Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Lag-Free?

IncGamers has word from the early days of friends and family beta testing of Diablo III that players seem to be experiencing no latency at all while playing the game no matter their location, in spite of its client/server architecture. They have a couple of updates about this since first posting the story, the second of which says they feel they have: "100% confirmation that this is indeed correct! Latency no longer matters at all for combat." Here's word:

F&F sources have it that Blizzard are using a new method of client/server communication that provides a secure and tamper-proof method of using the local client to handle its own calculations, while sending the data to the server for verification. The Client doesn’t require the server to respond, hence removing Latency from the equation. The exact technical information of how this works is unknown, particularly how it protects the game from tampering with the client, however it is believed that the server checks all the data that comes from the client, and if it detects tampering it disconnects the client. This eliminates the need for the client to have to wait for a response from the server, and runs as business as usual unless the server doesn’t like what the client has sent it.

This is huge news, particularly for players in Australia, New Zealand and other high-latency regions that don’t have localized servers. Diablo 3 combat looks very fast-paced and the slightest delay would make the game feel rather broken. As well-illustrated by this monk gameplay video.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 14:55 Cutter

So Blizzard has circumvented the laws of physics have they?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 14:53 D_K_night

Prez wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 14:32:
Lag-Free? How about DRM-free? Then I'd buy it.

but why would you buy it if it was DRM free? why wouldn't you just download it for free and save yourself the $60?

36. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 14:45 Flatline

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 14:10:
Hah sorry didn't mean to be anal, I just remember that particular one well as being on the Vaporware awards or something one year.

Yeah it was a whopper of a press release. They intended to provide T1 level latency performance over a modem.

Also, what it reads like is that the PC does the calculations for combat client-side before sending it to the server to update. TFA I read mentioned that you click attack and you attack, you don't wait for the 200ms latency between clicking and seeing your attack.

Now that being said, who the f*ck knows what's going on. The damage could be predictive and get overruled 200ms later by the server. Without seeing numbers the player will never know the difference.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2011, 14:51.

35. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 14:32 Prez

Lag-Free? How about DRM-free? Then I'd buy it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 14:11 bhcompy

F&F? Friends and family? Foodies and fuckheads?  

33. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 14:10 Verno

Hah sorry didn't mean to be anal, I just remember that particular one well as being on the Vaporware awards or something one year.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

32. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 14:05 toT

You are correct Verno. Thanks for the correction.  

31. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 14:05 Verno

toT wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 13:54:
If my memory serves me correctly (it may not), this miraculous technology to defeat latency was called... Steam!

It was called PowerPlay and it was a Cisco/Valve partnership that never went beyond being a rather dubious press release

30. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 13:54 toT

Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 13:40:
In any case, it sounds like more of that miraculous deal that Valve started, long ago right after Half Life, that was going to "defeat latency," until John Carmack called bullshit on them. (I forget what it was called.)

If my memory serves me correctly (it may not), this miraculous technology to defeat latency was called... Steam!

29. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 13:40 Creston

Okay, I meant it as a joke, but that obviously didn't come across very well.

In any case, it sounds like more of that miraculous deal that Valve started, long ago right after Half Life, that was going to "defeat latency," until John Carmack called bullshit on them. (I forget what it was called.)

Latency is a fact of life in a packet-switched network, massive client-side prediction or not.

Creston

28. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 13:28 Verno

It's all dependent on routing anyway. It's not like Blizzard has perfected a new technology involving ants carrying packets back and forth at faster than light speeds. There's Aussies who play on my CS server in New York and ping under 100ms. It's just a user report that is essentially meaningless without more feedback and actual testing.  

27. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 13:18 Teddy

Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:49:
"It's amazing! We're experiencing no lag at all, no matter our location! I can use the PC in the break room, or the one in the gym, or the one right next to the server, it all runs smoothly!"

I mean, come on. It's a friends and relatives beta. Odds are those people are pretty close by.

Creston

The person playing in the article was in Australia, incidentally. Now I'm not a geography expert, but I'm pretty sure that's a little ways away from California.

26. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 13:15 Overon

And for their next feet, Blizzard will part the red sea and walk on water and then turn the water into wine. Please. I'm skeptical. This is highly implausible. Ideas like this have been discussed and attempted in the past and there are serious compromises and shortcoming of approaches like this... Show me the evidence. The weight of the evidence will convince me that what is being said is actually true.  

25. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 13:02 eunichron

Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:49:
"It's amazing! We're experiencing no lag at all, no matter our location! I can use the PC in the break room, or the one in the gym, or the one right next to the server, it all runs smoothly!"

I mean, come on. It's a friends and relatives beta. Odds are those people are pretty close by.

Creston

Blizzard's friends & family span a fairly large area, I have a friend with the beta who lives in DC, and he confirms the same, lag/latency is generally non-existent.

24. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 12:58 007Bistromath

Wouldn't this completely screw up PvP? Not that I ever cared about PvP in D2, but I know lots of people did.  

23. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 12:58 Fion

If there is no latency I'd be rather amazed. Having been in Diablo 2 beta the game was so constantly laggy. Not to mention the servers were never up in the first place. Hell they were having server problems the day before release lol.  

22. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 12:49 Creston

Creston

21. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 12:20 DrEvil

Peer to peer client authoritative with server verification seems reasonable. There is no way around latency for perceiving other players, but if the client is authoritative to his own character then at least their own character can be latency free. Presumably though since the AI monsters are server controlled latency will still affect them somewhat, but as long as you interact with whatever the client represents them as at the time it probably doesn't matter.  

20. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 12:07 Teddy

Darks wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 11:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 11:12:
I have a hard time believing that they is NO latency.....seems like a marketing ploy.

There’s no latency because there’s only a hand full of people playing the game. Take it from a Network Admin, to outright claim there is not latency is absurd. There is always latency and always will be, I don’t care how you label it but Blizz is full of shit.

Maybe you should read the statement they made rather than calling them 'full of shit'. They said "Latency no longer matters at all for combat." They never said there is no latency, and more to the point, it wasn't even Blizzard that said it.

What they've suggested is not at all unrealistic. If the client handles the combat and movement calculations and doesn't require that the server respond before it can react to game activity, then the claim is perfectly accurate for your own personal experience.

The questions that remain are simply: What of friends playing with/against you? THAT seems impossible to create a zero latency solution for. And more to the point, what happens when the server doesn't like what the client sends? The theory of an instant disconnect sounds pretty ominous, but then I assume they thought of the possibility of corrupted packets and whatnot.

As well, a consideration is how long the server is willing to wait for it's information and what happens if it's not receiving it as quickly as it would like (issues with satellite connections, etc)

19. Re: Diablo III Lag-Free? Sep 14, 2011, 12:07 Beelzebud

Sounds like bullshit to me.  

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo