Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to Dragon's Lair animator Don Bluth. I don't know how many quarters I pumped into that bad boy, but it was a lot, especially compared with the minimal progress I made towards completing it. Hey Don. here's hoping you're resting your feet on a diamond-encrusted ottoman as a result.

Animated Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Murloc 2- Episode 1.
CrazyTopy.
Links: Artist Jay Shells Establishes the ‘Metropolitan Etiquette Authority’. Thanks Neatorama.
9 Iconic Sweaters in Pop Culture.
Stories: Hannibal Lecter Gets A TV Series.
Science: IBM's Watson supercomputer to diagnose patients. Thanks Slashdot.
Fifty new exoplanets discovered. Thanks brother19.
Coca-Cola Space Invaders of the Day.
Media: FPSRusssia: Explosive crossbow, AK47, & Custom Shotgun. NSFW.
EPIC SUPER HERO KISS.
Gears you have never seen before.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: And Happy Birthday Sep 14, 2011, 04:49 InBlack

Will do!  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: And Happy Birthday Sep 13, 2011, 18:38 space captain

InBlack wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:26:
Slayer all the way. Megadeth is uninspiring, Metallica have lost the juice and Anthrax is just old...

check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48mDuY8rI0

Go forth, and kill!

22. removed Sep 13, 2011, 18:36 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 14, 2011, 01:08.

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 17:11 Hoop

Good band name.
"The diamond encrusted ottomans"
Drummer Guitarist

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: And Happy Birthday Sep 13, 2011, 15:38 nin

I'm just amazed I got $306 for shit I hadn't used in months or even years. That works out to an average for $6, which isn't stellar, but when you throw enough of them in...

Apparently nintendo stuff keeps a lot of it's value, as DS games frequently fetched $10 or more a pop, and a copy of Smash Bros for the Wii was an awesome $31.05 in trade in value.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: And Happy Birthday Sep 13, 2011, 15:24 kanniballl

Alright, I'm going to go tumbler on your asses here, so I apologize in advance.

For those interested, Amazon will allow you to trade in old console games.

No problem, I actually had no idea. Sounds like a cool idea.

Unfortunately my brother is into the whole retro-gaming thing, he moved out recently and took all of the old 'carts with him.

If they were still just gathering dust in the basement I'd probably send all of stuff to them. But a family member getting enjoyment out of them isn't too bad.

Really, it's a no-brainer. Gift certificate at Gamestop where you can buy more games... or at Amazon where you can buy... well... anything.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: And Happy Birthday Sep 13, 2011, 14:58 nin

Alright, I'm going to go tumbler on your asses here, so I apologize in advance.

For those interested, Amazon will allow you to trade in old console games. You enter them in the site, and it tells you their approx value, and then you throw them in a box, they give you a free shipping label, and you get Amazon store credit. How much?

I trade in a total of 50 49 games* across the 360, Wii, gamecube, DS, and PSP. And it looks like I got $306 in credit this morning. Considering how old some of them were (GC? seriously???) I'm rather happy how this turned out, as I now have money for a kindle and a shitload of books.

So don't take your shit to lamestop. Give it to amazon!

*Apparently they didn't like me giving them the hardened edition of MW2 instead of the regular, and it's returned to me, at no charge for shipping.

17. Re: And Happy Birthday Sep 13, 2011, 14:44 eunichron

InBlack wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:26:
Steelcamp wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:11:
Dave Mustaine
Go see the big 4 concert tomorrow at Yankee Stadium.

Slayer all the way. Megadeth is uninspiring, Metallica have lost the juice and Anthrax is just old...

I've seen them 3 times in the last several years, the last show was with Testament and Megadeth, and have to say Slayer was the best performance by far.

Still only the 2nd best show I've seen though, the first definitely goes to At The Gates during their 2008 reunion tour.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 14:23 Alamar

Dragon's Lair... Comes out again (with no changes) every few years on a new platform... Talk about milking a dead cow...

On the other hand, I picked it up on DVD like a decade ago, beat it, lent it out, but haven't touched it since.

As for this arcade thing... What is this mystical entity of which you speak? Was just lamenting the loss of mall arcades recently... We have 'super arcades' still, like Palladium and Dave & Busters, but I miss the little room at the local mall with a bunch of games, and practically no overhead lighting...

Course, at my age, going in there would seem kind of creepy... : )

-Alamar

15. Re: IBM's Watson supercomputer to diagnose patients Sep 13, 2011, 14:22 DangerDog

Probably has better bed side manners than a real doctor.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 13:46 zincthallinide

Dragon's Lair is impossible as implemented.. The 'flashing square hint' thing is a lie because I whacked the joystick many a time where and when the square flashed and so too did my pals and the knight would die over and over and over.

The game would have been far more popular if it would have been programmed to work properly. As it is, everyone I know would plug in a quarter or two, die immediately, and never try it again.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 11:54 MUGWUMP

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:54:
In sad news...I just over at IMDB that they're now going to remake Point Break. Sigh, FFS, just stop already!

They already remade point break. It's called "the fast and the furious".

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 11:42 nin

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 11:38:
Ever fired your gun up in the air while shouting "aaargh"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6PXoyNP1k

What about a desk pop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9tLrOHXH4

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 11:38 Cutter

Ever fired your gun up in the air while shouting "aaargh"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6PXoyNP1k

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 11:20 kanniballl

In sad news...I just over at IMDB that they're now going to remake Point Break. Sigh, FFS, just stop already!

Yeh I saw that too and shook my head.

Why? Not that I was a terribly huge fan of the first one and want it preserved... it just doesn't make sense to remake it.

• Was it held back by special effects of the era (and their cost), thus making it look cheesey instead of serious?
    Not "it doesn't hold up to today's standards." But "it was so bad it made the movie a joke, like the 1990s Fantastic Four film"

• Did the original writers/directors have to water it down to appease the insanely shiny-happy-people environment of film + television from the 70s + 80s?

• No? Then why bother remaking the movie?

I can even understand sequels and prequels made decades after the source material, if the source material established a rich and complex universe that has captured the imagination to this day. Star Trek, Star Wars, etc spawned universes that lived on in books, comics, novels, etc. So deciding to expand on it with some cannon is alright.

I really doubt there are no good ideas left in Hollywood. It's just an example of execs deciding to cash in on some old intellectual property / copyrights. We're paying $X every Y years to keep the property, it's time it's earned its keep.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2011, 12:12.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 11:09 Wallshadows

I would hate to be the neighbor of that FPSRussia guy.

As for Dragon's Lair, jesus, that takes me way back to 3.5" floppies and countless play throughs. The worst part was when you had to get across the room and the knight on the other end would use his sword to light up the squares which killed you.

...and then there was riding that fucking horse.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 10:57 nin

I was mildly excited...until I read they were throwing the surfing and skydiving out. And then it wasn't Point Break anymore.

Classic movie. Watched it a few years ago again, and it's held up well.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 10:54 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 10:53 nin

I (like most people, I suspect) sucked at Dragons Lair. Mame supports CHD (compressed hard drive) files, but I don't think I ever got DL working with it. I know you can pick it up on blu ray (among 3 million other formats), but I have no idea of the quality of the files, or how well it'd play with a blu ray remote. Space Ace is out there, too...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 10:50 kanniballl

That's like a whole era of gaming I missed... not due to age as much as not being able to go to any arcades.

For someone that used to game so heavily until a few years ago, I feel it's a shame. I tried to catch up a little with Mame32 but just enough to get familiar with some of the classic titles.

Oh well, I guess I'll always have memories of my Intellivision and Commodore 128.

-Fry, Futurama

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo