Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop's Tablet Plans

GameStop announces plans to start selling GameStop-branded Android tablets this holiday season that will "come preloaded with exclusive content." Things are still a bit vague about this, though word is they are also looking into creating some sort of controller to go along with the tablets. "We are evaluating which tablets to carry in stores this holiday and the chosen tablets will be capable of delivering a great gaming experience using the latest chip technology," said GameStop spokeswoman Wendy Dominguez. This may or may not connect with GameStop's recent revelation of plans to accept trade-ins and resales of Apple iOS portable devices.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 15, 2011, 20:43 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Sep 15, 2011, 15:55:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 19:27:
I paid for the app and received a key in one case and in the other case I paid and got the app package which I transferred to my phone. Neither of those methods will be device limited.
Technically they could still be tied to the phone, if they were something that activated one time and phoned home to do it.

That's possible but I was thinking I would just contact the developer if I had an issue and they could send me another key.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 15, 2011, 15:55 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 19:27:
I paid for the app and received a key in one case and in the other case I paid and got the app package which I transferred to my phone. Neither of those methods will be device limited.
Technically they could still be tied to the phone, if they were something that activated one time and phoned home to do it.

15. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 19:27 Sepharo

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 18:41:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 17:43:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:56:
I don't like how Apple charges $500 for a device and then acts after the fact like they still own it.

Sorry, but IMO, Android is far worse: you have *zero* ability to move purchases between Tablet A and phone B, as the purchase is tethered to the device, not the account.*

In that respect, Apple is already superior. The majority of my investment will be in the software and music, not the hardware. Let me move it as I see fit to upgrade.

^D^

* Unless, of course, this has changed since last year when was considering an Android tablet.

Wow, if you're serious about that, I agree that's a massive shortcoming on Android's part. That's the same problem Wii and DS owners have right now and given Android's open nature, if anything I expected it to be the opposite. For all the things I do hate about Apple, I will give credit where credit's due in that allowing things to move based on the account is much more user friendly. Even if you buy stuff on the Android Marketplace, it doesn't track it by account?

I believe it's just up to the developers. Unlike Apple's devices, with Android you can legitimately download your apps from anywhere so I've gotten my few paid apps from the developers' sites themselves.

14. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 18:41 Parallax Abstraction

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 17:43:
I don't like how Apple charges $500 for a device and then acts after the fact like they still own it.

Sorry, but IMO, Android is far worse: you have *zero* ability to move purchases between Tablet A and phone B, as the purchase is tethered to the device, not the account.*

In that respect, Apple is already superior. The majority of my investment will be in the software and music, not the hardware. Let me move it as I see fit to upgrade.

^D^

* Unless, of course, this has changed since last year when was considering an Android tablet.

Wow, if you're serious about that, I agree that's a massive shortcoming on Android's part. That's the same problem Wii and DS owners have right now and given Android's open nature, if anything I expected it to be the opposite. For all the things I do hate about Apple, I will give credit where credit's due in that allowing things to move based on the account is much more user friendly. Even if you buy stuff on the Android Marketplace, it doesn't track it by account?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

13. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 17:43 ^Drag0n^

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

12. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 11:04 Alamar

EddieTheHack wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:54:
Its funny watching GameStop skitter around like an ant, too and fro, attempting to avoid the fate it is destined to fulfill. They really are grasping at any thread of relevance and screaming how much gamers need them, all the while viciously lashing out at their demographic like the petulant child they are. Good riddance Game Stop. You will not be missed. No tears will be shed. Your just another failed paradigm on the ash heap of history. Say hello to beta max for us.

Hey now, no need to insult Beta... It was a superior product, that failed to live up to the mass-production world VHS was in...

It's a good reminder, for things like that other thread where we talked about how 'new products' are made to last as little time as possible so you can buy the new hotness... Better products don't survive, because we as consumers choose to buy the cheap shit all too often ; )

-Alamar

11. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 13, 2011, 10:56 Parallax Abstraction

beigemore wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:38:
People don't give a crap about tablets. They just want iPads.

Many do but it's estimated Apple's tablet market share will be 60% by 2013. It may be by the end of 2013, not sure but I read this yesterday. The iPad will be the dominant force in tablets but other manufacturers are gaining ground fast. Which is good, I don't like how Apple charges $500 for a device and then acts after the fact like they still own it. Hopefully viable alternatives for those of us who like to use our products the way we want will surface.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

10. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 23:07 ForgedReality

Can I rent one and trade it in for some dignity when I get tired of it?  

9. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 22:37 beigemore

Its funny watching GameStop skitter around like an ant, too and fro, attempting to avoid the fate it is destined to fulfill. They really are grasping at any thread of relevance and screaming how much gamers need them, all the while viciously lashing out at their demographic like the petulant child they are. Good riddance Game Stop. You will not be missed. No tears will be shed. Your just another failed paradigm on the ash heap of history. Say hello to beta max for us.

They're probably more comparable to VHS.

8. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 22:35 EddieTheHack

Nate wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:04:

GameStop bought Impulse. Their stores may go away slowly. As long as people buy from Impulse, they will still exist.

Selling their own brand of tablets does seem skitterish though.

Impulse brings no value to the table or unique content. GameStop is strictly a retail outfit, and as such they missed the digital boat given their position as a retailer. EA can launch and sustain origin because they create content. Valve launched and grew steam the same way. GameStop has nothing. Streaming games may take off at some point but that's further down the road than GameStop's legs can carry them. They will continue to be marginalized right into extinction. There is no market demand for impulse. There is no market demand GameStop branded tablets - owning one of these abominations is like having 'twatwaffle' tattooed across your face. I'd wager that almost no one does business with GS because they want to - for used games they are a de facto monopoly in many areas. Lack of options is this chains life blood. Given the prior bad blood GS created and the many options in the digital space they must move into - They are effectively dead. Care to wager if they will exist at all inside 5 years?

7. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 22:04 Nate

GameStop bought Impulse. Their stores may go away slowly. As long as people buy from Impulse, they will still exist.

Selling their own brand of tablets does seem skitterish though.

6. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 21:54 EddieTheHack

5. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 21:52 Dev

lol wut? a gamestop tablet?
Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:28:
Free trial of Impulse!
Good point, I see now where impulse is going. Its going to have any sorta shovelware that will run on a tablet. I wonder how much they will bother to put full PC games on impulse rather than casual if they are going to focus on a tablet.

beigemore wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 21:38:
People want anything iExpensive from iApple.

4. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 21:38 beigemore

3. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 21:28 Creston

Preloaded with exclusive content = preloaded with all that fucking crap you spend the first four hours of your laptop's tablet's life uninstalling.

Free trial of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project!
Free trial of Norton Anti-WhateverMakesYourComputerWork!
Free trial of onLive!
Free trial of Impulse!

Aren't you excited yet?

Creston

2. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 21:09 Sepharo

lol  

1. Re: GameStop's Tablet Plans Sep 12, 2011, 21:02 Ruffiana

I think the plan is to take android phones that have been traded in for new ones, rebrand them, and sell them at a slight discount.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo