad until you got one or two Necromancers spamming the shit out of Bone Wall and Bone Prison. Even after they broke, you could see flashing images of them if you ran around in the area. The game still ran fine but the latency would go through the roof until you remade the game.

I can only see the excuses this will generate though if it's the case when someone gets stomped in PvP since latency would no longer be an excuse.

8. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 10:58 Yakubs

Mist wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 10:19:
I'm in F&F and this report is absolutely not true. The game is very heavily affected by latency.

They're talking about input lag, not latency in general. Have you seen any improvement there after playing recently?

7. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 10:56 kanniballl

InBlack wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 10:13:
I remember how Lagfestic Diablo2 could get, so this is welcome news. Although I have to admit to being a little skeptical about it, I mean ok you can predict how and where the monsters will move and attack but how do you handle the player (and other players)???

Agreed.

If 2 players are playing co-op over a major distance with high latency, and both are hacking away at the same enemy... how is that handled?

It's one thing if one player takes care of one squad of zombies to the north while the other player handles skeletons to the west.

But how does it fairly handle them charging into the middle of a huge squad and hack away. Did the skeleton die before or after he struck a fatal blow against player #2. Why didn't player #1 get the loot even though it looks like he dealt the final blows. If player #2 is lagged, did he waste his "spell of pownage" on nothing? etc

- So either there's lag and you ignore it, in which case things get out of sync or rewards are given out oddly.
- Or you have the lag, and t acts like a traditional lag-fest.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 10:50 Lobster

Not that hard to have lag-free servers in a tightly closed beta.  

5. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 10:50 Lord Tea

well if they expected ANY lag during beta testing with only a tiny fraction of gamers testing the oh-so-great Battle.net then the final version with thousands of users would have been a complete desaster, right? So what is this news telling us? Nothing.  
UPSA = United Police States of America

4. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 10:31 InBlack

@coldcut: With Blizzard's experience in online gaming and battle.net do you really believe that its network architecture in Diablo3 is going to suck?

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 10:23 coldcut

Judging by this video, it looks like it is definitely not running smoothly. The stuttering annoyed me the most, and he even had disconnect issues - well, it's still beta, so there's hoping everything will be better when it comes out...  

2. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 10:19 Mist

I'm in F&F and this report is absolutely not true. The game is very heavily affected by latency.  

1. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 10:13 InBlack

I remember how Lagfestic Diablo2 could get, so this is welcome news. Although I have to admit to being a little skeptical about it, I mean ok you can predict how and where the monsters will move and attack but how do you handle the player (and other players)???  

I have a nifty blue line!

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo