Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter

A brief story on The Official Xbox Magazine offers some tidbits from their upcoming issue 78 on the just-announced Syndicate reinvention, focusing on the game's new first-person shooter approach. "It was always going to be an FPS," Starbreeze game director Neil McEwan tells them. "The original nub of the idea was to take that viewpoint from the original game and zoom into the Agent's head, and play that part. A closer experience - to become one of those Agents."

In spite of the genre change, he still feels they can be true to the original. "We're big fans of the original Syndicate, and we're definitely paying as much homage to it as we can - bringing across the essence of the world, the core essence of what it is to be an Agent," he explains. "That sounds wanky but it's true - we're taking the Persuadatron and evolving it in different ways, the weapons and brutality. On both facets of the game, the co-op and the single player, it's very key to stay true to it." He also offers this reassurance for disgruntled Bullfrog fans: "I think the game speaks for itself. We've been very lucky to work with a great, original world, and create another facet of it really. I would love them to like it. You're never going to please everyone."

View
97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

37. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Neither of those can pay for Starbreeze. And yeah, they can hire a cheaper staff, but would you rather a cheap EA staff make a new Syndicate game or would you rather a hungry indie make a Syndicate-inspired game?
I'll take option A. Whatever StarBreeze manages to create here, it isn't going to be anything at all like Syndicate. About as close as they're going to get is having a Persuadatron and a dystopian setting. All because some jackass at EA wanted to "exploit the Syndicate brand".

Syndicate wasn't about the agents doing the damage. It was about using the agents to carry out your missions, and building up your resources to take on more difficult missions while trying to preserve those agent assets that you'd sunk so much time and money into. It was about finding fun and interesting ways to kill people and blow shit up. About planning a precision assault or an absolute massacre, whatever gets the job done.

Whatever they make, it'll just end up dragging down the Syndicate name, just like Shadowrun did. Now when people think of Shadowrun, they remember that crappy game from Microsoft that flopped.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:40 Tanto Edge

mag wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:01:
Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter

"Do you like my hat? It's made of money."

LOLAHAHA hahahaha HAHAHAhaHAHAHWAHA HAWAWAWAHHAHAWAAAWWWWAAAAAhAAwaaaaa wAAWAWAAAAA*SOB*SOB*SOB*SOB*WAAAAAAAHHHHH *sniff*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

35. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:30 Hump

I'm sure Starbreeze will do justice to the game but the title will have the same issue that games like Shadowrun faced.....they insist on tagging the game as a defacto sequel rather than use the IP as a starting point to expanding the scope of the original while leaving open the possibility of doing a proper follow up. Simply putting "a Syndicate Universe Game" would make a LOT of folks more open to whats being done. Unfortunately, like FASA not being open to another naming convention to placate the hardcore may very well kill the studio.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

34. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:29 Beamer

Bhruic wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 23:12:
That would sell about 200k copies.

Bullshit. Look at how well some of the indies are doing with nothing but word of mouth and some Steam exposure. And we aren't talking mainstream FPS type games either.

If a company like EA got behind making a true sequel in the style of the previous Syndicates, and did some decent marketing for it, it'd easily top 500K sales, if not 1M.
Oooo, 500k sales!
Oooo, 1M sales!

Neither of those can pay for Starbreeze. And yeah, they can hire a cheaper staff, but would you rather a cheap EA staff make a new Syndicate game or would you rather a hungry indie make a Syndicate-inspired game?

And what indies are selling over 200k on Steam? Come on, how many are there? Now how many are isometric tactical games?

The number is far smaller than you seem to think. Amnesia hit 200k in 4 months and made it to 350k in another 6. How many games do you think have done as well as Amnesia?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:22 ZorakMantis

"I don't want people to stop playing the old games, but time has moved on."

Translation: a game more in line with the original classic wouldn't work on consoles.

On another note, the original Syndicate was rather light on cover...

32. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:20 WyldKat

Alpha Geist wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 20:55:
The standalone four-player campaign features levels based on those of the original and its sequel Syndicate Wars. Designer Rickard Johansson talked this up - "hopefully co-op is a great nod towards the old gang" - but argued that the old Syndicate formula had had its day. "I don't want people to stop playing the old games, but time has moved on."

So at best, all they can do is HOPE that the co-op is a nod towards the old gang?

Ugh...don't even get me started on the whole "time has moved on" quote.

If EA/Starbreeze's reinvention of Syndicate mixed in qualities of Battlezone (or Battlezone II), then I wouldn't be so disappointed. That was one FP RTS game I really got a kick out of.

Heck, are there any other games similar to that of BZ/BZII, past or present?

Now where did I put my BZ CD at...

Wait... they actually said "Time has moved on?"

Tell that to the Madden and NFS franchise or any other host of EA games.

No it's more like... "Well those games were made by talented developers whose company we bought out, we're unable/unwilling to match their creativity so have a Deus Ex clone and be happy about it."

31. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:20 Beelzebud

elafos wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 20:38:
First X-Com and now this?

Correction: First Fallout, then X-Com, and now this...

30. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:18 WyldKat

"I think the game speaks for itself. We've been very lucky to work with a great, original world, and turn it into something completely different. I would love to cash out on the cyberpunk craze resurrected by Deus Ex: Human Revolution. We're never going to please everyone because we're only in it for the benjamins."  

29. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:12 Bhruic

Bullshit. Look at how well some of the indies are doing with nothing but word of mouth and some Steam exposure. And we aren't talking mainstream FPS type games either.

If a company like EA got behind making a true sequel in the style of the previous Syndicates, and did some decent marketing for it, it'd easily top 500K sales, if not 1M.

28. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:04 briktal

Annex wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:47:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:02:

Let some indie do that. It doesn't need to be Syndicate - let them create a new world with new twists in plot, setting and gameplay.

Fine so why not call this FPS game something other than Syndicate and have them hire a studio that actually wants to make a true sequel?

Because they aren't jaded gamers wishing everything was like it was back when they were younger and gaming wasn't so mainstream. Maybe they, like lots of people probably have, thought "oh man wouldn't a Syndicate FPS be cool?"

27. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:47 Annex

Let some indie do that. It doesn't need to be Syndicate - let them create a new world with new twists in plot, setting and gameplay.

Fine so why not call this FPS game something other than Syndicate and have them hire a studio that actually wants to make a true sequel?

26. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:45 Cutter

beigemore wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:31:
How is it that every developer that takes on an old IP is always a "big fan" of the original? I seriously doubt that. Otherwise they'd have issues with changing the genre, as well.

Exactly. And how would you please everyone when not everyone played or liked the originals anyway? Shouldn't the people who did be the ones you're aiming to please? No one is saying you can't do an FPS with a dystopian flavour, just call it something else because it's not Syndicate anymore than MS' Shadowrun was really Shadowrun. Hell, the potential for a good FPS based on Syndicate is great, however, all we really wanted was an updated game of the original.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:44 briktal

beigemore wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:31:
How is it that every developer that takes on an old IP is always a "big fan" of the original? I seriously doubt that. Otherwise they'd have issues with changing the genre, as well.

Have you seen the kinds of art and stories fans of other IPs create?

24. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:31 beigemore

23. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:30 Beamer

Bumpy wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:22:
"That would sell about 200k copies" is the sad truth in today's ADD saturated market.

And I don't see any way to change this fact.

What would really make this game interesting if they did both view points, something like Raven Squad only better.

While, granted, the market was different, but how many copies of Syndicate Wars do you think were sold?

People keep comparing this to Shadowrun, but which do you think sold better - the SNES Shadowrun or the Xbox Shadowrun?

-------------

22. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:22 Bumpy

"That would sell about 200k copies" is the sad truth in today's ADD saturated market.

And I don't see any way to change this fact.

What would really make this game interesting if they did both view points, something like Raven Squad only better.

21. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:16 briktal

Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:12:

That, right there, is about all you needed to say.

And that's the problem in a nutshell. If they remade the original with expanded missions, improved AI, more research options, multiple objective and multiple outcome scenarios, added more tactical options and a destructible environment...it would be a blast! For about 200k - 300k people including the ones who remember and love the original Syndicate(like me).

The extra brain required to play and master something like that would chase away your console audience in a flash. And lets face facts, the console is where most big budget games are aimed. Dumbing down for console is where publishers and developers believe the monetary sweet spot is. Do the math...

Dude! You're gettin' a Dell FPS!

I don't know, a bunch of those fans of the old game would be upset because the same strategies or weapons aren't as effective or because they changed the color of the UI or something.

20. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:12 Slashman

That, right there, is about all you needed to say.

And that's the problem in a nutshell. If they remade the original with expanded missions, improved AI, more research options, multiple objective and multiple outcome scenarios, added more tactical options and a destructible environment...it would be a blast! For about 200k - 300k people including the ones who remember and love the original Syndicate(like me).

The extra brain required to play and master something like that would chase away your console audience in a flash. And lets face facts, the console is where most big budget games are aimed. Dumbing down for console is where publishers and developers believe the monetary sweet spot is. Do the math...

Dude! You're gettin' a Dell FPS!

19. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:02 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:50:
This is my sentiment exactly. Remake the original with 3/4 perspective. With modern graphics, totally destructible environments, strategic gameplay, weapon and augmentation economy, and multiple paths to mission victory, this game would have fantastic potential. It would also have gameplay that doesn't come out very often these days: Missions that have tight squad-based tactical RTS gameplay with strategic mode for upgrades and economic management in between.

-------------

18. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 21:55 Dev

"he still feels they can be true to the original"

No, I don't think so.

97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo