Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - The Changing Indie Landscape: Steam Beats Xbox?
"In just five days, our Steam revenue had already surpassed our annual revenue on XBLIG," he reports. While he prefers not to give exact figures, he estimates his five-day Steam earnings to be over $100,000 -- "which, as you can imagine, really impressed us, and has motivated us to make PC games much more of a priority than Xbox."

In Boyd's opinion, the advantage of working with Steam is that it treats indie games and AAA games "pretty much the same. When we released our titles on Steam, we got a front page ad that lasted about a week, and we were placed in the 'new releases' and 'top sellers' lists, which gave us a huge promotional push that XBLIG never gave us."

GameFront - Dead Island and The Game We All Wanted To Play That Never Existed.
The way I see it, Techland made the wrong game. Or rather, it thought of the wrong game. The Dead Island that was poignant and emotional, the one that made us sad to see a family destroyed in its final moments, that’s a game that not only could find an audience, it has an audience dying to play it. And any game like it. Immediately.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2011, 04:39 Jerykk

Dead State may be the game to come closest to the realization of that trailer.

Project Zomboid has potential as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 21:15 Beamer

Uh, you think they made (over) $100K in 5 days, and will only make $50K in the next 360?

I was being conservative, but yes, I think that sales are going to slow considerably, especially with a big bulk coming from sales from here on out. Although I'm guessing they got a nice jump from this article.

Except for the fact they are reporting their revenue, not Steam's. As in, Steam has already taken their cut.

Fair. Same with Microsoft.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 18:55 ASeven

Quboid wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 18:47:
This is the backwards trailer about the family being attacked by zombies?

I don't even see how this would work as a game. In terms of mood, this would be something similar to Alan Wake, which didn't seem to be a huge critical hit either.

I don't understand why anyone would look at pre-rendered CGI and read anything into a game from it.

Dead State may be the game to come closest to the realization of that trailer.

19. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 18:47 Quboid

This is the backwards trailer about the family being attacked by zombies?

I don't even see how this would work as a game. In terms of mood, this would be something similar to Alan Wake, which didn't seem to be a huge critical hit either.

I don't understand why anyone would look at pre-rendered CGI and read anything into a game from it.

- Quboid

18. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 15:22 Draugr

The PC is more friendly towards indie titles than consoles!? I'm Shocked, shocked I say.

Who would have thought that the platform that supported indie games and development from the outset would be the place it gets the most love, instead of these consoles manufacturers who up until this generation didn't realize what they were missing out on.

17. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 15:08 Bhruic

With the XBLIG returns it's $200k in 9 months.

Hey look, you ask for other examples of indie devs making $200K, and then find them yourself. Good job.

Figure they'll get another 50% at least on Steam, so $250k for the year perhaps.

Uh, you think they made (over) $100K in 5 days, and will only make $50K in the next 360?

Steam takes 30%, and I'd guess XBLIG takes 30%, so we take that down to $175k for the year.

Except for the fact they are reporting their revenue, not Steam's. As in, Steam has already taken their cut.

16. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 14:58 Beamer

The Dead Island teaser was supposed to set a mood. That's what a teaser does - sets a mood.

I think the complaints some have is that the mood in the teaser is never apparent in the game.
I'm with some of you, though - making a zombie game with that atmosphere and mood would be difficult and not necessary worth any payoff. Zombies are supposed to get mutilated, not much else.

While the teaser was cool, and a lie according to some that feel there was no poignancy in the full game, I don't think it would have made for a great game.

-------------

15. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 14:53 Cutter

MS is a perfect example of what happens when management gets entrenched and rigidity and toeing the line is the order of the day in spite of the fact that the peons working there are fully aware it's killing them but won't do anything about it.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

14. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 14:21 PropheT

Kajetan wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 13:03:
People need to learn, that a trailer IS JUST A TRAILER AND NOT THE GAME. People need to learn to avoid such emotional hype traps, which they all create by themselves. No "The publishers marketing is evil!". Well, it is evil most of the time but not with trailers which have clearly no actual gameplay in them.

It's not even just that, but that those moments ARE in the game. The story told through the cutscenes isn't spectacular, but the story told through actually playing the game is. With what they did give us, you get to see the death throes of a society torn apart by the outbreak and the polarization of people into their own tiny camps to survive.

Hell, in one quest you are actually tasked with going to a man's home to kill the zombies his family became because he can't bring himself to do it. I don't see how that's any less poignant than what was depicted in that trailer, and it's far from the only thing like that in the game.

Until the technology moves well beyond where we're at, we're not going to get unscripted and open ended games where that kind of emotional impact snapshot is possible outside of just being a movie attached to something you play. The trailer is a movie doing what's possible with movies, but games aren't movies and I don't want them to be. It's just a trailer, and the game is great for what it is.

13. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 13:45 Creston

I love how game "journalists" (and my use of that term is more loose than Hillary Scott) automatically assume that because THEY want something, therefore it MUST hold true for the rest of the planet.

I didn't want to play a zombie game where I'm sad to see a family destroyed in its final moments. I want a zombie game where I murder shitloads of zombies in a great setting, like a tropical island.

Ie, I want to play Dead Island. The only thing stopping me so far is reports of it being buggy as hell and the fact I'm still playing Deus Ex, Lonely Road is out in a week, Rage in three, and Skyrim in less than two months.

I will happily play Dead Island sometime in January. And I won't give a single moment's thought to the game where I was supposed to be sad to see a family destroyed in its final moments. Fuck that game.

Creston

12. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 13:03 Kajetan

spindoctor wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:51:
People need to move on for fuck's sake.
People need to learn, that a trailer IS JUST A TRAILER AND NOT THE GAME. People need to learn to avoid such emotional hype traps, which they all create by themselves. No "The publishers marketing is evil!". Well, it is evil most of the time but not with trailers which have clearly no actual gameplay in them.

11. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 12:51 spindoctor

How can people still be complaining about the trailer? They put out a fine game and yet people whine it's not what they they thought it was going to be. Techland never tried to deceive people by putting out the video equivalent of bullshots. Hell they even put in the family from the trailer in the game after the events shown in it. People need to move on for fuck's sake.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

10. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 12:36 Beamer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 12:21:
There ought to be a new category for these companies. I mean, my idea of indie doesn't involve making $100k in 5 days.

With the XBLIG returns it's $200k in 9 months.
Figure they'll get another 50% at least on Steam, so $250k for the year perhaps.
Steam takes 30%, and I'd guess XBLIG takes 30%, so we take that down to $175k for the year.
Zeboyd has 3 employees, if it's an even split that's $58k per employee pre-tax. Post tax maybe $40k per employee. There are other expenses, there are benefits, etc.

-------------

9. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 12:21 Silicon Avatar

There ought to be a new category for these companies. I mean, my idea of indie doesn't involve making $100k in 5 days.  

8. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 11:33 Beamer

If you read other stories on blues, you'll see that in XBLA MS treats indie devs like crap, and has no clue about actually marketing them. They almost never do any sales or promotions.

They don't do any for XBLIG, period.

It was never designed for that. XBLA was designed to be the go-to for commercial success and XBLIG was designed to be the wild west where anyone can throw something up.

Both designs were clearly short-sighted. XBLA quickly became an insane profit generator for companies indie or other (as it features both) and exploded, but it wasn't designed in a way to handle that explosion. Its popularity hurt it, as it wasn't well designed to handle as many releases as people wanted to put out on it, and interest seems to have dwindled (as people have mentioned, it seems to be getting less compelling releases, not more.)

XBLIG just lacks in everything. No one gave it attention, probably because I don't think anyone truly believed it would get much use. Became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't see Microsoft doing a huge overhaul for the 360. I do think they will (or at least should) for the next version, and I think you'll see these types of games being the focus of the Windows 8 Xbox Live inclusion, so I think they'll really iron some kinks out. Opening a service up to the masses, instead of a small group of publishers, has become a problem for everyone, as you get a small percentage of good products (which, of course, means a huge amount if you're getting a huge amount of submissions), a larger percentage of not-so-good products, and no easy way to sort them. Steam has been managing this fairly well but it will end up unmanageable without changes. App stores for every phone have failed. XBL has failed. Steam will have to adapt to not fail. Windows 8 needs to be really thoughtfully designed to not have this part fail.

For the record, I agree with the high barriers for XBLA. These are the standouts that Microsoft is putting their own stamp on. These need to be high quality, polished titles. They'll get more attention, but people need to jump through hoops to be approved so they cost more to create.
Having a solid alternative where people can throw things without jumping through these hoops but still be found and still be given some attention by Microsoft (less than XBLA but more than being completely ignored) would be great.

-------------

7. removed Sep 14, 2011, 11:04 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 14, 2011, 11:09.

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 10:51 InBlack

If Microsoft says they love you, you better believe it mister!! Or else!  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 10:40 Dev

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 10:32:
Microsoft in general needs to get its act together in the gaming market, they've been neglecting it in favor of Kinect which has sold a bunch of hardware but the software hasn't gone anywhere.
Ironically, MS brought up kinect in the linked article interview as a reason for indies to use XBLA.

"If you look at what we're now doing with motion control, such as with Fruit Ninja Kinect, it's just an amazing platform for a hugely broad audience and it has the potential for a really broad range of games. There's just so much room left to innovate on Xbox 360 and XBLA, it's very exciting to see what developers are experimenting with and what they're showing us."

Its like waving smoke and mirrors and saying BUT WAIT! We have kinect! So now despite all the crap we are still giving us, that one thing means you surely love us instanter now right?!

4. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 10:38 Dev

Oh also, about that dead island thing, I didn't understand why people got so worked up about the initial trailer... it was just a CGI clip that didn't have any gameplay in it. It ended up having almost nothing to do with the final game anyway.  

3. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 10:32 Verno

Yep exactly Dev, Microsoft has been getting too arrogant and pushy with indie devs. Summer of Arcade ain't what it used to be either. Microsoft in general needs to get its act together in the gaming market, they've been neglecting it in favor of Kinect which has sold a bunch of hardware but the software hasn't gone anywhere. People are going to eventually wisen up that they can get Netflix functionality elsewhere, things like XBLA are what sets it apart.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo