Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox LIVE on Windows 8

An update on Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson's Blog has word on how Xbox LIVE will operate under Windows 8. Some of the details on this still remain to be explained, but here's the overview from the good major:

We are confirming that we will be bringing Xbox LIVE to the PC with Xbox LIVE on Windows. We are very excited about Xbox LIVE coming to Windows 8. Xbox LIVE brings your games, music, movies, and TV shows to your favorite Microsoft and Windows devices. Bringing Xbox LIVE to Windows 8 is part of our vision to bring you all the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, made easy. At BUILD we are showing that it is easy for developers to create games for Windows 8 that take advantage of the power of Xbox LIVE. We have much more detail to share about the capabilities of Xbox LIVE on Windows and look forward to the opportunity to do so in the near future.

If you want to learn more about Windows 8, you can watch the Keynote from earlier today.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 15:22 Sepharo

wtf_man wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 09:53:
As for .NET... I don't think that's going away anytime soon... at least not in the enterprise... I use it all the time for Powershell... and though MS Haters don't like to admit it... the enterprise is where MS still has some superiority. (Technology-wise... not price-wise)

Totally agree, preachin' to the choir here

But I do think .NET developers are feeling a bit slighted especially when a lot of us are so in love with WPF/XAML now and Microsoft then says, "HTML5 and Javascript are the way to go".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 09:55 Beamer

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 08:49:
Having used Xbox Live on the Xbox itself I don't really see a big benefit to PC gaming by bringing it to the Windows platform. Microsoft is obviously trying to unify some of their services between platforms but I can't say I really care for their approach. Some services can't be unified without making sacrifices and PC gaming is a very specialized platform.

I mostly agree.
The only thing that I think is really useful is being able to check out games for XBLA and WP7 in a browser instead of on-screen, and neither of those need a service instead of a webstore.

Achievements built into the OS is kind of cool, I guess, and avatars are something ("something,") but other than that? XBL is great on consoles, it's extraneous on phones and it's nearing pointless on PCs.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

52. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 09:53 wtf_man

Sepharo wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 00:25:
I'm pretty much indifferent. You're not forced to use it anyway. But from what I've been hearing a lot of people seem to like the UI. I know a few coworkers who've seriously gone Apple -> Google -> Microsoft in a smartphone context, but being .NET developers* they're probably slightly biased. Lots of positive press but I take that with a grain of salt because I know how marketing** works.

*some would say a soon to be extinct profession
**a wild beamer appears

Well... not forced to use it (On a Desktop or Laptop) was my point about "no reason to upgrade". Upgrade for a "super-cached hibernate mode so you get a 10 second boot with an SSD"? ...Not enough reason to upgrade, IMO.

As for .NET... I don't think that's going away anytime soon... at least not in the enterprise... I use it all the time for Powershell... and though MS Haters don't like to admit it... the enterprise is where MS still has some superiority. (Technology-wise... not price-wise)

Anyway... I haven't talked to a single person yet, that likes the Tile interface. I admit I'll have to check out a Windows phone to see the functionality for myself... but I still think it's an ugly interface.

51. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 09:45 wonkawonka

Sepharo wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 00:25:
Lots of positive press but I take that with a grain of salt because I know how marketing** works.

**a wild beamer appears

ROTFL

50. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 08:56 tRens

PHJF wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 03:31:
Very comparable to Steam on the PC.

Obviously trolling

49. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 08:54 tRens

There is no way I will ever pay for Xbox LIVE.

Microsoft pulled the wool over everyone that subscribes to it. Reminds me of how people booed Ron Paul when he was just telling you the truth.

48. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 08:49 Verno

Having used Xbox Live on the Xbox itself I don't really see a big benefit to PC gaming by bringing it to the Windows platform. Microsoft is obviously trying to unify some of their services between platforms but I can't say I really care for their approach. Some services can't be unified without making sacrifices and PC gaming is a very specialized platform.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

47. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 08:46 necrosis

Ruffiana wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 21:02:
Sempai wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 20:24:
I assume Xbox Live will cost me $59.99 a year to use on a PC, If so Fuck yourself Microsoft.

In fairness, a bit of shopping can get you Gold membership more in the $29-$39 range. It still should be free, but I think they'll have a much harder time getting a similiar monthly fee from PC users.

As someone who's not an eltist PC snob, I like XBox Live. I've only had gold membership off and on over the years, but the access to community, secondary services, demos, DLC, arcade games, and achievements is really nice. Very comparable to Steam on the PC.

It only makes sense that this service would eventually be integrated on PCs.
So we are "elitist PC snobs" because we think its bullshit to pay for something that is not needed?

46. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 08:33 Beamer

Most likely this is more casual aimed than anything.

It'll be just like on Windows Phone - no charge, casual games like Angry Birds and tower defenses, a link to a marketplace (which, importantly, will also allow you to search and purchase games for your Windows Phone and XBLA, making it vastly easier to figure out which ones are good), an avatar and achievements.

I don't think the plans are to make a Steam replacement with the first iteration.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 06:45 Dev

Way to rededicate yourself to PC there MS.

The only way I'd be interested is if it let me play xbox live arcade games on PC. Otherwise I'll just keep using steam. Everytime I use the piece of crap called GfWL it causes me problems and aggravation.

44. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 06:40 Kajetan

ZeroCougar wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 06:32:
I'm sure it will be out of the way of normal OS functions
This will be probably like the Games Explorer. Easy to ignore.

43. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 06:32 ZeroCougar

Aww and they did so well on Win7 too. But I know they need to change the formula up a bit, I can understand that from a $$$ stand point.

I'm sure it will be out of the way of normal OS functions, if not somebody will find a way to make it go away, and tell others how.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

42. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 06:14 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 23:56:
I suspect Xbox LIVE for Windows 8 will just be a renamed Games For Windows LIVE.
Jepp. From what i have seen in the demos, this will be a renamed GfWL plus a smoother integration of the XBOX marketplace. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course, GfWL will remain a stupid, unusable shit and the marketplace will not be in the slightest a danger for Steam or other services, because there is no value for a PC gamer to use that, besides some exclusive indie games MS bought to push this service. And for buying music or videos ... really? The XBOX marketplace makes only sense for console customers to manage their accounts across two plattforms.

41. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 05:49 Arithon

Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 21:45:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 21:25:
I don't know about you guys... but the "Windows-7-Phone-Metro-Hideous-Colored Post-It Note-Tile-Interface" is about the ugliest shit I've seen from Microsoft since MS Bob.

I think you'll find yourself (surprisingly) in the minority with that opinion.

Not really. Who the hell wants Windows functions hidden behind a tinsel firewall?
Faster, leaner, less RAM hungry, yes. LEGO Windows? No.

And XBOX Live? Wasn't GFWL a big enough disaster? Clearly not.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

40. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 04:52 Jerykk

Wait what?

I think he means that Xbox games running on PC wouldn't have any of the benefits that PC games typically have. You'd still be stuck at 1280x720 or lower, no antialiasing, no anisotropic filtering, 30 FPS, no M/KB support, etc.

39. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 04:00 InBlack

DangerDog wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 23:23:
Technical reasons aside, they'll never allow Xbox games to run on the PC.

Besides, why would you want to play games that are crippled due to lack of input device selection and extremely low end hardware specs.

Wait what?

I have a nifty blue line!

38. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 03:31 PHJF

Very comparable to Steam on the PC.

Other than the fact that Steam is, you know, free?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

37. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 03:16 StingingVelvet

If you're an Xbox gamer who uses a PC for non-gaming stuff this probably sounds awesome. I think their tablets and phones are going to use the same setup as well, which no doubt will also be seen as awesome by a lot of people.

It's not for me, and I will likely avoid it barring some amazing exclusive, but I get where they are going. The future is services for all your media and MS want to be a major player.

36. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 02:36 Prez

I just upgraded to Windows 7 after using XP for about 9 years. I'm not about to switch again anytime soon. Not even remotely interested in Win8.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Xbox LIVE on Windows 8 Sep 14, 2011, 01:27 KilrathiAce

I am pretty sure ms is gonna make win8 very restricted as to what u can do, I have a feeling win7 maybe last ms os I will ever use.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo