Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Orchestra 2 Preloads

With the release of the game planned for tomorrow, Steam is now offer preloads of Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad for those who have preordered Tripwire Interactive's World War II shooter sequel, though there is heavy demand on the Steam servers at the moment. This also offers the last chance to get in on the 10% discount for preordering.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 17, 2011, 15:08 Dades

I'm really liking this game, its the perfect opposite of Call of Duty games.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 20:05 Nacelle

bhcompy wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 13:01:
I'm not knocking it as a feature, just as a balance issue.
It doesn't magically make you better at a game. If you suck with one screen, you're going to suck with three. When you play you're concentrating on the center where your reticule is. The sides only help in periphery like it does in real life. And since when has PC hardware been about balance? What about the guy with an old CRT 4:3 monitor, P4 CPU and a crappy graphics card? Should everyone's view of game on a server be deminished because it won't be "fair" for him not to have the advantage of a 16:9 LCD like BF2? Noone would tolerate it. The person who spends more money on their computer gets an advantage. That's just the way it works. If you don't like it, get a better PC or play on a console.

39. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 18:09 SpectralMeat

It is unlocked !  

Steam: SpectralMeat

38. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 17:22 SpectralMeat

Tumbler wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 17:19:
At 1PM Eastern, so it should be unlocked by now. If not then any minute now.

Meh, checking now, 2pm PST...still says pre-load. I'm at work with steam open, I would assume that pre-load button should just say install...

Not really upset since I can't play it right now but just seems less than I expected. I figured it'd unlock early in the morning at very latest...

Nope not unlocked yet. Usually new releases unlock at 1PM but you can't really count on it much. They've tweeted about an hour or so ago that Steam has all the final files now so it should unlock soon.
I am also at work still and won't have time to play this for at least another 4 hours anyways so it is all good.

The beta is still functional by the way and they do not plan to take it down. They said they have plans with that. I am hoping they will be testing patches and maybe new features etc. Which seems pretty cool if true.

37. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 17:19 Tumbler

Meh, checking now, 2pm PST...still says pre-load. I'm at work with steam open, I would assume that pre-load button should just say install...

Not really upset since I can't play it right now but just seems less than I expected. I figured it'd unlock early in the morning at very latest...

Edit: Steam Store page says it will unlock in approx an hour. 3:20pm PST?

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2011, 17:24.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

36. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 13:21 SpectralMeat

Tumbler wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 13:15:
What time do new releases usually unlock?

35. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 13:15 Tumbler

This thing ever unlock, I checked at 6am PST and it still said pre-load. What time do new releases usually unlock? I figured it was midnight on launch day...but at 1am it was not unlocked. The Warhammer 40k Space Marine SP campaign is surprisingly hard to stop playing. Seems to be just challenging enough to keep me engaged and moves fast enough to where I just kept saying...ok just a few more min, ooo wow, that was cool, well I guess I can get through one more level.

Should be able to finish it tonight.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

34. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 13:01 bhcompy

Nacelle wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 11:28:
FPS's are where eyefinity shines. The wider field of view makes it more inversive. Unless you've tried it in person, don't knock it. It's spectacular. I don't expect every game to support it, but I do expect it to be done correctly when the devs say it's supported. EA claims the BF3 supports eyefinity. Since Bad Company 2 was a great example of support, I expect BF3 will too.

I'm not knocking it as a feature, just as a balance issue.

33. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 12:24 Jerykk

Besides I totally agree with you... its good RO2 can still be made in todays times ^^ Just don't agree that its GOTY material. For that they just aimed too short, just MP and no campaign...

I don't think a multiplayer game needs an SP component tacked on in order to qualify as GotY. My favorite MP games (Tribes, Q3, TF2) don't have any real single-player.

32. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 11:28 Nacelle

FPS's are where eyefinity shines. The wider field of view makes it more inversive. Unless you've tried it in person, don't knock it. It's spectacular. I don't expect every game to support it, but I do expect it to be done correctly when the devs say it's supported. EA claims the BF3 supports eyefinity. Since Bad Company 2 was a great example of support, I expect BF3 will too.  

31. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 10:25 necrosis

bhcompy wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 09:52:
Yea, no tears over any lack of eyefinity support here. I think it's one thing to have that in an RTS or a game like EVE, but it's not something I would want in an FPS with an unrestricted FOV given the advantage that FOV provides to those few that have it.
Yeah Dice or EA stated there was no proper widescreen support in BF2 online because "it was a unfair advantage" (no source but just Google "bf2 widescreen unfair"). While I am perfectly OK with widescreen (the benefit is VERY minimal, not to mention not many games to it properly, VERT+ == CORRECT, VERT- == FAIL).

Eyefinity on the other hand is way overboard.

And yeah, don't get me started on 16:9 with black bars for 16:10 displays. This alone is why widescreengamingforum.com can go fuck off. They give games an 'A' rating that do this shit. After that I lost all respect of that site.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2011, 10:33.

30. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 10:05 Overon

Zanthar wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 09:50:
The only way a FPS can be realistic is if you play it while another person stands over you with a loaded gun and shoots you when you get shot in the game. I encourage all of you to try it.
You are making a falacious argument. You ignore the fact that a game's realism falls on a spectrum. It's not either 100% realistic ("another person stands over you with a loaded gun and shoots you when you get shot in the game) or 0% realistic, there is a whole range in between that you are ignoring.

29. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 09:52 bhcompy

necrosis wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 09:20:
Nacelle wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 06:59:
I've been screwed too many times by devs that say it will have eyefinity support and don't live up to their promise. If I have to edit an ini file, the hud is streached, or the fov never feels right, I don't consider that eyefinity support. Half-Life 2 engine games and Bad Company 2 have worked correctly right for a long time now. When I see reviews where everyone Is playing this game without a hitch, I'll buy it then.
Whats that? Something that hardly anyone has isn't supported? Shock of shocks!

That's what you get for buying into a gimmick.

Bad enough that we have a lot of games even today that do not support widescreen properly (16:10 specifically) let alone this shit.

Yea, no tears over any lack of eyefinity support here. I think it's one thing to have that in an RTS or a game like EVE, but it's not something I would want in an FPS with an unrestricted FOV given the advantage that FOV provides to those few that have it. I'd much rather have real 16:10 resolution support as well. None of this 16:9 shit and none of this commandline crap to run the game(eg BF2).

Anyways, ordered this yesterday because I wanted to get it. RO was fun, if a bit difficult and clunky. RO2 feels more of the same, but looks a bit better. Would be nice to have a map, though, even if it's something to pull up out of game. They had intel maps back in the war. Could be I'm missing something, though.

28. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 09:50 Zanthar

The only way a FPS can be realistic is if you play it while another person stands over you with a loaded gun and shoots you when you get shot in the game. I encourage all of you to try it.  

27. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 09:44 Verno

As for the criteria, you *do* know the most played MP games on PC right? TF2 is as far away from realism as possible, and the most successful mp shooter around. Which tells me (most) people do not want realistic games ;p

You said it wasn't in the same "competitive SP MP as BF3 and MW3" but didn't specify what that even means. Your posts indicate a lack of knowledge about this game too, you already posted there was no SP at all. It seems to me that you're just here to rain on the parade and be a negative troll.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

26. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 09:34 SpectralMeat

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 09:13:
Just don't agree that its GOTY material. For that they just aimed too short, just MP and no campaign...

There are actually 2 separate single player campaigns in RO2.

Suckage wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 08:45:
It's a great game.. but in my experience rather unstable. I hope they'll fix it up quickly!
It's been running flawlessly for me, other than the initial server browser issues the game runs fine. Even my USB headset they've specifically mentioned will not work, worked fine for me since day one.
I know there are some people with issues and crashes, they've mentioned it in their patch notes, and also mentioned to make sure you have all the latest drivers for video and sound card, and latest DirectX version from the Microsoft website.

25. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 09:20 necrosis

Nacelle wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 06:59:
I've been screwed too many times by devs that say it will have eyefinity support and don't live up to their promise. If I have to edit an ini file, the hud is streached, or the fov never feels right, I don't consider that eyefinity support. Half-Life 2 engine games and Bad Company 2 have worked correctly right for a long time now. When I see reviews where everyone Is playing this game without a hitch, I'll buy it then.
Whats that? Something that hardly anyone has isn't supported? Shock of shocks!

That's what you get for buying into a gimmick.

Bad enough that we have a lot of games even today that do not support widescreen properly (16:10 specifically) let alone this shit.

24. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 09:13 eRe4s3r

Just because its different/hardcore and realistic doesn't mean its fun or good (competitive/balanced) mp. Also none of the games I listed are 3rd person or cover based....

Besides I totally agree with you... its good RO2 can still be made in todays times ^^ Just don't agree that its GOTY material. For that they just aimed too short, just MP and no campaign...

As for the criteria, you *do* know the most played MP games on PC right? TF2 is as far away from realism as possible, and the most successful mp shooter around. Which tells me (most) people do not want realistic games ;p

23. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 09:12 Morgan19

Are there demo plans? I've never played the original and this looks/sounds like something I'd like, but would still prefer to "try" first.  

22. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Preloads Sep 13, 2011, 08:53 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 04:48:
If you mean its going to be the best MP game this year then i strongly disagree, BC2 / MW3 and BF3 are all vastly more competitive targeted at MP and SP, Red Orchestra 2 barely manages to do a half-way complete MP experience.

Based on what exactly? Nothing you just said means anything at all, there's literally zero criteria there.

One thing its gonna be, is the best "realistic" shooter around, but thats all

Yeah because there's way too many realistic shooters with high quality these days. Wish we could have some fun third person shooters with cover and stuff, why don't we ever see any of those anymore?

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo