Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums have an official statement saying same-gender relationships with companion characters will come in a post-release update to BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG (thanks Massively). Here's word on how love can eventually bloom for star-crossed couples like Han and Chewie, Jabba the Hutt and Salacious B. Crumb, and of course, all those storm troopers:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 17, 2011, 17:48 Prez

Could it just be a matter of Lucasarts updating the universe to closer reflect modern culture thereby making it appeal to a larger demographic? I'm against tweaking a universe for that reason, but it was never explicitly stated that there was a complete lack of homosexuality in the Star Wars canon (though admittedly I never read the books), so I'm not even sure that this fits into that category.

My main question is does it add anything of value to the game or the universe? If not then what's the point? At any rate, I don't find this to be a case of political correctness. It doesn't sound like there will be a Rainbow Jedi class (although Zorro the Gay Blade with a light saber would be epic!) who needs a special lightsaber designed to accommodate a limp-wristed swinging style.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 15, 2011, 17:49 ^Drag0n^

I think Clint Eastwood had it right on this very topic.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

41. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 15, 2011, 06:01 CommunistHamster

Not even in an ironic sense?  

40. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 16:27 Beamer

There are non-white and non-male people in my game?
This political correctness goes too far!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 16:23 ^Drag0n^

What are the ground rules for forum posts?
The idea behind the news forum is to provide a place to discuss gaming news. There are very few hard and fast rules. Here they are:

• Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.

• Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.

• Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.

• Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

• Seems pretty obvious.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

38. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 13:25 CommunistHamster

Why was my comment removed? I was mocking the people calling this political correctness.  

37. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 09:15 Zanthar

What is the DPS of the AIDS DoT?  

36. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 08:36 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Sep 14, 2011, 04:39:
    Im sick of political corectness.

The fact that you think this is "political correctness" speaks volumes about you.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. removed Sep 14, 2011, 05:53 CommunistHamster

* REMOVED *
    This comment was deleted on Sep 14, 2011, 09:23.

34. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 04:39 InBlack

I think they should make a planet where the entire population is homosexual and the entire species is dying off for some unknown reason because no children are being born....

The quest for the char would be to FIND that unknown reason. Pretty cool eh?

Im sick of political corectness.

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 03:32 entr0py

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 22:51:

Because after 5 years of development there was no way to fit this in.

Actually, the more I think about it, you'd actually have to code an exception to prevent same gender relationships, doing more work to prevent it than allow it.

That might be true with other games where the player character is a mute avatar. But in TOR the player character is fully voiced and animated in conversations. Meaning they would need to record thousands of lines of additional dialogue among the 16 class/gender combinations. As well as lip synching and other animation for each conversation.

At least; that's what they'd need to do to match the number of hetero options. But I just think it's cool they'll be recording gay and lesbian options with companion characters in the future.

32. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 14, 2011, 00:47 WyldKat

I'm surprised Lucas is letting this fly. It's a good thing, but not enough to warrant a purchase of this game.

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 22:51:

After 5 years of development you'd be hard pressed to figure out where that dev time went.

31. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 22:51 jdreyer

Actually, the more I think about it, you'd actually have to code an exception to prevent same gender relationships, doing more work to prevent it than allow it.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

30. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 22:44 Sepharo

Gojo wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 21:57:
    Tsk Tsk, that would be The Captain & Tennille

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCk3bnvO5Y

For the love of god, don't click that link.

:|

Wow.

29. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 21:57 Gojo

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 18:24:
    Yes, and they get married while The Carpenters - Muskrat Love is playing.

Tsk Tsk, that would be The Captain & Tennille

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCk3bnvO5Y[/url]

For the love of god, don't click that link.
    Halo wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 16:00:
    TK421 Why aren't you on my post?
    Best. Post. Ever.

=-Gojo-=

28. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 20:25 Jonny

GayBlade wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 19:58:
    Jonny wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 19:16:
    I don't really understand. If you fancy men and want a male romance option, why not roll a female toon? If you fancy women and want the female romance option, roll a male toon.

Umm, I take great pride in being a man (I play one in real life too). I have no desire to see a woman and a man engage in any sexual act...ewww. I want some man on man action!

Heh, I'm pretty sure you're not going to see any action of any kind in a Star Wars MMO. A few lines of awkward Bio romance and a fade to black is the most anyone's likely to get regardless of the genders involved. The only difference between man+man or man+woman or woman+woman in TOR is likely going to be the voice your toon spouts it's lines in and the shape of the ass you watch running around for hundreds of hours.

27. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 20:21 Lorcin

entr0py wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 20:00:
    As for gay options, they're pretty popular in Bioware games, and not just with gay people. Plus I imagine that little bit of validation might be a selling point for gay gamers who know how rare it is.

And could really help keep down the kid factor when Fox in the US and the Daily Mail over hear start screaming how wrong it all is.

26. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 20:01 GayBlade

Halo wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 16:00:
    TK421 Why aren't you on my post?

Thank you so much for this! I laughed so hard my mountain dew came out my nose

25. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 20:00 entr0py

I played a smuggler in the weekend event, and I did think it was fun that there were a few flirtatious options with female NPCs. Much like real life, most of the women weren't down for it. I guess they were too concerned with their kidnapped family members, or whatever it is quest NPCs are always on about. And the ones that do flirt with you are mostly devious and have some ulterior motive, but it seems fitting for a smuggler with bad luck.

As for gay options, they're pretty popular in Bioware games, and not just with gay people. Plus I imagine that little bit of validation might be a selling point for gay gamers who know how rare it is.

24. Re: Same-Gender Relationships a Post-Launch Feature in The Old Republic Sep 13, 2011, 19:59 panbient

The older I get, the more ashamed I become of being an active part of the generation that helped legitimize gaming in the mainstream.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo